Component Switcher - How many inputs are needed?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Component Switcher - How many inputs are needed?

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I want to buy a component switcher for plugin the consoles which have component output and maybe a progressive DVD player

I've checked a thread about component switchers and it seems the "Audio Authority" ones are recommended, but they "only" have four inputs, which I think won't be enough

I already know about the Extron Crosspoint, but I want to avoid them if I can, because they will need additional custom cables

So, I have some questions:

1) How many inputs do I need to connect the component output consoles?
2) Are there more than 4 input switchers that are good quality?
3) If neccesary, can I daisy chain to AA component switchers and have 8 inputs? (I think 8 will be enough)

Thanks in advance
Dochartaigh

Re: Component Switcher - How many inputs are needed?

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nodoyuna wrote:I already know about the Extron Crosspoint, but I want to avoid them if I can, because they will need additional custom cables
If you're running only Component cables you don't need anything besides a bag of BNC to RCA adapters (like $0.50/each). if you're hooking up audio to it, yes, you do have to make some (likewise cheap) Phoenix to RCA adapters.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Nodoyuna wrote:I already know about the Extron Crosspoint, but I want to avoid them if I can, because they will need additional custom cables
If you're running only Component cables you don't need anything besides a bag of BNC to RCA adapters (like $0.50/each). if you're hooking up audio to it, yes, you do have to make some (likewise cheap) Phoenix to RCA adapters.
Beat me to it, I was typing up this advice already. Phoenix audio is a pain but for video those adapters are super easy.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

So the component video cables will be connected directly to the crosspoint, right?

Audio would be a problem, because I need to use headphones, so I need a headphone plug

I can use BNC to RCA as suggested for audio, but where can I plug them, because I need that headphone output

Also, to be sure, which are the consoles with component output?

Thanks in advance
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Oh boy. Lots of stuff to address.
Nodoyuna wrote:I've checked a thread about component switchers and it seems the "Audio Authority" ones are recommended
I do recommend the Audio Authority 1154A and 1154B, but only because these are the only affordable component switchers that support both automatic switching and TOSLINK (Useful mainly for PS2, Xbox, pre-HDMI Xbox 360, and your proposed DVD player). If you're not dealing with optical digital audio, the gcompsw is top, followed by, I think, ShinyBow's offerings.
Nodoyuna wrote:1) How many inputs do I need to connect the component output consoles?
Nodoyuna wrote:Also, to be sure, which are the consoles with component output?
It really depends on what you want connected and how. The consoles where YPbPr is the best natively-supported option would be PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, Wii, and the pre-HDMI Xbox 360.

Then there are the consoles that support YPbPr, but it is not the best option, like the PS3, HDMI-capable Xbox 360, and Wii U.

And then you have consoles that don't natively support YPbPr, but their native RGB can be converted to YPbPr through HD RetroVision's cables, like the Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Neo Geo, and, eventually, PlayStation and Dreamcast.
Nodoyuna wrote:2) Are there more than 4 input switchers that are good quality?
Depends on what features you're looking for. If you're okay with manual switching and no digital audio, absolutely--get an analogue Extron CrossPoint (Clarifying because I think the current CrossPoints are HDMI-only), where you can have up to 32 inputs and outputs (although, frankly, the 8x8, 12x8, and 16x8 models are going to be way more manageable).

If you want automatic switching or TOSLINK, you're most likely not going to find anything with greater than 4 inputs, leaving you to daisy-chain multiple switchers. Speaking of which:
Nodoyuna wrote:3) If neccesary, can I daisy chain to AA component switchers and have 8 inputs? (I think 8 will be enough)
Not exactly. Yes, you can daisy-chain multiple 4-port component switchers (They don't have to be Audio Authority), but, in your example, you'll only end up with 7 inputs, because the second switcher will occupy one input on the first. Adding a third switcher will take up another input, leaving you with 10 total.
Dochartaigh wrote:If you're running only Component cables you don't need anything besides a bag of BNC to RCA adapters (like $0.50/each). if you're hooking up audio to it, yes, you do have to make some (likewise cheap) Phoenix to RCA adapters.
While these adapters are quite simple to make, you need to make sure you buy them from someone who will guarantee they'll fit the CrossPoints. I bought a bunch of green 5-pole Phoenix connectors (without the tails--bad, bad, bad!) from a seller on Ali Express, and they were ever-so-slightly too wide to fit next to each other in the 10-pole receptacles used on my CrossPoint Ultra 88. (I was lucky in that it came with enough of the blue Extron-branded ones with the tails, so I didn't have to use any of the green ones.)

