*Update Mods can remove - Any info on this scaler? AVT-3900

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
korpse413

*Update Mods can remove - Any info on this scaler? AVT-3900

Post by korpse413 »

Howdy, found this scaler at work. Any info or experience with it? AVT-3900

Link to imgur album below, can post pictures to thread if needed
https://imgur.com/a/opOcZND
Last edited by korpse413 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Re: Any info on this scaler? AVT-3900

Post by orange808 »

TVOne's low end products are rebranded ("rebadged") inexpensive Chinese electronics; Monoprice and KanexPro do the same thing. It's not really a TVOne engineered product.

This looks like a fairly standard little Chinese box. The chances of proper 240p handling is very very low.

No frame lock. It always outputs set refresh rates, so there will always be frame rate conversion. That also guarantees there's a full frame buffer. Scrolling will not be smooth.

Because there's always a full frame buffer, you can expect at least a frame of lag (probably more) for progressive sources.

Deinterlacing will add more lag. For video game content, the deinterlacing will probably be poor. Expect the (ugly) deinterlacing to add a frame or three of lag.

The first preset for audio delay is 40ms. That's probably close to the delay time for deinterlacing. (I'm just guessing, but I bet I'm right.)

Internal processing is anybody's guess, but I would not expect full 4:4:4 chroma. It's probably 4:2:2. Worst case scenario is 4:2:0 and that is a real possibility. 480p scaling probably isn't good.

No programmable output timings. No PIP, POP, flip, or rotation.

I see a few preset aspect ratio/overscan/underscan settings to choose from. You can't configure the output size very much.

It's a TVOne product and they wouldn't sell anything that bypasses DRM. So, you can expect DHCP to be enforced.

This box is good for a cheap projector setup for impromptu classroom/conferences. Maybe good for feeding a pocket projector onto a wall for fast training sessions in a food service or retail backroom.

I can't think of any reason why we would need or want one.
We apologise for the inconvenience
korpse413

Re: Any info on this scaler? AVT-3900

Post by korpse413 »

Thanks for the info orange! I will mark thread for deletion, figured I'd ask in case there was any hope :)