How does the stereo audio from the Analogue Nt sounds like?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

How does the stereo audio from the Analogue Nt sounds like?

Post by Lawfer »

I noticed people here mentioned that Stereo Audio mods for the NES/Famicom doesn't sound good and is just not worth it:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53206

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62492

But I noticed that the Analogue Nt has stereo output as 2 RCA jacks:

And I would assume that both the Analogue Nt and Analogue Nt Mini outputs stereo sound through HDMI as well?

So anyone knows if they sound better than what you would get out of a regular NES/Famicom audio mod?
Syntax

Re: How does the stereo audio from the Analogue Nt sounds li

Post by Syntax »

It would either be dual mono or pseudo stereo as no games on the NES were designed for stereo.

The stock mod separates 2 audio channels and puts them on different speakers, its dodgy as and sounds like rubbish.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Syntax wrote:It would either be dual mono
Does Dual Mono sound any good compared to Single Mono?

Also, does the Expansion Audio games (Famicom only) come into play when using Dual Mono or Pseudo Stereo rather than Single Mono? Since it adds three additional sound channels.

Syntax wrote:The stock mod separates 2 audio channels and puts them on different speakers, its dodgy as and sounds like rubbish.
Yeah that's what I read and I don't doubt that it would sound off if no games had any stereo support.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Proper panning requires either using 2 channels per sound or mixing in software, which is why old hardware / games almost never did that: sounds are hard-panned to the left or right.
Last edited by Keade on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You would of already experienced dual mono by plugging a NES into a stereo TV.
Pseudo stereo works by delaying 1 channel.
Its kind of like adding reverb to instruments or vocals, it fattens up the sound.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Syntax wrote:You would of already experienced dual mono by plugging a NES into a stereo TV.
Oh interesting that makes sense, what if you hooked a NES on a receiver with a 5.1 setup? And you set that receiver to "Mono" or "PLII Movie"?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

The Analog Nt creates stereo by panning each sound source in the stereo spectrum:

I guess this can sound OK. The main problem for me would be that now certain game sounds will always come from a direction, like gunfire in a shmup always coming from the right independent of where the ship is actually on-screen.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ASDR wrote:The Analog Nt creates stereo by panning each sound source in the stereo spectrum:

I guess this can sound OK. The main problem for me would be that now certain game sounds will always come from a direction, like gunfire in a shmup always coming from the right independent of where the ship is actually on-screen.
So conclusion, is that even with this mono is still preferable?
Keade

Post by Keade »

Lawfer wrote:So conclusion, is that even with this mono is still preferable?
ASDR wrote:I guess this can sound OK. The main problem for me would be that now certain game sounds will always come from a direction, like gunfire in a shmup always coming from the right independent of where the ship is actually on-screen.
Says it all.

It is a bit comparable to graphic filters like Super Eagle, 2×SaI etc.: this is trying to add information that wasn't there in the first place. With these stereo mods/settings you are arbitrary panning sounds, because there was not any proper positional information to begin with.
You should try it for yourself to decide, this is easy using emulators. Idk about NES emulators, but WinUAE have a simple setting for stereo separation. You will want to set the separation much lower if using headphones / intra.