I absolutely recommend tracking down 5-pole Phoenix connectors with the tails, if you can find them; they help reduce stress on the cables and connection, and they have slots, so you can zip-tie the cables to the connector. I had trouble with the wires coming loose from the non-tail connectors I got from Ali Express.

Nodoyuna wrote:Audio would be a problem, because I need to use headphones, so I need a headphone plug

I can use BNC to RCA as suggested for audio, but where can I plug them, because I need that headphone output
First, no, you can't use RCA-to-BNC adapters for audio. In order to use audio on the CrossPoints, you need to either buy or make your own RCA-to-Phoenix adapters. The RCA-to-BNC adapters would only be used for the video signals.

Secondly, audio output from any of these switcher setups would result in line-level analogue audio (and/or TOSLINK, if you decide to use that for the applicable consoles). Assuming you don't have one already, I would recommend you get some kind of headphone amp, or at least a cheap audio mixer, that can accept stereo RCA (and/or TOSLINK), so you can control the volume.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

@nmalinoski
I do recommend the Audio Authority 1154A and 1154B, but only because these are the only affordable component switchers that support both automatic switching and TOSLINK (Useful mainly for PS2, Xbox, pre-HDMI Xbox 360, and your proposed DVD player). If you're not dealing with optical digital audio, the gcompsw is top, followed by, I think, ShinyBow's offerings.
The gcompsw is sold out right now, and the ShinyBow ones seems to be more expensive than the Audio Authority one. I think I'm going to get that one because, right now I won't use optical audio, but it will be useful to have if I want to use it in the future
The consoles where YPbPr is the best natively-supported option would be PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, Wii, and the pre-HDMI Xbox 360.
What I want for the component switcher are the systems that natively support it and it's the best option, so I'll connect PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, Wii, and the pre-HDMI Xbox 360.

I'll add to that the DVD player with component output, and maybe I'll use the Wii GameCube emulator, as they're hardware compatible

So, it will need 6 output: PS2, Xbox, GameCube/Wii, PSP, pre-HDMI Xbox 360 and DVD player

I didn't know that PSP could be connected to a TV or monitor, so I'll need more info about it later :)
I would recommend you get some kind of headphone amp, or at least a cheap audio mixer, that can accept stereo RCA (and/or TOSLINK), so you can control the volume.
Does this mixer will do the work properly?
https://www.amazon.es/MX51s-MiniMix-II- ... B0002BG2S6

Thanks
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:What I want for the component switcher are the systems that natively support it and it's the best option, so I'll connect PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, Wii, and the pre-HDMI Xbox 360.
I wouldn't bother with the pre-HDMI Xbox 360 unless you're already stuck with one; HDMI from the 360 will give you a better picture than with component.
Nodoyuna wrote:Does this mixer will do the work properly?
https://www.amazon.es/MX51s-MiniMix-II- ... B0002BG2S6
Looks like it has the right ports/functionality, but it's really up to you whether it's appropriate for your use/budget.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

In my experience, good component switches are significanly more difficult to find in Europe (as opposed to the US). If you need between 5 and 8 inputs, your best option is probably an Extron MVX VGA with a bunch of component to vga and rca to 3.5mm jack adapters. Try to get one that comes with at least one phoenix/captive screw connector for the audio out (if you only need one audio out). Otherwise, if you can live with 4 inputs, there's a CYP CCMX for sale on ebay.co.uk right now.

Also why would you get a mixer if you aren't going to mix channels? Get a cheap headphone amplifier like a Fiio A1 instead.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Xer Xian wrote:In my experience, good component switches are significanly more difficult to find in Europe (as opposed to the US). If you need between 5 and 8 inputs, your best option is probably an Extron MVX VGA with a bunch of component to vga and rca to 3.5mm jack adapters. Try to get one that comes with at least one phoenix/captive screw connector for the audio out (if you only need one audio out). Otherwise, if you can live with 4 inputs, there's a CYP CCMX for sale on ebay.co.uk right now.

Also why would you get a mixer if you aren't going to mix channels? Get a cheap headphone amplifier like a Fiio A1 instead.
I thought I would need a transcoder to convert component to vga
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:I thought I would need a transcoder to convert component to vga
You do, but a good number of Extron switchers will switch anything except RF. Both the CrossPoints and MVXs (in general; I believe there are some exceptions) will switch all of CVBS (composite), YC (S-Video), YPbPr, RGsB, RsGsBs, RGBS, and RGBHV, as long as you have them wired in properly.

