What's the status of that PSX IO thing?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
codeX

Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?

Post by codeX »

After hearing about PSIO around a year ago, I had kind of forgotten about it due to unavailability for a while. Then Stone Age Gamer tweeted out about having them in stock about a week ago and I immediately placed an order. As for the install, it wasn't really any more difficult than a mm3 mod chip. Documentation was really good.

Bought a pristine SPCH-1001 audiophile PS1 about a year ago with controller and a few games, including Namco light gun, for $45 shipped, with the goal of PSIO modding from then. Only problem has been availability. These parallel port PS1's are all over eBay for $25, and you can get then with broken CD drives for barely more than the cost of shipping. Popped open my PS1 and found I had the PU-8 board. Followed the directions and the switch mod was pretty easy. The hardest part was just the time it took to get the fiberglass pen to scrape down enough enamel in the ground point so my solder would properly bond. Little kapton tape to mask off the nearby vias and had no trouble here. Really just a very simple install - always double (triple) check each step of which trace you're cutting or where you're soldering, use plenty of flux and stick with quality solder. Multimeter check continuity on the trace cuts and nearby traces, and also while soldering each wire. I used a fine tip on a Weller digital at 525*F with Kester solder and had no problem with the small solder spots.

My only complaint from the design is the PCB pads require having wires crossing over each other. If I designed this, I'd arrange the pcb pads in an order that doesn't require external wires to cross so a nice and tiny ribbon cable could be used, a la Lord Voultar's mods. I may even redesign the pcb to do this since they've released their schematic and are fine with people using it to make boards.

Ripped a few discs, used the PSIO software to merge bin files and generate CU2 files, then created some MULTIDISC.LST files, and got the 80x84 .bmp images.

Then found out I needed a firmware & FPGA update, so I went through that process too.. again, well-designed. PS1 works from CD as normal, but also plays perfectly from the PSIO. XA audio was fixed in the early December firmware update. When I install this in a shelf, I'm probably going to put some quiet active cooling blowing on the PSIO. Even though it may be designed to handle the heat, I'd like it to last forever.

..and now my Dreamcast awaits the DCIO, which I'll likely purchase when available.

As for the cost.. mint condition parallel port PS1 with controller and cords = $35 shipped on Ebay all day, even less with a broken CD player that you won't need to ever use. PSIO = $131 shipped from Stone Age Gamer. 128GB SDXC card $33 shipped on Amazon. There aren't too many other consoles where you can get the whole system with flash drive storage for under $200. The SD2SNES is just about that much without a flash card or SNES. Not having spinning discs and support for 512GB+ SDXC cards is huge on a system like this. Compared to the $80-196 for other flash based console kits, I don't think the PSIO is expensive at all.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

fernan1234 wrote:So I spent a good chunk of the past few days setting up a big set of games on SD cards for the PSIO using the Systems Console software and a good bit of manual editing of file names and file names in cue files. The main issue for me was name length, since I was setting up a large chunk of the NTSC-J set, and a lot of those games have really long names. Also a lot of redump games are multi-bin dumps so they will need merging.

Here are some tips that I learned for using the Systems Console:
1) Besides turning off auto-detection of the PSIO cartridge, turn off auto-backup for batch conversion to save a lot of time (just keep zipped copies as your own backup).
2) Put all bins and cues for all games in the same folder, and run batch conversion for that folder. This will merge multi-bin files AND replace cue with cu2 files for all games, so you won't ever have to worry about CDDA issues on any game. It will also create Multidisc list files for all multi-disc games. Everything will be moved to its own folder the way the PSIO likes it, so you'll just need to copy everything to the root of the SD card and you're done.

This batch conversion usually works great, but you the Systems Console will stop if either a) one of the games has a file name that it doesn't like (usually too long, sometimes the bracketed game code is the problem), or b) the file names indicated in the cue file differ from the bin file names (this is the case even in some Redump set games).
For a), I just placed all bins/cues that had long enough names (you'll get a sense of the limit soon enough) in a separate folder, and then ran batch conversion again for all long-name files and usually, for some reason, the Systems Console processed them without issue while shortening their name files.
For b), when the Systems Console asks if you want to manually locate the bin file, it seems better to say no and just manually edit the cue file and bin/cue file names and then run batch conversion again.

The batch conversion seems to fail once in a while, so it's always good to double-check your folders to make sure that all bins were merged.

In this way setting up a large set is not too bad. I also found that the default exFAT formatting of SD cards on a Mac works well. I have not seen any block size or fragmentation errors this way, though I did all file copying to the SD card should be done on Windows to avoid those annoying ._ files (though the PSIO is now set up to ignore those).

