SyncBaby - SNES AV Multi-out to VGA D-Sub

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: SyncBaby - SNES AV Multi-out to VGA D-Sub

Post by strayan »

Whelp. Just when I went and bought component cables for my snes and gbs-c.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Glad to see stuff like this, can only hope someday every console will have adapters like this from folks with either DE-15 or even 4(or 5) BNC breakouts! This is becoming more and more of an option (someone here is making similar pigtail-style breakouts and I know someone else who plans to eventually make special DE-15 breakouts with the option for different signals via secondary breakouts/a switch)
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Just ordered one, interested in seeing how it works with my various systems. Have several stock SFCs, an RGB modded SFC Jr, RGB modded AV Famicom, and a Euro Gamecube, and I don't think any of the JP21 cables I've tried work with all of them.

Would certainly be nice to have adapters for other systems, but I'll take what I can get. The less systems I have to use a JP21>BNC adapter for my PVM, the better.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

No luck on the Euro GameCube(which I don't need to use anymore anyway) but otherwise it works great on everything I have with an SNES RGB terminal!

Any chance of adapters for other systems?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Just wanted to chime in and comment on the build quality.of this guy's stuff. It's exceptional. Part selection is top shelf. Wish all my stuff was made this well.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

This is super cool. 3.5mm is preferred for me with VGA to go to my capture cards. As an earlier posted mentioned, VGA to BNC cable is much cheaper than SCART or JP21. I feel like that's an important aspect to market and you could have a bundle for such a cable. Curious what the LM1881 does on SNES CSYNC. Not needed to run to a PVM but I haven't done a quality comparison.

Besides the PS123 idea, it'd be nice just to have a single BNC female in and male out sync stripper with switch for TTL or 75 ohm sync. Not saying it has market potential and I realize LM1881 doesn't standalone solve SoG but I don't want to buy another expensive SCART/JP21 cable or extend the cable length to do one thing.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The stripper is being used to create a sketchy RGBCsV.

Author thinks it will work with HV systems but from what I've seen HV only monitors will freak out with CS on H.
And most monitors accept CS on H and can freak out if V is used also, these monitors strip CS into HV and you end up with a stripped delayed V being fed into raw V.

You can split it properly with a EL4583, I have no idea why he didn't use one its a much better quality IC.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Thanks for the details. I know some monitors will accept H+V on the H but no need to try on my LCDs with VGA input since I'd rather just play on the PVM. The propagation delay is something I hadn't considered. I see the specs sheet on ti.com lists "typical" LM1881 delay of 65 µs with the full range of 32-90. HD Retrovision page states that horizontal sync pulse lasts 4.7µs, so no mismatch between H and V will be acceptable. At least SNES sync voltage is already at TTL level.

One thing I've not heard of in retro gaming cables is apply a capacitive load to lag the voltage (or inductive for current). Maybe H can be delayed to match V and the 65 µs delay would be imperceptible, if that is the only source of lag.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Syntax wrote:The stripper is being used to create a sketchy RGBCsV.

Author thinks it will work with HV systems but from what I've seen HV only monitors will freak out with CS on H.
And most monitors accept CS on H and can freak out if V is used also, these monitors strip CS into HV and you end up with a stripped delayed V being fed into raw V.

You can split it properly with a EL4583, I have no idea why he didn't use one its a much better quality IC.
He does implement some nice Renesas on the SyncSlayer, at least!
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I wanted to order one to cut down on the massive chain I need to get to DVI now for E1S capture card. Got VGA to DVI adapter and VGA to BNC already.

My issue is I'd later want to input into video encoder chips. The AD725, for instance, interprets VSYNC signal to mean H+V and no VSYNC to mean CSYNC on H. TTL voltages expected. Pulling VSYNC low will change the CSYNC polarity, which seems necessary for some arcade PCBs that are positive instead of negative.

Is is too much work for one person's request to put a DIP switch on CYSYNC vs H+V sync? Else just TTL level CSYNC on H is acceptable with no LM1881. I'd pay the same price and I've seen companies charge $10 more for a sync stripper chip version.

...Is there a PS2 to VGA version? Would want sync stripper there.

Meant to add I have NTSC systems.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Syntax wrote: You can split it properly with a EL4583, I have no idea why he didn't use one its a much better quality IC.
Interesting.... I just placed an order for these chips, I'll integrate them on the next PCB run in a couple months or so. Hopefully it will fit okay underneath the AV housing plastic.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Make one for Playstation