PAL PS2 with NTSC games on Sony PVM-14N1 = black and white

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
geeb

PAL PS2 with NTSC games on Sony PVM-14N1 = black and white

Post by geeb »

Hello.

I have a PS2 90004 (PAL model) which is modded with ModBo chip to play games from all regions. I have it hooked up to a Sony PVM-14N1MDE which supports PAL, NTSC, NTSC443, NTSC COMB, SECAM. I use S-video cable to connect my PS2 to the PVM. The PVM also has a single BNC input, but I have no idea where to find a cable to connect my PS2 to the single BNC input.

If I boot PS2 without a disc inside, the menus work all in PAL, so I set my PVM settings to PAL and it works brilliant.

When I put in an NTSC ps1 game (original copy), I have to set my PVM to NTSC or the image goes crazy. With NTSC option selected, image is perfect, except... it's in black and white. I tried going through the various NTSC options in my PVM, but it's still black and white.

How do I fix that? Is this fault of my PAL PS2? Do I need an NTSC model of PS2 to get color when playing NTSC games? Or do I need to connect my PS2 to the single BNC input? If so, where can I find such a cable?

Please help me with this. Thank you.
geeb

Re: PAL PS2 with NTSC games on Sony PVM-14N1 = black and whi

Post by geeb »

Posted this a week ago but only got approved now, so bumping for visibility.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You're out of luck. You would need to switch to component or RGB cables, but as I see your monitor doesn't support these.

If you use a genuine NTSC PS1 or PS2 it will work as well. The problem is your PAL PS2, which can't output proper NTSC when playing NTSC games.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

If you are in Europe, then there are plenty of consumer crt's available for little or no money that are better (and bigger) than that pvm in pretty much every way. I'd suggest just hunting down a consumer set with rgb and/or component inputs.
geeb

Post by geeb »

So I've heard from someone that my PS2 is outputting PAL60 signal when playing NTSC games. Is there any way to force my PVM to work under PAL60?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

That's not what it is doing. It only goes to PAL60 mode for PAL games that have a 60hz option. When you play an NTSC game, the color subcarrier is at the wrong frequency because of the different clock speeds between a PAL and NTSC console, hence your games are black and white.
skum

Post by skum »

Makinx wrote:That's not what it is doing. It only goes to PAL60 mode for PAL games that have a 60hz option. When you play an NTSC game, the color subcarrier is at the wrong frequency because of the different clock speeds between a PAL and NTSC console, hence your games are black and white.
^ This. Alternatively you could build in a dual frequency oscillator, and switch the clocks to the video DAC.

EDIT: Or wait, hang on, is that possible on a PS2? I was thinking of a PS1.
geeb

Post by geeb »

Thanks for reply, I'll just buy an NTSC ps2 in that case.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Pretty sure it's cheaper to get a better tv.
geeb

Post by geeb »

Makinx wrote:Pretty sure it's cheaper to get a better tv.
It's hard to find CRTs that support both PAL and NTSC in my country. I was lucky enough to find this PVM after a few weeks of searching online.