shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 291
I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

Not saying it's impossible, just can't really believe it's common


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 523
Location: Bellingham, WA
maxtherabbit wrote:
I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

Not saying it's impossible, just can't really believe it's common


I noticed it on my Saturn and dreamcast games mostly.

My dreamcast would not read my favorite titles leaving me with worthless cds in my wallet that even the skipdoctor couldn’t fix.

I think the skipdoctor was a part of the problem too.

For some reason the games I buy off eBay work great then and now.

I use TY CDR’s now and they still don’t work right all the time. Im convinced it’s because I need a multiple CDR drives on old desktops that are max 1x , max 2x, and max 4x.

That would probably solve my cdr backup issues.
_________________
Copyright 1987


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2163
Location: Kentucky
Hoagtech wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

Not saying it's impossible, just can't really believe it's common


I noticed it on my Saturn and dreamcast games mostly.

My dreamcast would not read my favorite titles leaving me with worthless cds in my wallet that even the skipdoctor couldn’t fix.

I think the skipdoctor was a part of the problem too.

For some reason the games I buy off eBay work great then and now.

I use TY CDR’s now and they still don’t work right all the time. Im convinced it’s because I need a multiple CDR drives on old desktops that are max 1x , max 2x, and max 4x.

That would probably solve my cdr backup issues.


There's always the chance of the problem being your system's laser and not the discs. Check the disc up against sunlight or a light bulb and see if there are any holes where the light shines through- that's a bad disc.

As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 291
bobrocks95 wrote:

As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.

it really varies on the recorder - I get best results with TYs burning at 10x


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6243
Location: Craig's
Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2163
Location: Kentucky
maxtherabbit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.

it really varies on the recorder - I get best results with TYs burning at 10x


If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:38 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 748
Xyga wrote:
Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...

I don't believe so. Last I looked into M-Disc, they were only available in DVD (which you need a specific M-Disc burner for) and Blu-ray (which can be written with any BD-R/RW).


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 291
bobrocks95 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.

it really varies on the recorder - I get best results with TYs burning at 10x


If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?

if you have a calibrated optical block and a scope you could test the discs for jitter

I don't have any of that so I just burned a bunch and tried them on different drives and found the ones that worked best :oops:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2014
Posts: 433
bobrocks95 wrote:
If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?

Some drives can report the correction rates for the two error correction layers (C1/C2 for CD, PIF/POF for DVD) when reading a disc and there are programs that can scan a disc and create a nice graph of correction per capacity. Technically it's only valid for the drive the test was made with, but general trends of low/high correction requirements probably apply to other drives reading the same disc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1684
Xyga wrote:
Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...


The few CD-Rs I can recommend are the same CD-Rs that were used by Sony themselves manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (Made in Japan by Tayo Yuden themselves and not made by a third party), or as a second choice the Mitsubishi Super/Hyper AZO CD-Rs that are Made in Singapore (Mitsubishi main factory is/was located in Singapore, if it says "Made in India" or something else it means it's not made by Mitsubishi themselves, but by a third party).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Posts: 3717
I finally got an email the other day saying my mainboard is being worked on. Shouldn't be much longer now. Ordered mine back in November of 2017.

It is a shame about them not offering installation for PSOne models. It's the nicest looking PSX & fits well in my jam packed cabinet. Gonna have to do some shifting around when it arrives... Sigh.
_________________
Now that's galactic dancin'


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1684
8BA wrote:
It is a shame about them not offering installation for PSOne models.


That's because PSOne does not have the parralel port, the last one to have a parralel port was the SCPH-7500.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 2119
Location: DFW area, Texas
The latest is they've finally green-lit the actual production run and expect to start shipping the June/July orders from last year by late next month. So it will have been literally over a year since my pre-order, but better late than never! :mrgreen:
_________________
Web Site: http://www.firebrandx.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FBXGargoyle?lang=en


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Posts: 3717
I got my mainboard back today & put everything back together. Everything's working fine except my laser is balls after 9 months in storage.

Can't believe I have to wait another two months for the PSIO itself but it'll be worth it in the end. Sigh...
_________________
Now that's galactic dancin'


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 2119
Location: DFW area, Texas
Yeah, I saw the ship date has been delayed again until the end of August!
_________________
Web Site: http://www.firebrandx.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FBXGargoyle?lang=en


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:07 pm 



Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 678
Older thread, but hopefully the people interested in the PSIO will see this...

So who else here (I'm USA based), received a tracking for their PSIO around October 7th, and the tracking hasn't moved from "EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER" for, well, 18 days now? I emailed them asking why and they said it takes a "couple days" to update...guess they didn't actually read my email (nor did they respond to my reply email yet).

I mean, if you're going to make people wait a year for something, please almighty buddah, don't tease them about it actually shipping...then not have it ship lol. (and I haven't said a peep now about the year wait...but this is annoying as F!).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 11371
Location: Germany
I got mine in the shipment before yours, but yes, there were a few weeks between the shipping announcement and the actual drop off into the mail system. FBX might be able to comment how long it actually took for US residents to arrive.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 22
Dochartaigh wrote:
Older thread, but hopefully the people interested in the PSIO will see this...

So who else here (I'm USA based), received a tracking for their PSIO around October 7th, and the tracking hasn't moved from "EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER" for, well, 18 days now? I emailed them asking why and they said it takes a "couple days" to update...guess they didn't actually read my email (nor did they respond to my reply email yet).

