Using the OSSC with a DVDO is necessary?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

Using the OSSC with a DVDO is necessary?

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

How much of a substantial boost in quality would feeding a 480p device to the OSSC, which is line doubled, to a DVDO Edge provide, versus just using an OSSC that is line doubled?

I ask because I did some 480p testing on my Wii yesterday and in all honesty I was impressed with the results on my 4K TV (playing metroid prime echoes, melee and megaman NT (forced to 480p)). It doesn't look perfect or as great as what 240p multiplying is capable of but gods be damned I was still impressed. I did try Soul Calibur 2 as well and this is where I was able to really see the flaws of 480p, despite line doubling still being an alright solution. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not too blurry, it just has a weird fuzzy aesthetic, but a sharp fuzziness.

While I'm still impressed, if there's a chance for me to make 480p look even greater, then I will take that chance. Otherwise, I can live with just using the OSSC.

Things to note:
-OSSC is connected to my AVR via HDMI
-Line5x 1920x1200 resolution is supported on my UHD TV
-Line2x 960p resolution is supported as well (for component)
-Feels like there is absolutely no lag at all when using the OSSC (tested ps3's ps1 emu vs ps1 on ossc)
-If I were to theoretically buy a DVDO Edge, I have a seller and price locked down which I am willing to pay if the results are proven to be substantial

Thanks!
Xyga

Re: Using the OSSC with a DVDO is necessary?

Post by Xyga »

Nope the EDGE won't help, that'd be pouring money down the drain.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Xyga wrote:Nope the EDGE won't help, that'd be pouring money down the drain.
This. I wouldn't buy a VP unless I wanted it for movies or the OSSC didn't want to work at all.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Thank you. Since it appears to be more for signal conforming, I will pass on it (since my TV accepts all the signals ossc throws at it).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I couldn't agree more. Adding any secondary processor to the OSSC basically just solves two issues: first one's any potentical compatibility issues with your display (which you don't seem to need, if 5x and 2x on 480p work for you) and second are any aspect ratio issues. A DVDO would give you the possibility to fine adjust the horizontal sizing of your input. Compared to true integer scaling output from the OSSC, this gives you a small dent in terms of quality, but it frees you from the OSSC's incapability to adjust the AR on its own. On a 960p signal* you would gain the possibility to minimize the underscan, but usually your TV can do this to some degree (by enabling overscan).

(* is the Edge compatible with 960p from the OSSC ? I don't remember....)
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Fudoh wrote:(* is the Edge compatible with 960p from the OSSC ? I don't remember....)
Yes, it's compatible without any tweaking needed (unlike the VP50). Shame for the missing Game mode 2 (or is it 1? The one that adds ~20ms).
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

My DVDO Edge is the only way I know how to perfectly stretch & zoom in for PSP games (which will look good with 480p x2), and especially Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions with the unstretch patch enabled.

Other than that though, I prefer to go straight to the TV from the OSSC.