Extron Crosspoint questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Extron Crosspoint questions

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

Following recommendations of people on the forum and other places, I've bough an 8x8 Extron Crosspoint.

As far as I know, I can use any type of video type (VGA, RGB, S-Video...) as input, as long I'm using BNC cables, and I can select what input goes into what output, having various monitors connected at once

I have a couple questions, for a start :)

1) Can I use, for example, a SCART switcher as one of the inputs? This way, I can use the SCART cables I already have and only need to buy one SCART to BNC cable for plugging into the Crosspoint, instead of having to buy one cable for every console I own

2) Is it easy to program?

3) I want to use a Super Emotia or similar device to downscale to 240p, this way I should not need to use VGA to SCART cables. Where should I put the Emotia? I'm supposing it should be plugged this way: Crosspoint Output -> Emotia -> Monitor. Is this correct?

4) Also, I'd like to use some Extron RGB to be able to center the screen whitout need of go to the back of the monitor. Where should it be connected?

Thanks in advance
Dochartaigh

Re: Extron Crosspoint questions

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nodoyuna wrote:As far as I know, I can use any type of video type (VGA, RGB, S-Video...) as input, as long I'm using BNC cables, and I can select what input goes into what output, having various monitors connected at once
Basically....yes. But you can't for instance (and you probably already know this) have an S-Video source (like N64 or GameCube), and have it come out the output side as RGBS for a RGB monitor or anything like that (it purely passed through the SAME signal only).

To the other questions:

1.) Yes.

2.) SUPER easy to program. Setup it up like you want, then hold the 'Preset' button, then choose a number (#1-8 input buttons), then enter and it'll save all those settings.

3.) I have my scalers (bunch of TVOne Corio2's for excellent 480p > 240p downscaling) looped back into the Crosspoint so I can choose ANY input to run through the downscaler, then can likewise output that signal to ANY monitor I have hooked up. If you do it your way you loose the ability to run it to any monitor you want to (and can only output to the single monitor the downscaler is directly hooked up to. So my chain, if I'm going to downscale OG Xbox 480p to 240p for example, goes as such:

OG Xbox (or any other console) plugged into an Input of the Crosspoint > Crosspoint Output to Downscalers Input > Downscaler output to Crosspoints Input > Crosspoint Output to monitor of your choice.

...and you can of course save this routing through a saved preset so you never have to link everything like that again.

4.) It may be able to be used this way but I've never had luck with it - mostly because the screen most commonly (in my experience) needs to be SCALED as well as shifted up/down/left/right. I also always want to use DSPS feature on my Extron RGB (mostly with 480p sources), which disables the centering controls - there's supposed to be someway to get both but I could never get that to work either. - let us know if you figure out anything as this could be useful to some people.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi, thanks for your answers
Basically....yes. But you can't for instance (and you probably already know this) have an S-Video source (like N64 or GameCube), and have it come out the output side as RGBS for a RGB monitor or anything like that (it purely passed through the SAME signal only).
Well, didn't knew that really.... I thought the crosspoint had some type of signal converter inside :)

I think I should not have any problem with component, vga, composite or rgb signals.

S-Video seems problematic for me... It should be converted to another signal before entering the crosspoint, right? How can I do that?
I have my scalers (bunch of TVOne Corio2's for excellent 480p > 240p downscaling) looped back into the Crosspoint so I can choose ANY input to run through the downscaler, then can likewise output that signal to ANY monitor I have hooked up. If you do it your way you loose the ability to run it to any monitor you want to (and can only output to the single monitor the downscaler is directly hooked up to. So my chain, if I'm going to downscale OG Xbox 480p to 240p for example, goes as such:

OG Xbox (or any other console) plugged into an Input of the Crosspoint > Crosspoint Output to Downscalers Input > Downscaler output to Crosspoints Input > Crosspoint Output to monitor of your choice.

...and you can of course save this routing through a saved preset so you never have to link everything like that again.
Wich exact model is your Corio2 downscaler? Is it expensive?

My plan is to have a monitor for 240p and another one for 480p. That's why I thought the route I posted was correct, but now I think, after your answer, that, if the 480p monitor is a multisync one, with your routing I should be able to downscale and output the 240p video to both monitors at once, right?

