Ultra HDMI "Mode Unsupported"

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
darkforce256

Ultra HDMI "Mode Unsupported"

Post by darkforce256 »

Hello everyone, I have an older Ultra HDMI board installed in my N64. I've used it a lot when I first got it (over a year ago) I turned it on today and my TV is giving me Invalid Format, Mode Unsupported, Resolution not supported etc. I've tried it on a few different TVs and through a framemeister they all can't display what the mod is displaying. I attempted the L + R + A + B + Z at start up to reset defaults but it still won't give me an image. It reset briefly and I got a picture for a few minutes I reset the console thinkning it was fixed and turned it back on and black screen again. Any ideas?
pyroman512

Re: Ultra HDMI "Mode Unsupported"

Post by pyroman512 »

Could it be that you had direct mode enabled?

http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/install ... _guide.pdf

Try seeing if you can reset it to defaults again, but when you do make sure you save the default settings. Maybe you reset the settings but it is still loading the last saved profile settings.
darkforce256

Post by darkforce256 »

Yes I have been trying to reset defaults on it using the hotkeys holding down r l a b and z at start up and it isn't resetting. Tried different controllers. I have a new mini hdmi cable on the way I pray that that is the problem but it worked perfectly for months.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

You have to hold down the reset button to boot with defaults enabled. The IGR button combination does not work afaik as the N64 has to start reading the controller first before the UltraHDMI can detect any button inputs. Also it should be much easier to hold down the reset button instead of pressing the button combination while powering the system on.

If this does not work, reach out to MarshallH for any support. It's his product he is selling.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Not that you should need to buy any additional hardware, but if you or someone you know has or can get an OSSC and an HDMI to VGA converter, you could hook up the N64 to AV3 on the OSSC to see precisely which video mode(s) the UltraHDMI is outputting; and, if it's something like 240p or 480i, and your display can't deal with that directly, the OSSC can line-double that to 480p, which should work on your display and should help debugging your issues.
darkforce256

Post by darkforce256 »

borti4938 wrote:You have to hold down the reset button to boot with defaults enabled. The IGR button combination does not work afaik as the N64 has to start reading the controller first before the UltraHDMI can detect any button inputs. Also it should be much easier to hold down the reset button instead of pressing the button combination while powering the system on.

If this does not work, reach out to MarshallH for any support. It's his product he is selling.
That was a good idea, I have an old firmware and it doesn't have IGR so I held down reset as I powered on and still didn't fix anything, I'll bug marshall if I can't come across a solution but I know he's super busy.
darkforce256

Post by darkforce256 »

nmalinoski wrote:Not that you should need to buy any additional hardware, but if you or someone you know has or can get an OSSC and an HDMI to VGA converter, you could hook up the N64 to AV3 on the OSSC to see precisely which video mode(s) the UltraHDMI is outputting; and, if it's something like 240p or 480i, and your display can't deal with that directly, the OSSC can line-double that to 480p, which should work on your display and should help debugging your issues.
I plan on getting an OSSC sometime soon so I can wait if I can't find a solution, good idea. I just can't figure out how it got set to HDMI direct mode when I havn't touched it at all. I plugged it into a half dozen TVs and computer monitors seems like at least one of them should have been able to display it.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

The older kit still has a test point that can be used to reset to defaults. Heck, it can be used for IGR too if you update the FW and manage to solder to it (MUCH harder). Since you only need to short it once that shouldn’t be a problem.

Take apart your system.
Locate the test point jumper right next to the UltraHDMI FPGA.
Touch it with something conductive and turn the system on.
Wait a few seconds and remove your probe from the test point.
Wait a few seconds and power cycle? (may not be required... I dunno)
darkforce256

Post by darkforce256 »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I found the problem. I was using a cheap mini HDMI to HDMI adapter on the back of the console and somehow it stopped making a good enough connection. I bought a mini HDMI cable off Amazon and it works again.