* Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:24 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Preventing disc rot
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

Lord of Pirates wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:
Yhaa hopefully someone who actually knows can chime in and ease our minds lol

I have a huge collection of games. almost 80% of them are still factory sealed and 90% of them have not even been played yet.

The thing is though I plan on playing all of them. Yes its a huge backlog but the reason why I own all these physical games in the first place is because I thought 20 years down the road I can finally open up my factory sealed PS3/PS4 game and give it a go.

Now we have this crap about disc rot.... what is a gamer suppose to do :(

Don't worry or obsess about it. If you store (upright, no temp or humidity extremes) and treat them properly it's unlikely you'll have any problems.

You should avoid sealed copies if you intend to play them; the disc inside could be damaged no matter how nice the outside looks. I recently got a sealed laserdisc and side B is completely unplayable.

I buy sealed copies of games for a number of reasons.

- Support the developers
- The game is going to work when I break the seal vs not sure if it will boot up buying it used
- Sometimes the only way to buy the game is factory sealed

qmish wrote:
Quote:
The thing is though I plan on playing all of them

great! i hate mindset of "sealed forever"

I'm not one of those collectors who cares about games being sealed. As long as I own a physical of the game complete.. I am happy. Oh also I have to enjoy the game to keep it in my collection.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm 

Actually buying new is more of an issue vs buying used if we are talking super old stock.* Since you are talking about supporting the devs I am guessing you bought it all near the time of release though. If you are worried about all your old sealed games working you can sell them and buy open working copies or open them and find out.

*There is also the drama of what the item is being sold for on eBay. Is it being sold as a collectible? Stuff is supposed to be returned in the same condition it is bought on eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm 

I'm constantly buying games all the time. That is the one big reason why I'm so back logged. I buy more than what I can play.

Most of the old stuff I have were bought new and have been opened. If I missed out on a game that was for an older console.. I have no issues buying it used

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm 

I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown. If it does start becoming a huge rampant problem then we will find out about it quickly, because no ones games will work and everyone will be screwed. We are so far from that point right now though.

Even in a format much more prone to rot like LD it is overblown by people outside of the hobby. Proper storage is the key.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

yeah ive seen those pinholes in cds. i always said wtf, i thought that somehow it got scratched.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown.

I second that. Yes, there are unfortunate exceptions (mostly due to bad manufacturing), but all in all, disc rot isn't a problem (I hope I don't regret saying this 50 years from now).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 pm 

The only disc I own that has any rot is my Japanese copy of Donpachi for the Saturn. But that's almost definitely caused by a manufacturer defect, as there is a small bump on the top side of the disc, and all the rot is located near that. Luckily none of it is anywhere near the data of the disc, which is all placed near the center, so the game works perfectly fine. Though I suspect that it may or may not get worse in the near future, I only noticed it a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's getting worse or it's been like this forever :)

https://i.imgur.com/03acgdM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P1DR8VK.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 pm 

Thomago wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown.

I second that. Yes, there are unfortunate exceptions (mostly due to bad manufacturing), but all in all, disc rot isn't a problem (I hope I don't regret saying this 50 years from now).

In 50 years it very well could be a widespread issue. I hope I'm alive to find out heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

Fifty years' time I'm gonna be perving on nurses in the retirement home. Assuming my dick still works. :shock:

I remember trap once mentioning that even Mask ROMs will decay eventually, just at a far slower rate than optical media. Sounds horrible but again I don't think I'll be in much shape to care, and the youngins will have TEH ROMZ to make up for it.

Offline Profile