BTW, Is it enough with a 8x8 crosspoint or should I get a bigger one, like a 16x16?

Also, the audio part is configured the same way as video?
It may be able to be used this way but I've never had luck with it - mostly because the screen most commonly (in my experience) needs to be SCALED as well as shifted up/down/left/right. I also always want to use DSPS feature on my Extron RGB (mostly with 480p sources), which disables the centering controls - there's supposed to be someway to get both but I could never get that to work either. - let us know if you figure out anything as this could be useful to some people.
I thought the centering using an Extron RGB unit would be a easy task. In the retrorgb site they recommend a couple models with the only purpose of centering the screen and also for fix some sync problems
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

If you get a 1616 it gives you more room to do things like route your scalers back to inputs.

On my extron I have a GBS input as an output, and the gbs output loops back to an extron input that I can then route to whatever screen.

The SMX series are great as you can pick and choose what blades you want to run.

I have a 6 slot SMX 1616 vga. Its about half the size of the crosspoint and does everything it can and more.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:I think I should not have any problem with component, vga, composite or rgb signals.

S-Video seems problematic for me... It should be converted to another signal before entering the crosspoint, right? How can I do that?
S-Video doesn't have to be converted--the CrossPoint will switch it just fine, but you'll get S-Video out the other end, like Dochartaigh said--but, if you want to run the output of the CrossPoint into something that needs YPbPr or RGB, you'll need a decoder; something like the Kramer FC-4040 or FC-4044. You might see some cheaper and more readily-available converters, and even cheap presentation switchers, like the Extron IN1508, but these don't handle 240p properly.

If, however, you're okay with going straight from composite/S-Video to HDMI, you should look into the RetroTINK 2X, which does just that.
Nodoyuna wrote:BTW, Is it enough with a 8x8 crosspoint or should I get a bigger one, like a 16x16?
It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to use the CrossPoint as a video switch, and hook all your consoles to it, then you should get one with as many inputs as you need. Personally, I don't think you're going to need more than 8 outputs, but I'm not sure the larger 16- or 32-input ones come with only 8 outputs--in any case, you're going to have plenty for your two displays, plus overhead for adding something like an OSSC for display on an LCD, one or more capture devices, and anything else you might want to send your video output to.

You should be mindful that CrossPoints:
  • Don't support automatic switching, so, every time you want to change inputs, you'll have to press the Preset button, then the corresponding input button to select that profile;
  • Will require configuring a separate profile for each input (Not difficult, just that your initial setup will be a little time-consuming);
  • Only support 75Ohm sync on a handful of inputs (My 8-input CrossPoint only supports 75Ohm on the first four inputs), so any RGBS (SCART) consoles beyond these compatible inputs will likely require you to boost their sync signal to TTL levels with an RGB interface;
  • Only support analog stereo audio, and only via Phoenix connectors; so you won't be able to switch digital audio from consoles like the Xbox or PS2, and you'll either need to spend a chunk of money on a ton of premade adapters, or spend a bit less by getting parts and making your own. (If you make your own, be sure to get Phoenix connectors with the tails and use zip ties to secure the cables, which makes the connection more sturdy and puts less stress on the wires.)
If you favor automatic switching, and want to save a little bit of money on cabling, you can do what I do and use SCART and/or component switches, like the gscartsw for SCART consoles, and the gcompsw or Audio Authority 1154A (depending on your need for optical audio) for YPbPr component consoles (Disclaimer: I only own/use an AA component switch at this time), then use the CrossPoint as a distribution amp to split the video to your two displays. With this approach:
  • You need fewer inputs, so you can afford to get a smaller CrossPoint, like an 8x8 or 12x8 to save some money and space (My 8x8 only cost me ~$35 USD plus shipping);
  • It's easier and cheaper to get quality SCART and component cables for game consoles than it is to get SCART<->BNC adapters or console to BNC cables;
  • Using a separate SCART switch means you only need one SCART->BNC adapter to connect to the CrossPoint, rather than one for each of your consoles (which you mentioned), which means you're only occupying one 75Ohm input for N consoles;
  • Component switches can simply be connected with cheap and plentiful female RCA to male BNC adapters, and don't use a separate sync line, so they can be fitted to a TTL input
Of course, then you're only using the CrossPoint as a large distribution amp, but you'd at least be able to split the output between your two displays, and you can always add in an OSSC to output to a large LCD as well, and/or add in a capture device; and, as a bonus, it significantly reduces the amount of configuration needed.
Nodoyuna wrote:Also, the audio part is configured the same way as video?
Audio and Video are passed together, unless you have a model that allows decoupling and you specifically choose to configure audio and video separately. Normally, you configure inputs and outputs by pressing an input button (which illuminates the Audio and Video buttons off to the right, indicating both will be switched), then pressing the buttons for the outputs you want to send that input to, then saving that as a preset using the instructions Dochartaigh gave you.

