SNES Headphone/RCA Mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ren01

SNES Headphone/RCA Mod

Post by Ren01 »

Long before I purchased a XRGB Mini I use to mod my consoles with S-video connectors and 3.5mm headphone outs so I could use standardized monoprice or cables on the cheap as a cheapskate audiophile. I've modded another snes with an optical output port, but I still prefer the DAC on the OG snes.

Recently my main modded snes got the dreaded black screen with a dead CPU. Since I didn't want to mod my replacement snes, I looked at JP21 RGB cable solutions where I could split the audio, but I'm appalled at what cables are selling for now and many expensive "high end" cables still have audio buzz. Worse yet would be using the horrible audio coming out of the XRGB mini itself.

I have never experienced audio buzz on a white screen or otherwise at high volume with $3 monoprice cables hooked up to my receiver using the headphone jack from my old snes. This mod only requires 4 pins, and if your cable is shitty, just open up the scart/jp21 housing and cut the audio wires on your RGB cable. I can appreciate this still takes time, but with high end 3rd party cables costing close $100 cdn after shipping and brokerage it may be the the most practical for those not living in the US.

On a side note, I use original nintendo JP21 cables for my snes, and the audio that comes through that, although comparable in quality, is noticeably lower in volume than the audio coming out of the headphone jack and much thicker monoprice cables.