Thanks for this breakdown, It helped me figure out a few things.

Firstly .cue files never need editing. I'll explain.

If you try to batch convert a bin and cue it wont work as it states there's only a single file.
But if you throw a heap of single bin/cues in a folder with some games that have multiple bins then it will actually put the single bin/cue files in their own folders and create a CU2 file to use instead of the cue.
The CU2 file does not use any file names so you skip the whole editing cue to remove "." part. Heres an example of the insides of one.

Code: Select all

ntracks 9
size      47:38:00
data1     00:02:00
track02   05:30:71
track03   10:46:27
track04   16:08:36
track05   21:14:26
track06   26:30:02
track07   31:46:74
track08   37:05:71
track09   42:32:31

trk end   47:42:00
Its a much more versatile file to use than a cue as it doesn't require specific line spacing.
Heres an example of correct and incorrect cue format incase you have a dodgy cue file that needs fixing(I just copy another and edit the name)

Code: Select all

CORRECT CUE FORMAT

FILE "007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

INCORRECT CUE FORMAT (Will not compile to CU2)

FILE "007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA).bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

From here you can edit the bin/cue file names, just make sure they are the same as each other.

By the end of your conversions you should be able to check it all went well by searching the main folder for "TRACK" and "CUE". You shouldn't have either.
Be sure to do this check, as sometimes it does weird things like throw a game inside a different game folder or just passthru all the files from a game without converting.
Last edited by Syntax on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yes I found that too but forgot to mention it. That's the easiest way to get CU2 out of single bin files, though you can also just convert the CUE to CU2.

I also definitely needed to double check the folders because indeed it often placed converted images in the wrong folder, or within the folder of another game's previous track or disc.

Regarding performance of the PSIO itself I'm pretty disappointed with my first experience. I reported last week at their support forums that I was getting graphical glitches and even lock-ups on Final Fantasy 7, making it effectively unplayable on the PSIO. At first I suspected it was a bad dump of the NTSC-J version, but then two other people playing the NTSC-U version reported similar issues. It's such a popular game it's surprising this was not noted earlier.

Who knows what compatibility really is like with the PSIO. Sure, looks like most games load fine, which is what most people have been testing, but it may be a different story once you actually play through them and encounter bugs that don't manifest until a few of hours into a game.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I did feel like a couple of the games I played had parts of 3D sprites glitching in and out of existence and was intending on burning those titles to compare, but my little brother is coming over for Christmas and hes pretty much a savant with this kind of stuff so I'll use him instead.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

what are the 3 pins on the parallel port that get soldered to used for originally? are they just N/C in an unmodded playstation?

if yes, cool. if no, will an action replay still work on a PSIO modified console? (with the PSIO disconnected, obviously)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Says it will in the readme
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Installed 2 switch boards today and on both PS1 the expansion ports had pushed back/bent pins.

There's really not much stopping them from doing that, id recommend putting a bit of hot glue in there to help the pins support each other.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I used my PSIO to play the new MartinBiohazard patch for the Magic Zombie Door Resident Evil/Biohazard 1.5 iso last night. Judging by a recent tweet TeamIGAS is still working on their restoration but have gone silent while REmake 2 is in the pipeline. Probably to avoid a Cn'D, so after it's release maybe we'll hear some news. Very cool to run around the scrapped version of the precinct as Elza after all these years.
Godzilla was an inside job
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I got this installed a while back, but have been a bit busy to update.

Well, it does what it's supposed to do. Once modded, will run the games off of the SD card. It's good. I haven't had any problems with my collection.
EXCEPT, and this is the downside...some of the fiddling you have to do with the files is weird, compared to similar devices. Older games that stream the music from the CD have to have a "cu2" file, made for them to work (you download the program from their site). That's relatively easy, but I wasn't expecting it. I had problems with The DonPachis and In the Hunt, until figuring this out.
Multidisc is a bit of a pain in the ass. Especially if they have multitracks. You'll have to merge the tracks, make a tracklist....it takes a little reading into. Lunar: Silver Star Story, even after doing all this, wouldn't work in the k1v3 mode. But it does work in the k1v2 mode. It's very simple to switch.

I like the device, but I would like if they could make the streaming games run without having to make a cu2 file. And it'd be nice to not have to merge multitrack games, and having to make multitrack lists (sometimes both processes), to get the game fit to work.

I'm sure it's tricky to program around these things though.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I probably missed it, but how do we get and install the new firmware?