If you only want to route Video or Audio, after you select your input, press either the Audio or Video button to deselect that component (What is left illuminated is what gets switched), then select the output(s) you want that component to go to. This will, for example, let you take Video from input 1 and put it on outputs 1 and 2, while sending the audio to outputs 3 and 4. For me, this was useful to send audio from input 1 (component) to all the component and S-Video outputs, since I only ever had one or the other connected, and both needed to be run through the decoder. (Admittedly, my setup is more complex than it really should or needs to be.)
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Syntax wrote:If you get a 1616 it gives you more room to do things like route your scalers back to inputs.

On my extron I have a GBS input as an output, and the gbs output loops back to an extron input that I can then route to whatever screen.

The SMX series are great as you can pick and choose what blades you want to run.

I have a 6 slot SMX 1616 vga. Its about half the size of the crosspoint and does everything it can and more.
Do you have any link?

Thanks
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

If you need a link to find what I'm talking about you should probably stick with a crosspoint and readily available console to bnc cables.

Go google EXTRON SMX VGA you might be surprised what you find..
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

S-Video doesn't have to be converted--the CrossPoint will switch it just fine, but you'll get S-Video out the other end, like Dochartaigh said--but, if you want to run the output of the CrossPoint into something that needs YPbPr or RGB, you'll need a decoder; something like the Kramer FC-4040 or FC-4044. You might see some cheaper and more readily-available converters, and even cheap presentation switchers, like the Extron IN1508, but these don't handle 240p properly.

If, however, you're okay with going straight from composite/S-Video to HDMI, you should look into the RetroTINK 2X, which does just that.

Well, the S-Video will go to the PVM-2730 monitor... I've checked ebay for a Kramer converter but there are nothing available right now, only some really expensive models (I suppose they will be more complex)
It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to use the CrossPoint as a video switch, and hook all your consoles to it, then you should get one with as many inputs as you need. Personally, I don't think you're going to need more than 8 outputs, but I'm not sure the larger 16- or 32-input ones come with only 8 outputs--in any case, you're going to have plenty for your two displays, plus overhead for adding something like an OSSC for display on an LCD, one or more capture devices, and anything else you might want to send your video output to.

Yes, 8 outputs are more than I really need... At last, my setup should have 4 monitors, so I still have another 4 outputs available... But at the same time, I think I can need more than 8 inputs, so I'll look for a 16 input one
You should be mindful that CrossPoints:
Don't support automatic switching, so, every time you want to change inputs, you'll have to press the Preset button, then the corresponding input button to select that profile;
Will require configuring a separate profile for each input (Not difficult, just that your initial setup will be a little time-consuming);
Only support 75Ohm sync on a handful of inputs (My 8-input CrossPoint only supports 75Ohm on the first four inputs), so any RGBS (SCART) consoles beyond these compatible inputs will likely require you to boost their sync signal to TTL levels with an RGB interface;
Only support analog stereo audio, and only via Phoenix connectors; so you won't be able to switch digital audio from consoles like the Xbox or PS2, and you'll either need to spend a chunk of money on a ton of premade adapters, or spend a bit less by getting parts and making your own. (If you make your own, be sure to get Phoenix connectors with the tails and use zip ties to secure the cables, which makes the connection more sturdy and puts less stress on the wires.)