You do, however, need to be mindful of the sync signal that these switches output; it's almost always (if not always) TTL-level, which can damage your consumer-grade equipment without the proper modification (Just a resistor on the sync line, but I forget how many Ohms it needs to be).
Elderblaze

Post by Elderblaze »

The Audio Authority options looked good, but buggy Auto-Switching, De-Syncing, and weird power supply (6V 5 AMP) concerns threw me off that product. None of those may be significant issues though and it was in my top 5 switcher's to look out for. There are other high end switches from the 2000's time frame that are good also. Cheap old high end switches are definitely better then anything currently made, and much cheaper. For that reason I'd skip the shineybow.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Elderblaze wrote:The Audio Authority options looked good, but buggy Auto-Switching, De-Syncing, and weird power supply (6V 5 AMP) concerns threw me off that product.
Which Audio Authority switchers were you specifically looking at? My 1154A takes 12V 0.5A and has had zero problems with auto-switching or maintaining signals.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I have a simple 4 port VGA/Component switcher by CYP that also switches 4x 3.5mm audio inputs and works great. It is a VGA purposed unit but it mentions YPBPR above each VGA style port so all I had to do is get some DB15 to RCA adapters for the video and 3.5mm to RCA breakouts for audio. They normally run very pricey as it's high grade consumer products but if you look around they appear on the cheap often enough. Got mine for £10 second hand, retails for ~£150 when new. Wish mine gets more usage, all I really use it for is Wii and WiiU to the JVC monitor. Ps3 and X360 are pointless as Pal units don't do 480p over component. I could go HDMI to component route but my 360 is pre HDMI and I guess I'd rather keep the rat's nest smaller.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

It seems the easier solution is to use an extron crosspoint, but I don't really like the audio connectors it does have. It seems all extron devices have this kind of connectors for audio

Let me explain what I want to do:

I'm working on a 4:3 setup (I'll work in the future on a 16:9 solution too), but for now, I'll stick to 4:3

My plan is to have 2 monitors, a PVM for 240p / 480i and a NEC multisync for 480p and some computer resolutions. As the NEC monitors are difficult to find, meanwhile I'll use a computer VGA monitor

The PVM has SCART, S-Video and composite inputs, and the NEC has component and VGA inputs. Of course the computer monitor only has VGA input. Audio input / output can be a problem, as any of the monitors have RCA connections for audio

So, I will need various kind of switchers: SCART, component, VGA and S-Video. I want to get a Super Emotia too for downsampling some sources to 240p. It should be great if each switcher does have audio output

It seems the best option for SCART is the gscartsw, but I don't know if it does have audio output. Also, for component, the gcompsw seems to be the best option (this one has audio output). Both are sold out right now, but I can wait until they will be available again, if it's not too long :)

So, this is my plan:

1) 240p / 480i RGB devices will be connected to the SCART switch and into the SCART input of the PVM. With this, I'll have covered every device until the PSX generation.

2) There are not many S-Video devices in Europe, but I should have some switcher with a few inputs, and it will be connected to the S-Video input of the PVM

3) For component, it seems I should need around 8 inputs. This should be connected to the component input of the NEC, once I have it, but for now, I'll transcode it to VGA with something like the GARO box (unavailable right now)

4) The GARO transcoder VGA output will be one of the inputs of the VGA switcher, with other inputs being my PC emulation computer and the Dreamcast (via the TORO Box)

5) The VGA switcher output will be the input of the Super Emotia. The VGA output will be the VGA monitor and the RGB output will be the PVM (with a BNC to SCART cable) With the Super Emotia I will be able to convert 480i to 480p if needed, and also downscale to 240p

I thinks this setup will work well in the video front, but I still need some kind of audio switcher or even an audio mixer to connect the audio output of every switcher and output to a headphone set

So, please make suggestions on improving this idea or anything

Thanks in advance
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

werk91 wrote:X360 are pointless as Pal units don't do 480p over component.
All of my PAL(Australian) 360s do 480p over component. Have you tested yours?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

8-inputs RCA component switches are non-existent in Europe. You'd have to import one from the US. The least expensive right now is the Video Storm CMX86. Otherwise, again, get an Extron. Either the Crosspoint or the MVX VGA. The MVX 84 and 88 models have a 3.5mm jack for audio input. The non-standard audio connection is only used for the outputs, and you only need one of those in general.

There's a 6-input 6RCA switch that's inexpensive, you can buy it from otaku-games.com. It also switches SCART. It seems to be ok.

