Question Regarding Genesis Model 1 Expansion Port Pinout

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
infidelity

Question Regarding Genesis Model 1 Expansion Port Pinout

Post by infidelity »

As a test, with my Sega CD running, I would like to disable the RESET button on my Genesis, from resetting the Sega CD back to its title screen & ejecting the tray.

I've been looking at the expansion port diagrams online of the model 1 Genesis, to see which pin handles the RESET function, but I don't know abbreviations for that system, the only thing I see is DISK, so idk if that's where the connection is when you press the RESET button?

The point for all of this, is that I have a hard reset function via button combination with my 6 button controller, which takes me back to the Mega Everdrive menu, I can exit back from both Gen/32x, but not within the Sega CD. I want to be able to get back to my menu from within the Sega CD, but I need to disable the RESET function.

If anyone knows which trace to sever, please let me know, thanks!

Edit - Or, is there a way to change the Sega CD, from checking if a cartridge is connected or not, to always present? Cause from the Everdrive I'm able to select any CD bios file to start the system, so I don't need the Sega CD looking to get permission.

Please help! Thanks!
citrus3000psi

Re: Question Regarding Genesis Model 1 Expansion Port Pinout

Post by citrus3000psi »

infidelity wrote:As a test, with my Sega CD running, I would like to disable the RESET button on my Genesis, from resetting the Sega CD back to its title screen & ejecting the tray.

I've been looking at the expansion port diagrams online of the model 1 Genesis, to see which pin handles the RESET function, but I don't know abbreviations for that system, the only thing I see is DISK, so idk if that's where the connection is when you press the RESET button?

The point for all of this, is that I have a hard reset function via button combination with my 6 button controller, which takes me back to the Mega Everdrive menu, I can exit back from both Gen/32x, but not within the Sega CD. I want to be able to get back to my menu from within the Sega CD, but I need to disable the RESET function.

If anyone knows which trace to sever, please let me know, thanks!

Edit - Or, is there a way to change the Sega CD, from checking if a cartridge is connected or not, to always present? Cause from the Everdrive I'm able to select any CD bios file to start the system, so I don't need the Sega CD looking to get permission.

Please help! Thanks!

Take a look at this pinout and hook up a scope/voltmeter to the pins that go to the IC's It might tell you whats going on during a reset.

https://gamesx.com/cartouts/gennyport.htm