PVM-2730 Questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

PVM-2730 Questions

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I have bought a PVM-2730QM monitor. It's my first pro-monitor, as I've always used TV's for retro gaming.

I have a couple questions about the monitor

1) Does it somehow support S-Video? I've plugged an S-Video source to the SCART socket but it shows the image in black and white

2) About scanlines. They are much more present at the edges of the screen, and it goes fuzzier as they aproach the center of the screen, like it had some anti-aliasing effect applied. Is that as the monitor it's supposed to work or is there something not working at it's should?

Thanks in advance
Kez

Re: PVM-2730 Questions

Post by Kez »

I believe it has a dedicated s-video input?
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I believe it has a dedicated s-video input?
It seems there is a model with S-Video input, but mine does not have, and instead of BNC for RGB, it does have SCART
Kez

Post by Kez »

Ah, my mistake. Here is the service manual for what I think is your model:

https://ia800606.us.archive.org/6/items ... Manual.pdf

Page 2 shows the SCART pins - s-video is not normally supported via SCART and that is the case here. There is no "chroma" pin. The reason you are getting a black and white image is you are sending luma to the composite video pin (i.e. composite video without colour).

I haven't read the manual fully but it doesn't look like there's a way to get s-video in (without converting it to something else first).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nodoyuna wrote:2) About scanlines. They are much more present at the edges of the screen, and it goes fuzzier as they aproach the center of the screen, like it had some anti-aliasing effect applied. Is that as the monitor it's supposed to work or is there something not working at it's should?
If you put up a pure white screen (while in 240p) will you see some red and blue color (instead of pure white) toward the edges of the screen?

If so, your convergence is off and will need to be adjusted. If it's like my PVM-3230 there will be a couple of pots instead of just one (which work for different parts of the screen). The Service manual will tell you how to do this - but please research so you do it safely.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

If you put up a pure white screen (while in 240p) will you see some red and blue color (instead of pure white) toward the edges of the screen?

If so, your convergence is off and will need to be adjusted. If it's like my PVM-3230 there will be a couple of pots instead of just one (which work for different parts of the screen). The Service manual will tell you how to do this - but please research so you do it safely.
Yes, there is a red line on the right edge of the screen. Also, the screen is like "curved to the inside" on the right edge. Left edge seems OK

Also, the screen is displaced a bit to the left, so I need to center it too

Now a couple questions:

1) If I center the screen, will be enough and all the consoles will be centered? I only use Japanese consoles, but also use computers and those are PAL

2) More or less the same question as previous one. If I fix the convergence, all the stuff will be displayed correctly?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

For S-Video you need an adapter which splits the Y/C signal of S-Video into Y and C separate (2x) BNC's then you can plug those into the Crosspoint.

For "curved to the inside", that's the geometry which also needs to be adjusted via pots inside the machine.

Once you fix the convergence (either via the pots, and/or adjusting the yoke, and/or convergence strips) it will be fixed for all inputs.

For centering, no, each console (even different consoles of the same type) can and will be slightly different from each other. You just have to get it centered so it's decent for each system - it will never, ever, be perfect for every system at all. This is why most video game designers allowed for some overscan of the image so it's just a little bit lenient with the edge margins.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:For S-Video you need an adapter which splits the Y/C signal of S-Video into Y and C separate (2x) BNC's then you can plug those into the Crosspoint.
This won't help S-Video get displayed on the monitor; like Kez said, S-Video will need to be decoded to RGB (maybe YPbPr; I didn't read the monitor's manual) before it will be usable on this display.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

For S-Video you need an adapter which splits the Y/C signal of S-Video into Y and C separate (2x) BNC's then you can plug those into the Crosspoint.
nmalinoski wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:For S-Video you need an adapter which splits the Y/C signal of S-Video into Y and C separate (2x) BNC's then you can plug those into the Crosspoint.
This won't help S-Video get displayed on the monitor; like Kez said, S-Video will need to be decoded to RGB (maybe YPbPr; I didn't read the monitor's manual) before it will be usable on this display.
So, I need the adapter to plug the S-Video cable to the Crosspoint and a decoder to convert the S-Video to RGB, right?
For "curved to the inside", that's the geometry which also needs to be adjusted via pots inside the machine.

Once you fix the convergence (either via the pots, and/or adjusting the yoke, and/or convergence strips) it will be fixed for all inputs.
Great! ... Now it seems I will need to dive on the back of the monitor and adjust some things... Any other thing I should aware for fixing?

Colors are great, BTW
For centering, no, each console (even different consoles of the same type) can and will be slightly different from each other. You just have to get it centered so it's decent for each system - it will never, ever, be perfect for every system at all. This is why most video game designers allowed for some overscan of the image so it's just a little bit lenient with the edge margins.
For centering I need to use the grid, right? I never understood how it works... Should I left the red squares out of the screen or they need to be seen?

I have another more question:

The AV switch on the back need to be ON for RGB and OFF for composite, right?

Also, what's the "superimpose" switch do? I've read the manual but I don't really understand it's purpose

Thanks
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nodoyuna wrote:For centering I need to use the grid, right? I never understood how it works... Should I left the red squares out of the screen or they need to be seen?
Ideally you should have the outside border of the red (the outer-most bounds of the grid pattern) all visible. BUT, I like to cut off the outside red border so the image on my monitor is completely edge-to-edge (and especially on curved screens this is needed as those edges have a different cut-off point than the center top/bottom/left/right of the screen because of that curve).

The entire red box is supposed to be the overscan area, which is supposed to be (at least particlly) hidden on consumer TV's (as in out of bounds of what you can physically see on screen), and is supposed to be a safety zone of sorts (as in don't ever put any graphics which you need to see inside the red area), but I think those red boxes are like 5 times larger than they should be (because if everything in those red boxes was covered/non-viewable, you would be missing like every life meter in every game I know of).