No problem having to press a button for change inputs... I like buttons :D

I don't think the setup process should be problematic for me...

Component and VGA are not RGBS, right?

I've ordered one of those Phoenix cables to test...

I don't fully understand the problem with the audio from XBox or PS2...
If you favor automatic switching, and want to save a little bit of money on cabling, you can do what I do and use SCART and/or component switches, like the gscartsw for SCART consoles, and the gcompsw or Audio Authority 1154A (depending on your need for optical audio) for YPbPr component consoles (Disclaimer: I only own/use an AA component switch at this time), then use the CrossPoint as a distribution amp to split the video to your two displays. With this approach:
You need fewer inputs, so you can afford to get a smaller CrossPoint, like an 8x8 or 12x8 to save some money and space (My 8x8 only cost me ~$35 USD plus shipping);
It's easier and cheaper to get quality SCART and component cables for game consoles than it is to get SCART<->BNC adapters or console to BNC cables;
Using a separate SCART switch means you only need one SCART->BNC adapter to connect to the CrossPoint, rather than one for each of your consoles (which you mentioned), which means you're only occupying one 75Ohm input for N consoles;
Component switches can simply be connected with cheap and plentiful female RCA to male BNC adapters, and don't use a separate sync line, so they can be fitted to a TTL input

My plan is to have switchers for each type of input (RGB, VGA, Component, and I have a presentation extron that have 4x4 S-Video and composite) and plug each switch to the crosspoint inputs. I think this way I can maximize the number of consoles I can use and have some inputs left for other stuff that won't be "ready to use".

Even can daisychain two SCART switchers and plug the output to the Crosspoint input :)
Of course, then you're only using the CrossPoint as a large distribution amp, but you'd at least be able to split the output between your two displays, and you can always add in an OSSC to output to a large LCD as well, and/or add in a capture device; and, as a bonus, it significantly reduces the amount of configuration needed.

This got me confused... Isn't the purpose of the Crosspoint to be used as a big switch?
Audio and Video are passed together, unless you have a model that allows decoupling and you specifically choose to configure audio and video separately. Normally, you configure inputs and outputs by pressing an input button (which illuminates the Audio and Video buttons off to the right, indicating both will be switched), then pressing the buttons for the outputs you want to send that input to, then saving that as a preset using the instructions Dochartaigh gave you.

If you only want to route Video or Audio, after you select your input, press either the Audio or Video button to deselect that component (What is left illuminated is what gets switched), then select the output(s) you want that component to go to. This will, for example, let you take Video from input 1 and put it on outputs 1 and 2, while sending the audio to outputs 3 and 4. For me, this was useful to send audio from input 1 (component) to all the component and S-Video outputs, since I only ever had one or the other connected, and both needed to be run through the decoder. (Admittedly, my setup is more complex than it really should or needs to be.)

It would be cheaper to use a separate switch for audio and use RCA cables instead of those Phoenix adapters?

My plan was to get audio output from each switcher and connect them to an audio switcher with RCA cables. Then the output of the audio switch to an amplifier and then to the speakers / headphones

Will be any lag between audio and video if I do this kind of approach?

Thanks
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Those Phoenix adapters are all types of annoying.

If you try buy a x5 for 1 input youll find out pretty fast they don't fit side by side.

You need to get x10 pin Phoenix adapters and some of these

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/fr9TRi2Y

https://oshpark.com/profiles/paalfe
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski already touched upon a lot of these while I was typing, but since I already typed it up ;) here's some more info for you:

For S-Video (or Y/C), that can be split into 2x BNC's - one carrying the Y and the other carrying the C signal. You'll have to do this on both sides. Dongles going from S-Video to two BNC's are available online (even official Extron ones if you can find them). **I read in the other topic that your monitor, maybe an EU/JN model??? doesn't have S-video so this may be a moot point.

The most affordable 480p to 240p TVOne device is the C2-400 model (you can search this forum for that and pull-up a bunch of topics where people talk about it). Seem to be around $90 shipped on eBay now. And yes, I can route both the 480p to one monitor(s), then the 480p>240p downscaled to another monitor(s) with the Crosspoint once I have everything looping back into the Crosspoint.

