Component Switch Problem Fix and/or alternatives

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Logan Jones

Component Switch Problem Fix and/or alternatives

Post by Logan Jones »

I have a 4-port Monoprice comp switch that I bought off of Amazon. It works fine, but it has an issue I can't seem to resolve. When hooked up to my CRT TV the switch appears to exhibit a brownish-purplish haze across the screen on all inputs, even when no game consoles are plugged in. I thought that it was the OUTPUT cable at first, so I changed it out for a different (higher quality) cable, only to have the same problem! I hate that haze, as it's always there even when playing games.

If anyone can help, please tell me what causes this haze so I can fix the problem. If it's just a quality issue, then I would like some recommendations for some good-quality Component switches that are affordable.

Thanks!
nmalinoski

Re: Component Switch Problem Fix and/or alternatives

Post by nmalinoski »

So there are two things I would try:

First, I'd try the component devices directly to your TV to see if any of them exhibit the purple/brown haze. If it happens here, it's probably a problem with your TV, or perhaps the component input specifically.

Second, I'd try your setup with a different component-capable display, or an OSSC, if you have access to either. If it happens on other devices, it's probably the switch, in which case I would send it back for a replacement.
Elderblaze

Post by Elderblaze »

from what i've read that is not a great switch. No reason to use "Modern" garbage switches when 300-800$ switches from the 2000's era are readily available on ebay for under 50 bucks.

Look into

Key Digital
Zektor
Audio Authority
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

nmalinoski wrote:So there are two things I would try:

First, I'd try the component devices directly to your TV to see if any of them exhibit the purple/brown haze. If it happens here, it's probably a problem with your TV, or perhaps the component input specifically.

Second, I'd try your setup with a different component-capable display, or an OSSC, if you have access to either. If it happens on other devices, it's probably the switch, in which case I would send it back for a replacement.
No game system of mine exhibits the haze from their component video output. At this point, i believe the switch is causing the haze. I can't send the switch back because I didn't get a warranty.

What would be a good Comp switch that had at least 4 inputs and was affordable?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

An old bnc rgbhv Extron matrix would do the trick.

Should find one around $60usd or less.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Logan Jones wrote:At this point, i believe the switch is causing the haze. I can't send the switch back because I didn't get a warranty.
Uh, what? :) Of course you can return it; if you bought it from the US Amazon, the switch has an implied warranty of merchantability, meaning it performs as advertised (so, no purple/brown haze), and, if it doesn't, you're entitled to a refund or an exchange. Go to your order history in your Amazon account, find the order, and click "Return or replace items" to start the return process.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

nmalinoski wrote:
Logan Jones wrote:At this point, i believe the switch is causing the haze. I can't send the switch back because I didn't get a warranty.
Uh, what? :) Of course you can return it; if you bought it from the US Amazon, the switch has an implied warranty of merchantability, meaning it performs as advertised (so, no purple/brown haze), and, if it doesn't, you're entitled to a refund or an exchange. Go to your order history in your Amazon account, find the order, and click "Return or replace items" to start the return process.
I can't return the switch. It says "Return window closed on Jan 31, 2018". Dang it.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Syntax wrote:An old bnc rgbhv Extron matrix would do the trick.

I've heard of those! If you have experience with the Extron Matrix switchers, could I ask you some questions about them to make sure I get the right model?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Logan Jones wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
I can't return the switch. It says "Return window closed on Jan 31, 2018". Dang it.
Lame! You should email ShinyBow directly to see if they'll be willing to do something.
Logan Jones wrote:

I've heard of those! If you have experience with the Extron Matrix switchers, could I ask you some questions about them to make sure I get the right model?
You should just ask the questions; you'll get a faster response that way. :)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I have an Extron Crosspoint I am not using. 8x8, non-ADSP w/ phoenix audio connectors.

I couldn't find an exact match on eBay, there are too many variants of these things lol. I'd sell it for a reasonable price, and the deal is better if you are closer to me, since this is a heavy little bugger.

