Is this a valid method to prepare for OSSC usage?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

Is this a valid method to prepare for OSSC usage?

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

I have read about TVs not being able to support resolutions that OSSC can multiply to. I've seen the resolutions that were listed in the junkerhq website and tested these with my computer on my TV, and my TV was able to render my desktop with every resolution I gave it (1280x960, 1600x1200, 1920x1200). It's a Sylvannia 4K 55" UHD TV.

Am I good to go?

I've already bought the OSSC but I didn't read into the unsupported modes until after the device shipped.
nmalinoski

Re: Is this a valid method to prepare for OSSC usage?

Post by nmalinoski »

It's good that your TV will take those resolutions, but it still may not like the refresh rates, jitter, or interlacing that may come with certain consoles and/or OSSC configurations that you won't be able to replicate with your PC's video output.

Also, I believe if you want to check for resolution compatibility for linedoubled 480p, which is 720x480, you should try 1440x960.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

my understanding is that because the 3/4/5x modes don't conform *exactly* to any VESA resolution (since they are exact integer scales of the source) you really can't test compatibility that way
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

My first recommendation is to prepare your mind to cushion the blow in case most modes fail; meditate, enter a zen state, then quietly try the OSSC with various sources on your TV.

My second recommendation - if no luck - is to save for a new TV known to handle all consoles and modes (or at least those that matter to you)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

You can certainly test those non-standard resolutions with a PC, but the non-standard timings are what mighty still bite you. The way I understand it is that the OSSC derives its output clock from the source clock. And refresh rates of old consoles are all over the place. SNES with its 60.08Hz, PCE is 60.28, NTSC modded PAL consoles are quite low (59.3 or so). Many TVs don't accept these at all or do very poor framerate conversion, introducing lag/jitter/tearing. Plus, some consoles like the SNES have other peculiarities where every other frame a single scanline has odd timing. The OSSC passes this right on to its output. Your TV might be perfectly fine with it, draw a glitchy scanline or just lose sync completely.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FWIW, I have found that you can't trust the OSSC front display to always report the exact correct refresh rate. So, it's not 100% safe to use the OSSC to discover a console's refresh rate.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

ASDR wrote:NTSC modded PAL consoles are quite low (59.3 or so).
That is an incorrect generalization. It really depends on the console. For instance, PAL N64 playing an NTSC game runs a bit faster than an NTSC N64. Besides, for a lot of consoles it's easy to include a proper timing crystal in a mod so refresh rates are correct.

As for the OSSC: Maybe I've been lucky with the tv's I've used, but with the current firmware I've been able to play every console I own with it, if not at every line double mode.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Makinx wrote:
ASDR wrote:NTSC modded PAL consoles are quite low (59.3 or so).
That is an incorrect generalization. It really depends on the console. For instance, PAL N64 playing an NTSC game runs a bit faster than an NTSC N64. Besides, for a lot of consoles it's easy to include a proper timing crystal in a mod so refresh rates are correct.
Interesting, thanks!
Makinx wrote: As for the OSSC: Maybe I've been lucky with the tv's I've used, but with the current firmware I've been able to play every console I own with it, if not at every line double mode.
Loosely following the OSSC compatibility thread I'm also surprised that many newer TVs do quite well with the OSSC. I'd have expected that new TVs would be getting worse as they shed their analog inputs. Realistically, 99% of consumers will only ever use the build-in tuner/YouTube/Netflix apps and hook up a PS4/cable box/Apple TV etc., all with completely standard resolutions and refresh rates. Little incentive to test for / support oddball inputs. My old main TV handles absolutely everything nicely, either directly through its analog inputs or through the OSSC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Nobody going to mention up-to-date PC modelines? Or are those not valid for testing anymore?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Also be aware of incompatibilities with *any* hdmi equipment in your chain.

Switches, splitters, audio extractors, receivers, repeaters. Any single component can cause your whole chain to fail for inexplicable reasons. Be prepared for the very real possibility that you'll need to hook your OSSC directly to your tv with a short hdmi cable (because length of 6 feet vs 2 feet really did affect one of my tests for unknown reasons)
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Well my 55" 4KTV supports 240p Line2x3x4x5x. Running at 1920x1200 is shockingly crisp and clean. I guess I'm good to go ^_^
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I'm bored... so I decided to chime in :)

If your looking to use the OSSC on a CRT PC Monitor there are some HDMI to VGA adapters that will perform differently.

For some odd reason my Tendak HDMI to VGA converter adds this unstable shimmering to the image. Also for some odd reason with the Tendak the Audio out does not work. But it will work with other HDMI inputs which is strange.

I found the Porta HDMI to VGA converter worked best as there was very little noise in the image and the audio worked fine.

Just putting it out there.