For which Extron Crosspoint I use size-wise, I use an 'Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 3232 HVA' myself but I have a hole bunch of converters/scalers/etc. I run back through mine which is why I needed a large switch like that. Only have maybe 5 inputs, and 8 outputs left...

For Extron RGB and centering, I only use my Extron RGB Rxi 203 for problematic consoles like DreamCast and Wii which like to skew the top of the image on BVM's. So on those I ALWAYS have the DDSP and SERR dipswitches turned on (which disables the centering knobs on the front). My problem is also 95% of the time about scale (the image not stretching left-to-right far enough, or being not tall enough so I get weird programming-ish crap on the bottom or top of the image) and not too much about centering...so I've never investigated further about using an Extron RGB interface to simply move the image up/down/left/right.

nmalinoski wrote: You should be mindful that CrossPoints:
[*]Only support 75Ohm sync on a handful of inputs (My 8-input CrossPoint only supports 75Ohm on the first four inputs), so any RGBS (SCART) consoles beyond these compatible inputs will likely require you to boost their sync signal to TTL levels with an RGB interface;
They're not for that, per the manual those switches are for conditioning "non-TTL sync levels greater than 5V p-p". Since no video game system I know of has anything greater than 5v (which is roughly in the realm of VGA/RGBHV sync levels) we don't have to mess around with the 75 or 510Ω switches. Even if I'm understanding the manual incorrectly, I have 14 systems hooked into my Crosspoint and all work perfectly fine with the level of sync straight out of the console.

nmalinoski wrote: Audio and Video are passed together, unless you have a model that allows decoupling and you specifically choose to configure audio and video separately. Normally, you configure inputs and outputs by pressing an input button (which illuminates the Audio and Video buttons off to the right, indicating both will be switched), then pressing the buttons for the outputs you want to send that input to, then saving that as a preset using the instructions Dochartaigh gave you.
All of the Extron Crosspoint Ultra and Crosspoint 450 Plus models I've seen (even the older ones without light-up buttons) were all able to independently switch audio and video - I've never seen a Crosspoint where you can't do that (I've only owned the 128, 1616, and 3232 so far though). Basically if it has an Audio and Video separate buttons over to the right it should let you throw whatever input to whatever output you want, individually or grouped.
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Nodoyuna wrote:
Which exact model is your Corio2 downscaler?
You want a Corio2 upscaler unit. The 1T-C2-400 is fine.

Do not buy a Corio2 downscaler. In this case, "downscaler" means that you will get 480i output. That's not what you want.
We apologise for the inconvenience
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:Well, the S-Video will go to the PVM-2730 monitor... I've checked ebay for a Kramer converter but there are nothing available right now, only some really expensive models (I suppose they will be more complex)
Personally, I don't think I'm going to hang onto my RGB decoder indefinitely; for me, I see it as a stepping stone or a compatibility workaround while I save up for RGB and/or HDMI mods for my consoles, since support for these (an YPbPr) is way more commonplace these days than composite and definitely S-Video, even if RGB and YPbPr are still deprecated.
Nodoyuna wrote:Component and VGA are not RGBS, right?
Correct, but this can get confusing. "Component" and "VGA" refer to the cabling, where RGBS is the type of signal being transmitted (RGB plus composite sync). "VGA", in the context of cabling, specifically refers to cables with the 15-pin DE-15 connector (also referred to as HD-15 and VGA); and, in the context of video signals, refers to RGBHV (RGB with horizontal and vertical sync signals on separate wires).

