Preventing disc rot

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Preventing disc rot

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown. If it does start becoming a huge rampant problem then we will find out about it quickly, because no ones games will work and everyone will be screwed. We are so far from that point right now though.

Even in a format much more prone to rot like LD it is overblown by people outside of the hobby. Proper storage is the key.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

yeah ive seen those pinholes in cds. i always said wtf, i thought that somehow it got scratched.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown.
I second that. Yes, there are unfortunate exceptions (mostly due to bad manufacturing), but all in all, disc rot isn't a problem (I hope I don't regret saying this 50 years from now).
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The only disc I own that has any rot is my Japanese copy of Donpachi for the Saturn. But that's almost definitely caused by a manufacturer defect, as there is a small bump on the top side of the disc, and all the rot is located near that. Luckily none of it is anywhere near the data of the disc, which is all placed near the center, so the game works perfectly fine. Though I suspect that it may or may not get worse in the near future, I only noticed it a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's getting worse or it's been like this forever :)

https://i.imgur.com/03acgdM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P1DR8VK.jpg
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Thomago wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I honestly would not worry about it. I think I said it already earlier in this thread but disc rot is very overblown.
I second that. Yes, there are unfortunate exceptions (mostly due to bad manufacturing), but all in all, disc rot isn't a problem (I hope I don't regret saying this 50 years from now).
In 50 years it very well could be a widespread issue. I hope I'm alive to find out heh.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fifty years' time I'm gonna be perving on nurses in the retirement home. Assuming my dick still works. :shock:

I remember trap once mentioning that even Mask ROMs will decay eventually, just at a far slower rate than optical media. Sounds horrible but again I don't think I'll be in much shape to care, and the youngins will have TEH ROMZ to make up for it.