I mean, if you're going to make people wait a year for something, please almighty buddah, don't tease them about it actually shipping...then not have it ship lol. (and I haven't said a peep now about the year wait...but this is annoying as F!).


Same here, I have no idea if it's shipped, waiting to be shipped, or lost. The news section says group 3 orders are "Shipped & Completed". I posted on their forums, and Matt said they should update this week.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm 



Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 315
Location: Woodinville, WA
Mine was in the September batch. The exact same thing happened to me. After about 20 days, it updated and I eventually received it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Posts: 3717
Same here, but it didn't suprise me somehow. Mine's still in Australia as of right now but is being carted around so it should be in the air soon. I'm in the middle of a move so I'll have to return to my old home when it arrives. Sigh...
_________________
Now that's galactic dancin'


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5432
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
Is the software still being worked on? That's what I always hear the problem is.
Like, how many games don't? Glitches on games that do work? What's the scoop?
I don't care if it's hard to install, because I wouldn't be doing it. :lol:

Does it have a menu? Any format problems? Like, does it only support some rare-ass image files?
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 997
Location: Australia
evil_ash_xero wrote:
Is the software still being worked on? That's what I always hear the problem is.
Like, how many games don't? Glitches on games that do work? What's the scoop?
I don't care if it's hard to install, because I wouldn't be doing it. :lol:

Does it have a menu? Any format problems? Like, does it only support some rare-ass image files?


All questions that are more likely to be answered here http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum/ ... m.php?f=26


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm 



Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 678
Glad to know it's not just me about the shipping...I'll sit here and wait, non-patiently lol.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 2119
Location: DFW area, Texas
Fudoh wrote:
I got mine in the shipment before yours, but yes, there were a few weeks between the shipping announcement and the actual drop off into the mail system. FBX might be able to comment how long it actually took for US residents to arrive.


Mine took nearly a month to arrive after the initial shipping notification. It seemed to have sat in Sydney for half of the shipping time.
_________________
Web Site: http://www.firebrandx.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FBXGargoyle?lang=en


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 58
After hearing about the XA audio problems it has (on which I never found any info back when I looked into the PSIO and pre-ordered it last year), I am not really eager at all to receive it anyway, may end up just re-selling it. That's just really disappointing. Best case scenario they do somehow fix the problem through a simple firmware update by the time I finish playing through my CD collection.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:06 am 



Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 74
fernan1234 wrote:
After hearing about the XA audio problems it has (on which I never found any info back when I looked into the PSIO and pre-ordered it last year), I am not really eager at all to receive it anyway, may end up just re-selling it. That's just really disappointing. Best case scenario they do somehow fix the problem through a simple firmware update by the time I finish playing through my CD collection.


What exactly are the XA audio problems? I've looked around and details seem hard to find. From what I can gather the games that use CD audio tracks all have issues of some sort? Audio quality degradation and things like fade support (Bust a Groove pause menu)?

There seems to be plans to fix it but it doesn't seem to be a priority. The comments seem to say they will fix it when they have sold more units. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Terraonion.

http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum/ ... dio#p13096

Quote:
Yes, the XA degradation will be fixed in the future, but we've been focusing on other key tasks at the moment (production mostly to get PSIO into the hands of our extremely patient and loyal pre-order customers and firmware updates for games which customers have been reporting to us). As I mentioned though, we need to see support for PSIO in order to keep us going on the more advanced tasks like new XA logic, because coding up a fast yet high quality XA decoder isn't easy. XA works perfect at the moment and it honestly isn't that bad (you actually need to stream the audio to a PC and compare it to actually hear the differences, and if you want to hear it yourself, check out the JIRA database for "Castlevania").


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:45 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 58
I saw that recently too, but "it honestly isn't that bad" is unacceptable when it comes to a core feature of the PSX's CD audio when it comes to an optical drive emulator. Otherwise it's not a true replacement for CDs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 748
fernan1234 wrote:
I saw that recently too, but "it honestly isn't that bad" is unacceptable when it comes to a core feature of the PSX's CD audio when it comes to an optical drive emulator. Otherwise it's not a true replacement for CDs.

The PSIO isn't a replacement for the optical drive; it fits alongside (figuratively speaking) the optical drive and provides the ability to alternatively boot software from an SD card or from a PC via USB. It doesn't replace the optical drive in the same way a GDEMU does; and, if it did, it probably wouldn't be having any of the problems that it does now. :)


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:28 pm 



Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 315
Location: Woodinville, WA
nmalinoski wrote:
The PSIO isn't a replacement for the optical drive; it fits alongside (figuratively speaking) the optical drive and provides the ability to alternatively boot software from an SD card or from a PC via USB. It doesn't replace the optical drive in the same way a GDEMU does; and, if it did, it probably wouldn't be having any of the problems that it does now. :)


Given the abundance of PS1s (in the USA at least), I think their decision to retain CD capability vs. a full ODE will prove to be the wrong one. For me, my interest in the PS-IO is the same as my interest in EverDrives - the ability to have your entire collection on the device, with no need to mess with media ever again. Having incompatibility with the caveat that you can still use your discs isn't really a solution, and I believe that is where fernan1234's sentiment is coming from.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 997
Location: Australia
Of all the systems I own the PS1 is the biggest PITA to get a working laser for.

Everything available is a cheap Chinese knock off that you need to rebuild with the old parts to make any good, then they go out of tune super fast.

Using a second hand laser is just as bad unless its from a PSONE, those laser are tough as but you need ribbon extensions to fit them to the other PS1.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group