"Component" is probably the most confusing term. Technically, it refers to any cabling where components of the video signal are split into multiple wires--basically anything that isn't composite video or RF--so S-Video (YC), YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, and RGBHV are all technically "component video"; however, "component" is more often than not used to refer to YPbPr video signals and the 3x RCA cable used to transmit it; you'll really need to pay attention to the context. Like I said, it gets confusing.
Nodoyuna wrote:I don't fully understand the problem with the audio from XBox or PS2...
The PS2 and Xbox, as well as later consoles like the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, support digital audio and surround sound via TOSLINK (optical fiber), and there are a slew of modifications for other and older consoles, like the SNES, Dreamcast, GameCube, and so on, that provide digital stereo via TOSLINK. If you're not set up for optical audio, or you have no desire to use it, this issue is moot; but, if you're like me and a handful of others, you have to route your optical audio around your CrossPoint, because these older RGB units have no capability to switch optical audio--just analog stereo over the Phoenix connectors. (It's technically possible, but with additional hardware, custom software, and lots of added complexity.)
Nodoyuna wrote:My plan is to have switchers for each type of input (RGB, VGA, Component, and I have a presentation extron that have 4x4 S-Video and composite) and plug each switch to the crosspoint inputs. I think this way I can maximize the number of consoles I can use and have some inputs left for other stuff that won't be "ready to use".
You should be careful with the presentation switchers; in my experience, they never support 240p (they incorrectly always apply deinterlacing), and the scalers cannot be disabled; so they will always introduce lag. If you meant you have a 4x4 composite/S-Video matrix switch, then you can disregard this.
Nodoyuna wrote:This got me confused... Isn't the purpose of the Crosspoint to be used as a big switch?
Yes, it is; but it doesn't have to be. If you're going to hook up individual consoles directly to the CrossPoint, then yes, it's a big, manual switch with all the pitfalls I mentioned; but, if you're going to hook your consoles up to switchers for each input type, like you said, then you can feasibly configure it to only use one profile.

If your monitor only supports, say, RGBHV (VGA), you could run output from your composite/S-Video, component, and RGBS siwtches through converters to get RGBHV, hook output from those converters into your VGA switch, then just hook output from your VGA switch into the CrossPoint, and use the CrossPoint to duplicate that one input to multiple monitors, all without having to press any buttons on the CrossPoint itself.

In one of my use cases, my CRT TV supports S-Video, but not my LCD (nor my OSSC), and I wanted to directly use that S-Video signal on my CRT instead of sending the output from a converter to both displays; so I put S-Video on one of the CrossPoint inputs, which gets sent to two outputs. One of those outputs goes directly to the CRT, while the other goes to an RGB decoder, which sends YPbPr to my component switch. That component switch sends its output back to a different input on the CrossPoint, which also gets duplicated, with one output going to the CRT, and the other output going to my OSSC, then ultimately to my LCD. A big reason I had for doing it this way is that the Kramer FC-4044 I have seems to generate a good amount of visual noise, which is mitigated by the OSSC's low-pass filter, but not by my CRT.
Nodoyuna wrote:It would be cheaper to use a separate switch for audio and use RCA cables instead of those Phoenix adapters?

My plan was to get audio output from each switcher and connect them to an audio switcher with RCA cables. Then the output of the audio switch to an amplifier and then to the speakers / headphones

Will be any lag between audio and video if I do this kind of approach?
Depends entirely on how you set it up. If you were planning to hook everything directly to your CrossPoint, then yes, that would be cheaper, at the expense of then having to manually switch inputs on the CrossPoint and a separate audio switch. If it was all Extron equipment, I assume there's a way you can link them together, so that when you change input on the CrossPoint, input is automatically changed on the audio switch; but that would involve additional equipment to monitor and remote control your switches, which just means increased complexity.

Since you're planning on connecting a handful of switchers to the CrossPoint (4 by my count), and you only need one output running to a speaker system that will be used for both displays, it would probably be easiest to just buy or make 5 of the Phoenix adapters. If you want to do/can manage what I suggested and run all your switchers into each other, then you won't need any Phoenix adapters; you can just run output from the final switch directly into your audio system.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: You should be mindful that CrossPoints:
[*]Only support 75Ohm sync on a handful of inputs (My 8-input CrossPoint only supports 75Ohm on the first four inputs), so any RGBS (SCART) consoles beyond these compatible inputs will likely require you to boost their sync signal to TTL levels with an RGB interface;
They're not for that, per the manual those switches are for conditioning "non-TTL sync levels greater than 5V p-p". Since no video game system I know of has anything greater than 5v (which is roughly in the realm of VGA/RGBHV sync levels) we don't have to mess around with the 75 or 510Ω switches. Even if I'm understanding the manual incorrectly, I have 14 systems hooked into my Crosspoint and all work perfectly fine with the level of sync straight out of the console.
Thank you for that clarification; I haven't been using my CrossPoint with anything with separate sync signals, so I haven't had an opportunity to test that for myself.

