Good quality SCART Switcher WITH RCA Audio out?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Good quality SCART Switcher WITH RCA Audio out?

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

This next week I'll receive my recenty purchased PVM-2950QM :D

It does come without speakers, and I've been told that I'll get more audio quality by routing audio "outside" the monitor, instead of connect the audio input of the back and get the speakers for audio output

Problem is that neither gwscartw or Hydra have separate RCA audio output, so I need to search a SCART switcher of good quality and audio out

What should be the best option for this?

Thanks in advance
strygo

Re: Good quality SCART Switcher WITH RCA Audio out?

Post by strygo »

The newer model of Hydras do have audio out. The Hydra 2 isn't available yet, but the Mini Hydra has this:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=159

I have a W-Hydra and it has worked great for my setup.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The manual Bandridge 5 output SCART switcher has a very good picture apparently once you severe a trace inside, and it has RCA outputs. The MLIG comparison video made it look pretty great
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Do any of the suggested switches offer any real hardware features to improve the output or do they simply pass the audio to the RCA jacks? Because, you can get very inexpensive SCART break out boxes that just wire the pins to the RCA.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

The newer model of Hydras do have audio out
Didn't knew that... I'll get one of these :D
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Why is it so important to route audio directly from the switch to your sound system? Why not just route audio from the SCART to BNC/RCA cable you'll need for your PVM to your audio system? Or use something like these SCART audio breakouts?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I know I might be the only here using these but I still can't recommend them enough. First one I bought a year ago, still working great. Currently I'm waiting for the next one to arrive and I probably won't need any more soon as 12 inputs is perfect for me. On my Dreamcast with a Toro and Scart cable even the well regarded "Madcatz Universal Scart Selector" has good amount of brightness loss and more importantly ghosting. The Otaku RGB switch on the other hand is perfect.
It's nice to be able to save on expensive Scart to BNC breakout cables also. Obviously you can use the Scart output but with the RCA's out you have wide access to cheap quality cables and you pick which lengths work for you. I use some Thor branded RCA to BNC leads and results are great, also still easy to find on the cheap as it's older product from the plasma TV days. Got some nicely shielded RCA to 3.5mm cable going to speakers input, all sorted :P
Last edited by werk91 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

nmalinoski wrote:Why is it so important to route audio directly from the switch to your sound system? Why not just route audio from the SCART to BNC/RCA cable you'll need for your PVM to your audio system? Or use something like these SCART audio breakouts?
Hi

My PVM is an European version and it already has SCART input on the back. Also, I'm using a generic SCART switcher and need to upgrade for a better quality one.

So, as I'll buy a new switcher anyway, I'm interested in one with the separate audio
werk91 wrote: know I might be the only here using these but I still can't recommend them enough. First one I bought a year ago, still working great. Currently I'm waiting for the next one to arrive and I probably won't need any more soon as 12 inputs is perfect for me. On my Dreamcast with a Toro and Scart cable even the well regarded "Madcatz Universal Scart Selector" has good amount of brightness loss and more importantly ghosting. The Otaku RGB switch on the other hand is perfect
This one seems great, as it also does have component inputs... Do you know if it can work as SCART and component at the same time? (I mean, depending on the console that's working)
werk91

Post by werk91 »

If by at the same time you mean you either plug the Component cable OR the Scart cable per input then yes, that's how it's designed to work. You can't do Scart AND component on one input though, while it'll work provided only one is ever active at one time I'm pretty sure you'll get noise in the picture, much like how you're only meant to use either the RCA outs or the Scart out :) I agree the Component version is very versatile and I kinda wish I had more consoles that I use over component to make it worth having it.
phanboy4

Post by phanboy4 »

FinalBaton wrote:The manual Bandridge 5 output SCART switcher has a very good picture apparently once you severe a trace inside, and it has RCA outputs. The MLIG comparison video made it look pretty great
Have a Bandridge manual switch, concur that it's the best cheap option.

Just don't buy a marked up one from US sellers if you can import one from Europe more cheaply.