HDMI to VGA converter ... Does it exist something like that?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

HDMI to VGA converter ... Does it exist something like that?

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I have a multimedia player I'd like to connect to my VGA computer monitor, mostly to watch movies and anime

The player only has composite and HDMI output

Of course, I don't want to use composite output as it's of worse image quality than HDMI

My question is if there are some cable or device that can convert from HDMI to VGA

Thanks in advance
citrus3000psi

Re: HDMI to VGA converter ... Does it exist something like t

Post by citrus3000psi »

There are many options, not sure which is the best. I use this one with my OSSC and have had great luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMV7RL2/
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Thanks, I'll try that one :)
It's even cheap, so it's great
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Nodoyuna wrote:Thanks, I'll try that one :)
It's even cheap, so it's great
You'd be better off hooking up a computer to your monitor than a DVD player, because the computer can output 72 or 96hz, which are multiples of 24, and most movies are shot at 24fps.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

You'd be better off hooking up a computer to your monitor than a DVD player, because the computer can output 72 or 96hz, which are multiples of 24, and most movies are shot at 24fps.
What I want to try is to connect a multimedia player (not DVD player), to the VGA monitor, as I want to make my setup the most "computer-free" as possible

As the adapter is cheap, I'll try it and see how it goes
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Multimedia player is a funny term. Most things aren't strictly dvd anyway. What player are you using?

As for whether or not these cheap things will be good enough, they are pretty hit or miss from what I've seen. It will also depend on your personal standards. There was a big thread here reviewing some of them: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59860&hilit=hdmi+vga
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Multimedia player is a funny term. Most things aren't strictly dvd anyway. What player are you using?

As for whether or not these cheap things will be good enough, they are pretty hit or miss from what I've seen. It will also depend on your personal standards. There was a big thread here reviewing some of them: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59860&hilit=hdmi+vga
Hi
The one I want to use is: ASUS O!Play Mini, and I want to connect it to my VGA monitor, mainly for SD content (below 720p)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Ah cool, you just playing video files then? I hope you find an adapter that suits your needs. Definitely check the thread I linked to, if you haven't bought something already.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Ah cool, you just playing video files then? I hope you find an adapter that suits your needs. Definitely check the thread I linked to, if you haven't bought something already.
Yes, I'm not going to use it for videogames, only for movies and stuff like that
I thought with "multimedia player" was enough, but it seems I should have been more specific, given this is mainly videogame forum :)
I'll check later the thread, thanks for the link
syboxez

Post by syboxez »

You need to watch out for crushed blacks with these converters.

This link is a good reference: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... s_for_OSSC

The Tendak adapter seems like a good, cheap option.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

syboxez wrote:You need to watch out for crushed blacks with these converters.

This link is a good reference: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... s_for_OSSC

Be careful of the jitter the Tendak introduces. I saw the issue reported again over at the VGP forums, so it's not just me.
We apologise for the inconvenience
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

orange808 wrote:
syboxez wrote:You need to watch out for crushed blacks with these converters.

Be careful of the jitter the Tendak introduces. I saw the issue reported again over at the VGP forums, so it's not just me.
Do you know if that applies to all the tendak models? It looks like they make 3.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Nodoyuna wrote:What I want to try is to connect a multimedia player (not DVD player), to the VGA monitor, as I want to make my setup the most "computer-free" as possible

As the adapter is cheap, I'll try it and see how it goes
Do any multimedia players support 72hz? My guess you'd only get 60hz with 3:2 pulldown.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

BazookaBen wrote:Do any multimedia players support 72hz? My guess you'd only get 60hz with 3:2 pulldown.
Is that a problem for 480p video playback? I don't plan to use HD resolutions (i have my HDTV for that)
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

I bought 3 hdmi to vga converters

First was like the "unbranded female hdmi to female vga", only in white, and unbranded obv.
Works perfect, full range, but not powered so console like PS4 don't work, I have to go through the av receiver to have enough power on hdmi.

second was the similar "male hdmi to female vga", unbranded.
Has crushed blacks, below 16, whites are fine.

third was a model similar to "unbranded dvi to vga", just with an hdmi male plug. Has audio out and micro usb for power.
Has crushed blacks, below 16, whites are fine.

I opened all 3 and they all use the same chip, the AG6200 from Algoltek.
I couldn't find a datasheet, but could it be configurable via some resistors / cap on some pins, or is it programable (and programmed for good) and thus getting the right adapter is just lottery ?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Nodoyuna wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:Do any multimedia players support 72hz? My guess you'd only get 60hz with 3:2 pulldown.
Is that a problem for 480p video playback? I don't plan to use HD resolutions (i have my HDTV for that)
If you're watching movies, you'll get judder, since 24 doesn't divide evenly into 60. I think most TV is too. Unsure about anime

So yeah 72hz is good to have for most viewing.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Yesterday I received the HDMI to VGA converter I ordered from Amazon (this one: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B075L812M3/ref ... 81_TE_dp_1)

I've made a quick check with a 640x480 video and it does play perfect, and I haven't seen any problem with the blacks... I also played, without much conviction, a 720p and it played perfect in 4:3 mode (I'll need to check if there is some parts not shown)

This weekend I'll try with some movies and see how it goes

I've noticed the Asus O!Play I'm using does have an option for activating 24fps mode for movies

Also, regarding 480i video... If I play a interlaced source to the VGA monitor, which is progressive, does the monitor or the player deinterlace the image and show it in 480p, or it will be played interlaced at 480i?

Thanks
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I've noticed the Asus O!Play I'm using does have an option for activating 24fps mode for movies
but you can't use 24Hz output on a CRT. You would need tripled or quadrupled output (72Hz/96Hz) for that.
Also, regarding 480i video... If I play a interlaced source to the VGA monitor, which is progressive, does the monitor or the player deinterlace the image and show it in 480p, or it will be played interlaced at 480i?
Your average VGA monitor won't sync to 15khz and your media player likely won't output it anyway. The player will deinterlace this for you.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Nodoyuna wrote: also played, without much conviction, a 720p and it played perfect in 4:3 mode (I'll need to check if there is some parts not shown)
You need to go into the monitor's geometry controls and squeeze that down to 16:9 letterboxed. Most monitors will remember geometry settings for separate resolutions. So after you set it up, 480p will remain 4:3 fullscreen, 720p will remain 16:9 letterboxed.