nmalinoski wrote: Audio and Video are passed together, unless you have a model that allows decoupling and you specifically choose to configure audio and video separately. Normally, you configure inputs and outputs by pressing an input button (which illuminates the Audio and Video buttons off to the right, indicating both will be switched), then pressing the buttons for the outputs you want to send that input to, then saving that as a preset using the instructions Dochartaigh gave you.
All of the Extron Crosspoint Ultra and Crosspoint 450 Plus models I've seen (even the older ones without light-up buttons) were all able to independently switch audio and video - I've never seen a Crosspoint where you can't do that (I've only owned the 128, 1616, and 3232 so far though). Basically if it has an Audio and Video separate buttons over to the right it should let you throw whatever input to whatever output you want, individually or grouped.[/quote]
This is good to know. Perhaps I was thinking of matrix switchers from other manufacturers?
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

You should be careful with the presentation switchers; in my experience, they never support 240p (they incorrectly always apply deinterlacing), and the scalers cannot be disabled; so they will always introduce lag. If you meant you have a 4x4 composite/S-Video matrix switch, then you can disregard this.
The one I have is a MPS-112 unit. Anyway, I think I'll upgrade it to individual switchers... This one has 4x1 composite, S-Video and VGA, but for example, I need more than 4 VGA inputs

For S-Video, I've found an Extron MAV 84 SVA RCA 8X4 S-Video And Audio Matrix Switcher... I still need some way to convert S-Video to something that can be displayed on my 240p monitor. This one has RCA for audio, so I won't need to use those Phoenix adapters with it :)

For VGA, I've found and Extron MVX 88 VGA And Audio Switcher. This one uses Phoenix cables for audio output, but minijack for audio input

Are these switchers OK? I'd like to have my game room mostly configured for the end of the summer :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:For S-Video, I've found an Extron MAV 84 SVA RCA 8X4 S-Video And Audio Matrix Switcher... I still need some way to convert S-Video to something that can be displayed on my 240p monitor. This one has RCA for audio, so I won't need to use those Phoenix adapters with it :)

For VGA, I've found and Extron MVX 88 VGA And Audio Switcher. This one uses Phoenix cables for audio output, but minijack for audio input

Are these switchers OK? I'd like to have my game room mostly configured for the end of the summer :)
Those switchers will work fine. I tend to favor automatic switchers over matrix switchers, so I personally would go with something like an Extron SW SVA RCA series switcher for S-Video (the RCA models have RCA audio inputs, but I can usually only find the 4-input ones on eBay), and an Extron SW VGA series switcher for VGA (which, as a bonus, will switch all of composite, S-Video, YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, and RGBHV, as long as it's connected with a DE-15 connector).

On the bright side, if you get one of those VGA matrix switchers, you won't need a CrossPoint; you can just use two of the outputs on that.

As for converting S-Video, you should look at the RetroTINK 2X, paired with a cheap mini (not micro) HDMI to VGA adapter. You can set it to passthrough mode, and hook it directly into your VGA switch. It'll have no perceivable lag, and it'll probably cost around $120 USD plus shipping. Just keep in mind that you can only safely have one device hooked up to the RetroTINK 2X at a time, so if you need to convert all of composite, S-Video, and SD-only YPbPr component (so not 480p or higher), you would need three of these boards.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Thanks...

I've been able to find an Extron SW SVA RCA with 6 S-Video inputs and 1 output and the same for audio

In fact, it can output via S-Video or BNC for video, and RCA or Phoenix for audio

What I don't know if the Sync input / output is needed for something? Maybe it's needed when conected to an Crosspoint input?

I don't think there should be many more that 6 needed inputs for S-Video, right?

Right now, I have 3DO and C64 with S-Video output, and even the 3DO has a RGB mod available, so it should left its place for another device

As far as I know, only 1st gen consoles can be modded for S-Video, right?

Stuff like Atari 2600, Intellivision or Odyssey 2... Do you know any more?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Extron will switch regardless of it actually having input or output.