Also just general advice: in the future I would avoid anything from Monoprice except maybe cables, hard for them to eff up basic cables. I've had nothing but negative experiences with them otherwise.

If you want something really cheap, I believe I have an extra powered component switch from some random ass brand, I want to say it's a BB house brand but I'd have to dig it up to be sure. I can't really speak to how good it is though.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I have an Extron Crosspoint I am not using. 8x8, non-ADSP w/ phoenix audio connectors.

I couldn't find an exact match on eBay, there are too many variants of these things lol. I'd sell it for a reasonable price, and the deal is better if you are closer to me, since this is a heavy little bugger.

Also just general advice: in the future I would avoid anything from Monoprice except maybe cables, hard for them to eff up basic cables. I've had nothing but negative experiences with them otherwise.

If you want something really cheap, I believe I have an extra powered component switch from some random ass brand, I want to say it's a BB house brand but I'd have to dig it up to be sure. I can't really speak to how good it is though.
I live in the US in Georgia. If I wanted the switch, how would you sell the switch to me, and for what price?
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Lame! You should email ShinyBow directly to see if they'll be willing to do something.
I bought the switch off of Amazon, and it was made by Monoprice, not Shinybow.
Steamflogger Boss

Sending you a pm Logan.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Sending you a pm Logan.
I went to my inbox and nothing is there.
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah that took longer than I thought, sometimes I get wordy. :lol:
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Logan Jones wrote:
I bought the switch off of Amazon, and it was made by Monoprice, not Shinybow.
Oops. Brainfart on my part. You should instead email Monoprice to see if they'll be willing to do something. :)
Elderblaze

Post by Elderblaze »

check my post up top, im a new member so you probably missed it, was in the verification stage. A recap though :

don't buy cheap modern switch, buy older, high end switch at high discount on ebay.

Key Digital
Audio Authority 1154A or 1154B
Zektor HDS4

any of the above switches will work great, and they were all top-dog units in the 2000's, costing 200-400$ now readily available for under 50 bucks. the above units give nothing up to even gcompx in quality, though gcompx has a bit better features. I'ts not readily available and cost 3x more.
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah I use those AA switches they are nice, and they auto switch as well.

I think the stereo audio on one of mine might be on the fritz. I'm not fully sure, but for now I have been plugging in directly into the receiver in that set-up.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I will second the Audio Authority component switches as well. I have an 1154A I got off of eBay, and it's been working perfectly since I bought it. What I really like about this particular switch, though, is that it also switches TOSLINK, which I don't really see anywhere else. (I think ShinyBow has one switch that does, but it's expensive and unavailable.)
Steamflogger Boss

For awhile, I was using one of mine exclusively as a toslink switch. I tried to replace it with monoprice crap for toslink but that wouldn't even work.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Logan Jones wrote:

What did you want to know?

The Extron VGA Matrix with ADSP will only work with csync or HV sync, it screws up composite video over the sync channel.
ADSP doesn't effect RGB lines and the Extron does not require sync on H to send a signal so you can use them for component.
It only sends signal down RGBHV and ground, the other VGA pins are not used at all.

Im very impressed with my Matrix, The VGA models are half the size of the crosspoints and still have heaps of inputs/outputs.
If you can build your own cables these swiitches are tops, ill probably grab another while I can.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Syntax wrote:
Logan Jones wrote:

What did you want to know?

The Extron VGA Matrix with ADSP will only work with csync or HV sync, it screws up composite video over the sync channel.
ADSP doesn't effect RGB lines and the Extron does not require sync on H to send a signal so you can use them for component.
It only sends signal down RGBHV and ground, the other VGA pins are not used at all.

Im very impressed with my Matrix, The VGA models are half the size of the crosspoints and still have heaps of inputs/outputs.
If you can build your own cables these swiitches are tops, ill probably grab another while I can.
What I wanted to ask was, how does one toggle ADSP? Can it be turned off?