So I bought one of those Chinese 100-in-1 SNES carts...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SCARTicus

So I bought one of those Chinese 100-in-1 SNES carts...

Post by SCARTicus »

I got it on eBay for my nephew. I didn’t really know what to expect, but it’s actually pretty dang sweet as far as I can tell. It has a nice, solid red cartridge and it plays nice. The menu has short file names and some typos. Saving works. Games load from the menu instantly, not like my Eversrive MD. It is loaded with Capcom and Konami titles, as well as other commercial releases. As far as I can tell, all 100 are commercial releases. There are no repeats or hacks.

Does anyone elese have any experience with these? Are there any drawbacks that i may not have noticed? It seems like a great way to spend $30...
bobrocks95

Re: So I bought one of those Chinese 100-in-1 SNES carts...

Post by bobrocks95 »

The big scare recently was consoles pushing 5V to modern 3.3V flash memory, and cheap Chinese carts are likely not converting the voltage properly. I think the overall conclusion was that it was bad but not that big of a deal?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Get an SD2SNES instead and play the thousand of games ever released on SNES, only the few Super FX games won't work, such as Tengai Makyou Zero.

bobrocks95 wrote:The big scare recently was consoles pushing 5V to modern 3.3V flash memory, and cheap Chinese carts are likely not converting the voltage properly. I think the overall conclusion was that it was bad but not that big of a deal?
The problem is getting fixed as new models are being released, the newest Mega Everdrive models (X3 and X5) have this issue fixed and the new Master Everdrive (X7) does also have this issue fixed. SD2SNES never had this problem. It's not ideal for now as it'll probably take some time to phase out all the current models which are being affected by this issue, but at least the problem is being addressed and fixed rather than ignored.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Lawfer wrote:Get an SD2SNES instead and play the thousand of games ever released on SNES, only the few Super FX games won't work, such as Tengai Makyou Zero.
I thought there was just a firmware update which made the Super FX games work on the SD2SNES? Or are there still a few that they can't quite get right I guess?
Kez

Post by Kez »

SuperFX support is really good now, and SA-1 may be on the horizon thanks to the same guy.

Tengai Makyou Zero uses a different chip though I think.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Get an SD2SNES instead and play the thousand of games ever released on SNES, only the few Super FX games won't work, such as Tengai Makyou Zero.
I thought there was just a firmware update which made the Super FX games work on the SD2SNES? Or are there still a few that they can't quite get right I guess?
I meant Super Enhancement Chips, for example Tengai Makyou Zero uses the SPC7110 chip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ment_chips

But that's in the to-do list:

https://sd2snes.de/blog/status
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

OP is so clearly not looking to buy an SD2SNES. They're asking if there are any drawbacks to a $30 multicart and you pop in to say buy a $200 flash cart instead? That seems really excessive.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Thank you, Bobrocks. It is for a child to play in an expendable SNES. I just wanted to know if anyone kbew anything about them
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Here's the full technical article on the voltage issue: https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/th ... -consoles/

imo: It's fine for your nephew, I wouldn't expect that he'd use it so much that it would damage his SNES. If it's possible for you to open the cart and take a look at the components that would be preferred, if it at least has a series of resistors then again considering how often it will likely be used I don't think it would be a problem.