Oh and regarding the s-video and audio switches. You can get an Extron MPS 112 that will accomodate both.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DoomsDave wrote:
werk91 wrote:X360 are pointless as Pal units don't do 480p over component.
All of my PAL(Australian) 360s do 480p over component. Have you tested yours?
I believe it's the original Xbox that has this problem, not the Xbox 360.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What's wrong with using the Pelican System Selector Pro?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

SavagePencil wrote:What's wrong with using the Pelican System Selector Pro?
Nothing wrong, but apparently it doesn't hold up to a technical scrutiny: https://video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

I'd bet the same goes for similarly priced switches (eg those from Joytech, Monoprice, Impact acoustics etc). But again, the OP was happy with a random $10 DAC so there's a good chance he would with a Pelican or Otaku-games switch.

My stance is, if today you can get what used to be pro-equipment for nearly the same price as consumer-grade stuff, why not?
Elderblaze

Post by Elderblaze »

nmalinoski wrote:
Elderblaze wrote:The Audio Authority options looked good, but buggy Auto-Switching, De-Syncing, and weird power supply (6V 5 AMP) concerns threw me off that product.
Which Audio Authority switchers were you specifically looking at? My 1154A takes 12V 0.5A and has had zero problems with auto-switching or maintaining signals.
My mistake, I'd confused it with another unit (Key Digital) which uses a 6V 5 AMP power supply, they are high quality switches but frequently sold sans-power supply. After losing an auction for a Zektor HDS4 by 6 f00king cents, i might be in the market for an 1154a afterall.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Is this one a valid option as component to VGA transcoder?

https://www.amazon.com/Extron-IN1508-Sc ... B00NCPPOV0

It does have various inputs, besides component, so it should be able to convert many devices to VGA output, and it does also have RCA inputs and outputs for audio
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

No idea if there are any for sale anywhere right now but Audio Authority 9A65 is a straight transcoder and the 1366 is a scaler. The 1366 only has VGA inputs and outputs but the input supports ypbpr over that connection and originally came with a vga ypbpr breakout cable.

That Extron should be valid, but I've never been happy with their scaling.

If you do want to scale, there are a lot better options in general with VGA out. Old Micomsoft and DVDO products in particular.
Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Nodoyuna wrote:Is this one a valid option as component to VGA transcoder?

It does have various inputs, besides component, so it should be able to convert many devices to VGA output, and it does also have RCA inputs and outputs for audio
You don't want that one. Those machines are paper weights and/or doorstops now.

It can't do frame lock and you're stuck with frame rate conversion. It's a picture in picture Extron, so it's going to be slow. The specs suggest 4:2:2 sampling, so it will mangle your source. It will probably treat 240p as 480i.

Extron built the CVC series to convert component to RGB. Some people like those.
We apologise for the inconvenience
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Elderblaze wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
My mistake, I'd confused it with another unit (Key Digital) which uses a 6V 5 AMP power supply, they are high quality switches but frequently sold sans-power supply. After losing an auction for a Zektor HDS4 by 6 f00king cents, i might be in the market for an 1154a afterall.
the manual for the key digital matrix switcher I just bought claims it only draws 1A even though it specifies the 6VDC 5A supply :?:
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I searched for a CVC in the Extron site and they say it's discontinued and offered the one I linked as an alternative, but it seems I should search better for a CVC one....

Is there any recommended model?

Thanks in advance
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nodoyuna wrote:Is this one a valid option as component to VGA transcoder?

The IN1508 is nice for what it is, but don't buy it for gaming. It definitely treats 240p as 480i, and the scaler cannot be disabled.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I use Joytech Js965c. it has 6 component inputs, 1 output. it also has a nice remote control and an LCD screen that tells you what input your on and that allows you to label your inputs. costs about $29 on ebay.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

There should be a specialist product on the market for ths requirement.

What this guy wants is not hard to do. If 10% of the effort that went into scart switches went into a component switcher this thread would not exist.

edit- after looking it up what I would want costs £12. Headphone jack could be split from the ouput cable. That other stuff you guys are on about is very expensive.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Is anyone familiar with something lower end like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZZS ... TGQT&psc=1
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

you wont be disappointed with the joytech JS965C I suggested. It doesnt do scaling but its a great switch with a nice remote control and 6 component Inputs, and it has good signal quality. its also big and heavy and wont get pulled off your tv stand by the weight of the cables. It originally came with some brackets for mounting in a 19" A/V rack although i never used them.

it was around a $250 switch originally but they can be had on ebay for about $35.00 now Used. thats how i got mine.