OSSC and Vision AV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thetallguy24

OSSC and Vision AV

Post by thetallguy24 »

Has anyone had experience with the OSSC and the Datapath VisionAV capture card? I just got both, and the VisionAV does not like the OSSC at all when using the SNES or N64.

The SNES rarely works outside of 2x mode and the N64 is super blurry.

The only way I can get the card to work (sometimes) is to chain the SNES/N64 -> XRGB-2 Plus -> OSSC -> Vision capture card. I can't figure out a single setting in the OSSC that allows me to use it solo with the capture card with those two consoles.

Anybody have any suggestions? Should I switch to a Framemeister?
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC and Vision AV

Post by nmalinoski »

Try with a different console, like a PlayStation. The NES and SNES are known to have jittery sync that many capture cards and displays have trouble with (to be remedied with a dejitter mod or a compatible external video processor), and the N64 has a pretty consistent horizontal blur effect applied to pretty much everything (more info, remedied with deblur-capable RGB mod boards by either Tim Worthington or borti).
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

nmalinoski wrote:Try with a different console, like a PlayStation. The NES and SNES are known to have jittery sync that many capture cards and displays have trouble with (to be remedied with a dejitter mod or a compatible external video processor), and the N64 has a pretty consistent horizontal blur effect applied to pretty much everything (more info, remedied with deblur-capable RGB mod boards by either Tim Worthington or borti).
The issue is I run tournaments and have to be able to stream SNES and N64. Switching to a different console doesn't help me in this situation.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

How far down the rabbit hole have you gone with sync and other settings on the OSSC?

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

SavagePencil wrote:How far down the rabbit hole have you gone with sync and other settings on the OSSC?

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

I've tried all I know. Im not a videophile, so Im not an expert. Ive tried adjusting the LPFs, sampling phase, etc with little to no change

thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

nmalinoski wrote:Try with a different console, like a PlayStation. The NES and SNES are known to have jittery sync that many capture cards and displays have trouble with (to be remedied with a dejitter mod or a compatible external video processor), and the N64 has a pretty consistent horizontal blur effect applied to pretty much everything (more info, remedied with deblur-capable RGB mod boards by either Tim Worthington or borti).

Well I just plugged in my PS2 slim (Street Fighter Anniversary Collection) via Scart into the OSSC, and I dont get a picture either plugging it into my monitor or into the capture card. OSD shows no sync. I'm starting to think the OSSC sounds good on paper, but I can't seem to find much that works with it.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

I fixed the PS2 issue. Didn’t realize it doesn’t work with RGB. You have to set everything to YPbPr. Now back to the Snes/64 issues
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It'll work with component leads.

Put ps2 in RGB mode.

Put ossc in RGsB mode.

Done.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Syntax wrote:It'll work with component leads.

Put ps2 in RGB mode.

Put ossc in RGsB mode.

Done.
Either way, I got the PS2 to work, which is a positive.

For the SNES, I've tried the DVI mode, but no good.

I also keep getting inconsistent refresh rates with the SNES with the same game. Sometimes its 15.73khz 60.05hz. I turned it off over night and tried it this morning and got 15.74khz 60.08hz. It will work fine in 2x mode, but when I change it to any other mode, the video goes out. I can get up to 5x mode through the capture card for the N64, but its just so blurry.

When I chain it to my XRGB2-Plus (which seems to be the only solution right now), I get 31.46khz 60.05hz.

I have also tried switching out Scart cables from the CSYNC cable to the Luma Scart with no luck.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

sounds like you need the dejitter mod for your SNES
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61285

as for the N64, it's a pretty blurry console to begin with, are you sure your results are worse than normal?
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

maxtherabbit wrote:sounds like you need the dejitter mod for your SNES
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61285

as for the N64, it's a pretty blurry console to begin with, are you sure your results are worse than normal?

For the N64, if I send it to my XRGB-2 Plus first, the blurriness decreases significantly. but it does not maintain a steady signal
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You should be able to deblur N64 with optimal timings.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have a VisionLC card. I will try if the higher resolution work with a SNES.

BUT this said, since the Vision cards do 4:4:4 RGB capture and you can use the optimized 256px sampling mode on SNES on 2x as well, you don't really gain anything by using a higher resolution, that you cannot achieve just as well using post processing. Of course I don't know that you're doing, maybe you're live streaming? But if you're recording for archival or further editing. 2x is really good enough as long you know how to record (codec, color resolution) and further process your videos.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Fudoh wrote:I have a VisionLC card. I will try if the higher resolution work with a SNES.

BUT this said, since the Vision cards do 4:4:4 RGB capture and you can use the optimized 256px sampling mode on SNES on 2x as well, you don't really gain anything by using a higher resolution, that you cannot achieve just as well using post processing. Of course I don't know that you're doing, maybe you're live streaming? But if you're recording for archival or further editing. 2x is really good enough as long you know how to record (codec, color resolution) and further process your videos.
Yes I am live streaming
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What do you use to scale and position your footage? OBS?
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Fudoh wrote:What do you use to scale and position your footage? OBS?
I use OBS. To ensure maximum frame rate of gameplay streaming, I use OBS' window capture of the Vision window
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Fudoh wrote:I have a VisionLC card. I will try if the higher resolution work with a SNES.

Ok another update. I copied the settings used by FBX in his SNES Optimal timings video and came up with an interesting issue.

When I follow his settings, the picture does not show up when Line4x is set to 256x240. It will show up in 4:3, but it does lose signal every 10 seconds or so.
FBX

Post by FBX »

thetallguy24 wrote:

Ok another update. I copied the settings used by FBX in his SNES Optimal timings video and came up with an interesting issue.

When I follow his settings, the picture does not show up when Line4x is set to 256x240. It will show up in 4:3, but it does lose signal every 10 seconds or so.
As I mentioned in our PM's you're likely dealing with the jitter issue that some displays and capture cards simply can't handle.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@thetallguy24, correct me if I missed something but I'm curious; to begin does your monitor handle all the consoles you intend to use/stream straight from the ossc, with no card nor xrgb in the chain? and at all multiple modes? (test all modes with each console)

IMHO wherever the OSSC is involved this is always where to start, you need to know the extent of your display's compatibility with it before attempting to add anything else in the chain.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
DarkAries

Post by DarkAries »

The VisionAV card is not the same as a VisionRGB card. Meaning it will not handle the OSSC very well and often give you no signal. If you were wanting to use a datapath card I would sell it and grab the VisionRGB line instead. If you absolutely need composite grab a dvd recorder, a line doubler etc. You will need to capture audio with a separate device though such as the line in on your computer.

Unless you bought the card brand new and can get support from datapath, this is the better solution IMHO.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FWIW, DVD Recorders are nice 480i comb filter passthrough machines for laserdisks, but I don't know of many that handle 240p properly.
We apologise for the inconvenience
DarkAries

Post by DarkAries »

orange808 wrote:FWIW, DVD Recorders are nice 480i comb filter passthrough machines for laserdisks, but I don't know of many that handle 240p properly.
At least on my panasonic it just turns the 240p signal into 480i so you would just turn the fields into frames if you do 480i pass through. If you make the unit ouput 480p then it just acts as a line doubler.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Another update. I received HD Retrovision cables for the SNES and still had the same issues, so it looks like the OSSC is just not friendly to the VisionAV. Good thing I order some Vision E1's