I logged into their website, but don't see the firmware listed in the "Downloads" page (unless I'm blind).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Put your details in here and it comes up as a download below.
https://ps-io.com/downloads/
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Syntax wrote:Put your details in here and it comes up as a download below.
Thanks, that's probably why (would have thought my account linked to the order I placed with them would have already had my serial # on it...especially if they're not making the firmware public for some strange reason...).
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Syntax wrote:Put your details in here and it comes up as a download below.
Thanks, that's probably why (would have thought my account linked to the order I placed with them would have already had my serial # on it...especially if they're not making the firmware public for some strange reason...).
I believe it is because of the issues the GDEMU guy has had with people selling counterfeits. By putting the firmware behind a wall like this, they are ensuring that only owners of legitimate products can update and thus protecting their IP. I'm sure they would rather not have to do it, too, but with the way things are, gotta do what they gotta do.
FBX

Post by FBX »

thebigcheese wrote:
I believe it is because of the issues the GDEMU guy has had with people selling counterfeits. By putting the firmware behind a wall like this, they are ensuring that only owners of legitimate products can update and thus protecting their IP. I'm sure they would rather not have to do it, too, but with the way things are, gotta do what they gotta do.
RetroRGB was saying there's a better way to do it than to make it difficult on legit customers, but I don't think Matt has reached out to him for better solutions on this yet.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

FBX wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:
RetroRGB was saying there's a better way to do it than to make it difficult on legit customers, but I don't think Matt has reached out to him for better solutions on this yet.
I don't understand this.

Isn't a potential cloner probably going to buy at least 1 of the original hardware anyways?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

djc5166 wrote:
FBX wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:
I don't understand this.

Isn't a potential cloner probably going to buy at least 1 of the original hardware anyways?
For now, this is true. I don't think the existing firmware is locked to specific devices, but I recall reading that doing so was a possibility; so, currently, I believe I can retrieve firmware from the CybDyn website using my information and get firmware that should be installable on any PSIO, but that could very well change so that the firmware I download is locked to the serial number of the unit I purchased, making it uninstallable on someone else's PSIO.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I would think that after years of DRM fiascos companies would have gotten the memo that inconveniencing paying customers in the name of IP is NEVER acceptable.

Apparently these guys haven't
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Looks like new firmware will be released later today :)

https://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum ... start=1340
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Looks like the PSIO has been reverse engineered:
https://github.com/ps-iowned/ps-iowned

Hopefully this will lead to an open-source firmware that has better compatibility and isn't tied to a serial number.

This will also be nice for those with models that aren't compatible with X-Station (like the 75XX models) and those who want to keep the CD drive intact.
Jorel81

Post by Jorel81 »

Maybe somebody can fix R-Type Delta from crashing on stage 5 finally...it was only reported 2 years ago...
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Interesting necro bump for a necro device!

Man this topic brings back some bad PSIO memories. It was cool what it did for its time as the only way to avoid using discs, but at least for me it ended up being more of a headache and taking away from playing games than anything else.

At this point I imagine there must still be around 100 people worldwide who still use this thing, so hopefully for them there can be some improvements in the open source firmware, though you also have to wonder who'll be motivated to work on it.
Jorel81

Post by Jorel81 »

fernan1234 wrote:Interesting necro bump for a necro device!

Man this topic brings back some bad PSIO memories. It was cool what it did for its time as the only way to avoid using discs, but at least for me it ended up being more of a headache and taking away from playing games than anything else.

At this point I imagine there must still be around 100 people worldwide who still use this thing, so hopefully for them there can be some improvements in the open source firmware, though you also have to wonder who'll be motivated to work on it.

The question I have is, how much better is Xstation?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Jorel81 wrote:The question I have is, how much better is Xstation?
When X-station launched it was already running laps around it, and it has only gotten better since. The dev has done remarkable work making it not just virtually fully compatible but extremely accurate to the original drive behavior to cover any odd margin cases. At this point it's not even comparable.

If you check the github issues page you'll see it has become a place where people only go for help with install troubleshooting, all bugs have been squashed. Testing of accuracy even revealed that a Redump dump was bad and wouldn't work on a disc drive either: https://github.com/x-station/xstation-issues/issues/128

In short, anyone who wants to use original consoles but without discs should go for it without concerns. We're fortunately way past the dark ages on this.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Yeah, the X-Station is definitely better overall. There's also the upcoming Pico Station, which will probably be cheaper.

The PSIO has some advantages in some situations though, like if you want to install it in a 750X model or if you want to keep the disc drive. It also has readily available clones on Aliexpress, not that I like to condone clones (not a fan of ripping people off even if the original dev hasn't fixed any bugs for years and ties firmware to serial numbers).