Game Room - Phase 1

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Game Room - Phase 1

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I think I have everything clear, in theory at least, as I still need to buy some hardware

My setup will have two monitors right now... There will be 4 monitors in the future, when all it's finally configured (the other two monitors will be for modern consoles and will be in another zone of the game room)

For what I call "Phase #1", there will be two monitors:

1) PVM-2370QM that will be replaced in the future with a PVM-2950QM : for 240p and 480i consoles and computers, including those downscaled from 480p to 240p, and a VHS player

2) Hantarex CT28EV that will be replaced in the future with a NEC-2960Plus: this is a multisync monitor and it does support up to 800x600 (I've been told it also supports 1024x768, but I'm not sure about it). This will be mostly for 480p consoles, DVD player, and PC computers (both retro and emulation)

I will be using various switchers connected to a Crosspoint 8x8 HVA, that I will be using only for video switching, as audio will be routed externally

So, do you think this setup will work?

VIDEO:

RGB: w-Hydra (16x1) -> Crosspoint Input #1 -> Crosspoint Output #1 + #2
Component: gscompw (8x2, next version) -> Crosspoint Input #2 -> Crosspoint Output #3 -> Transcoder -> VGA Switcher
VGA: Extron MVX 88 VGA (8x8) -> Crosspoint Input #3 -> Crosspoint Output #4 -> 480p to 240p Downscaler
Downscaler -> Crosspoint Input #4 -> Crosspoint Output #1 + #2

Composite video hardware can be connected to the RGB switcher without any problem, or even having a separate composite switcher connected to another Crosspoint input and routed to Crosspoint Output #1 + #2

S-Video needs to be converted to another video signal... I think it can be converted to RGB or VGA, right?

To have all posibilites covered, there may be some really old consoles with RF video. Following Fudoh's advice, I'll use an external TV tuner, like the Sony TU-1041

AUDIO: All switchers will have separate audio output via RCA cables, and they will be connected to a RCA Audio Switcher. The output of this switcher will be connected to an amplifier with speaker and headphones options

This setup should work, at least in my head, do I have something missing?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Nodoyuna on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvsfan

Re: Game Room - Phase 1

Post by mvsfan »

for the RF You could bypass the RF module in those consoles With an RCA jack to give yourself composite video. its easy. most consoles already have an amplifying transistor right before the RF box so you dont even need any extra parts besides an Rca jack. I know the Turbografx is like that.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

the "standard" way to connect systems with RF output to monitors with composite video is to use an external TV tuner, either in form of a VCR (bulky) or a dedicated tuner box like the Sony TU-1041. No magic to that and not particular expensive either.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I understand the setup is correct, right?

I've changed / updated the RF "section" with Fudoh's advice
mvsfan wrote:for the RF You could bypass the RF module in those consoles With an RCA jack to give yourself composite video. its easy. most consoles already have an amplifying transistor right before the RF box so you dont even need any extra parts besides an Rca jack. I know the Turbografx is like that.
I will mod as many RF consoles as I can to composite or better (if possible), but there are systems which RF is the only option, and there is not any video mod to change that
the "standard" way to connect systems with RF output to monitors with composite video is to use an external TV tuner, either in form of a VCR (bulky) or a dedicated tuner box like the Sony TU-1041. No magic to that and not particular expensive either.
This seems to be a great option for RF-only hardware... And is not expensive :)
I suposse there are not anything like an RF Switcher, right?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

which consoles are those?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Channel F and Digitek 2001 for me. I also have no interest in modding my Odyssey 2 or Colecovision. I don't like the look of those consoles on modern displays, anyway. It looks wrong.

You can get professional grade stuff. I found a Videotek demodulator that does a good job without using heavy handed digital processing. Nothing makes RF great, but it lets me fine tune the signal and it has adjustable filtering.

;) Don't need RGB anyway. I got these screen overlays! ;)
We apologise for the inconvenience