Good places to look to buy a HD PVM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Roboplodicus

Good places to look to buy a HD PVM

Post by Roboplodicus »

I'm looking to get a PVM or PC monitor CRT capable of displaying 480p and up resolutions prefferably a widescreen but that's not necessarily a requirement, so far I've been looking on Craigslist.com offerup.com letgo.com and facebook marketplace. I've also looked at ebay and thebroadcaststore.com but buying there seems to be significantly more expensive and I would if possible like to personally check out any screen before I buy it.
Dochartaigh

Re: Good places to look to buy a HD PVM

Post by Dochartaigh »

You can easily find a 15-17" CRT PC monitor which will do 480p in 4:3 ratio (might be able to letterbox 16:9 on those but I don't think so for some reason) - or at least I can always find those in the NJ/PA/NY area around me. 20" ones are pretty rare to find actually.

Other than that you're looking at a PVM-14L5 or 20L5; BVM-D14/20/24/32 (or JVC/Panasonic/Ikegami equivalents) and those you either have to A.) Find a miracle one for sale by some old lady or whoever who doesn't know what she has, or B.) Pay out the ass. No other magical place you can find them for cheap on a regular basis.

Most people will pair a CRT PC monitor for 480p, and a regular consumer TV or PVM for 240p and 480i - makes a very nice combo able to do pretty much everything (including light gun games, and people even run newer systems up to ~Xbox 360 on a 4:3 ratio CRT PC monitor).