RGB to VGA

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
brunofree

RGB to VGA

Post by brunofree »

Good night, does anyone know of some schematic RGB to VGA converter? I wanted to connect my super nintendo on a monitor, but my monitor does not support 15khz. Does anyone know of any way to make this connection possible? Someone knows some IC that does this conversion without generating lag input (disregarding the CGA board)
Syntax

Re: RGB to VGA

Post by Syntax »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172

It's really your best option at the moment. Stuff all lag too.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

"Best" is purely subjective.

The GBS is for people that like to tinker. It's a project and a commitment.

If you just want to play your video games on an analog VGA monitor, an XRGB-1 or XRGB-2 will have you playing games in a few minutes. The GBS will have you posting questions on this forum in a few minutes.
We apologise for the inconvenience
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I'll second the XRGB scalers. VGA is RGB, just with separate horizontal sync signals (So RGBHV, versus the RGBS that your console outputs). If your monitor supported 15kHz, all you'd need to do is buy an RGB interface, such as those from Extron (Or possibly a boutique cable for your SNES with a built-in sync separator and an DE-15 connector on the end); but, since it doesn't, you'll need to scale to at least 480p, which the XRGBs will do.

If you want to play any consoles with YPbPr output on your monitor or eventually intend to play your retro consoles on an LCD TV, and you have the budget for it, you can also use an OSSC paired with an HDMI to VGA converter.
brunofree

Post by brunofree »

thanks for the reply guys, it's harder than I thought. I think I'll transcode to ypbpr, it seems the easiest option
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

nmalinoski wrote: you can also use an OSSC paired with an HDMI to VGA converter.
Honestly, good luck finding one of those early XRGB units for much less (if less at all) than an OSSC anyway. Plus the OSSC is a better overall unit so I wouldn't even consider XRGB1/2 unless it was $100 or less. Which is probably never happening, prices anywhere including YAJ are grotesque. I'd recommend just getting the OSSC instead of fooling around.
brunofree wrote:thanks for the reply guys, it's harder than I thought. I think I'll transcode to ypbpr, it seems the easiest option
You need to make sure whatever you get is capable of outputting to at least 480p.