What Gamcube HDMI Solution is the best?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Revolver Ocelot

What Gamcube HDMI Solution is the best?

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

I am looking for a decent way to use HDMI on my Gamecube. I know there are 2 plug and Play Solutions. The HDMI Adapter form Zelda pro and the more expensive solution from EON.

There is also a way to a internal mod for HDMI Output.

I am lacking the skills of doing the mod by myself so I would Need to find something to do it for me if necessary.

What of the above mentioned Solutions is the best one?

One the plug and Play Solutions or the internal mod?

Would be pleased Hearing some advice.
thebigcheese

Re: What Gamcube HDMI Solution is the best?

Post by thebigcheese »

They are all based on the same circuit, so they are identical in terms of the video quality. The latest Zeldaxpro one fixed the previous issues it had with shorting pins, so in terms of risk to your console, there is none. Either external solution will be basically identical.

The internal solution gives you the option to do component and RGB in addition to HDMI. If you don't have any interest in the analog connections, then there's no reason to go that route.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

GCDual > GCVideo > Zeldaxpro
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:They are all based on the same circuit, so they are identical in terms of the video quality. The latest Zeldaxpro one fixed the previous issues it had with shorting pins, so in terms of risk to your console, there is none. Either external solution will be basically identical.

The internal solution gives you the option to do component and RGB in addition to HDMI. If you don't have any interest in the analog connections, then there's no reason to go that route.
The latest Zeldaxpro is actually the GCPlug. (My board design with collingal's connector. He is using his own case design, I think its glued shut.) :roll:
The GCDual has ESD protection on the HDMI lines, none of the plug in designs do. (And obviously analog video output)

If you want a plug in play and want it now, get the EON. Otherwise signup for the GCDual. :P

Still curious to know what BAC is up to. Perhaps a larger FPGA with 480p line doubling? Not sure why he is waiting, unless fab is still taking a while.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

other than the community's general hate for ZXP, is there really a technical reason to get the EON over his? the EON is also glued shut and neither have a provision for updates AFAIK

IMO the lower cost and not having the multi out obstructed make me lean toward a ZXP, because I just don't love the cube enough to invest the time or money for an internal solution
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

maxtherabbit wrote:other than the community's general hate for ZXP, is there really a technical reason to get the EON over his? the EON is also glued shut and neither have a provision for updates AFAIK

IMO the lower cost and not having the multi out obstructed make me lean toward a ZXP, because I just don't love the cube enough to invest the time or money for an internal solution

Technically the EON has a better connector as its molded plastic, and not 3D printed.

Both the zelda and eon boards are updatedable, but you'd have to break the case to get inside.
There is is guy, that is selling a legit GCPlug, and I'd recommend it over the Zelda. This can be opened up and updated easily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-adapter-G ... FI9mRbWvjw
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

If only someone would produce and sell your GCMax so we could have HDMI and analog without mods......
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

citrus3000psi wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:other than the community's general hate for ZXP, is there really a technical reason to get the EON over his? the EON is also glued shut and neither have a provision for updates AFAIK

Technically the EON has a better connector as its molded plastic, and not 3D printed.

Both the zelda and eon boards are updatedable, but you'd have to break the case to get inside.
There is is guy, that is selling a legit GCPlug, and I'd recommend it over the Zelda. This can be opened up and updated easily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-adapter-G ... FI9mRbWvjw
nice find, think I'ma get that one
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:If only someone would produce and sell your GCMax so we could have HDMI and analog without mods......
Its not an easy project to mass produce.
-Analog cables are difficult to make.
-CDK3404 is obsolete, so board needs a redesign
-Mini Toslink is hard to get
-Can't use HDMI and RGB at same time, as cables conflict with one another.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

citrus3000psi wrote:-CDK3404 is obsolete, so board needs a redesign
Since the board needs a redesign anyway, would it be terribly difficult to modify the layout to accommodate more spacing between the HDMI and RGB (Wii-style AV cable, I presume?) ports, as well as full-size TOSLINK?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

nmalinoski wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:-CDK3404 is obsolete, so board needs a redesign
Since the board needs a redesign anyway, would it be terribly difficult to modify the layout to accommodate more spacing between the HDMI and RGB (Wii-style AV cable, I presume?) ports, as well as full-size TOSLINK?
If I was to redo the design, I think I redesign it to be more like BAC's Dual out. That is a slick design, as he pulls analog audio from the multiout. But I'm not just going to jump out and copy his design. I'm tired of working on the gamecube. So at the them moment I have no plans of designing anything. That's not to say I won't revisit the project at some point.
Revolver Ocelot

Thanks for the replies. did not know that the zelda guy ha a bad reputation here in the community. Due to the price the Zelda Pro was my first choice. But I am willing to pay more if I get better quality.

So I will either consider the Eon, or try to find an modder that can mod the stuff for me. If I can find one I would wait for the GCDual as it looks promising.

I also need to check the Plug and Play in the ebay Link.

Are the Zelda Pro, the Eon and the plug and play in the ebay Link they only plug and play currently available or are there some other plug and play solutions planned in the near future?

I have no problem with waiting. My old cube broke an I am hunting for another cube with the digal out plug. So I can wait.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:try to find an modder that can mod the stuff for me. If I can find one I would wait for the GCDual as it looks promising.
I do mods for the GCDual's. I only charge 30 for an install. :D You can signup on the my website. It asks you if you want install service or not.

http://www.dansprojects.com
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Thanks for the replies. did not know that the zelda guy ha a bad reputation here in the community. Due to the price the Zelda Pro was my first choice. But I am willing to pay more if I get better quality.

So I will either consider the Eon, or try to find an modder that can mod the stuff for me. If I can find one I would wait for the GCDual as it looks promising.

Are the Zelda Pro, the Eon and the plug and play in the ebay Link they only plug and play currently available or are there some other plug and play solutions planned in the near future?

I have no problem with waiting. My old cube broke an I am hunting for another cube with the digal out plug. So I can wait.
In fairness, the bad rep comes from the previous versions of his product. The pins were not properly isolated from one another and jiggling it around could short two pins together and fry the GameCube. Not great. But I think he learned a really hard lesson and is making good on it by replacing all the old units with new ones for free, which is actually some really great customer service. And a lot of money out of his own pocket to make good on his own failings. Given that he has fixed the problem and that it's based on the same GCVideo as everything else, I feel like there's not much reason to choose one over another.

Having said that, citrus is the man for GCVideo stuff (finally nearing the top of the wait list, very excited to get my Dual). My understanding of the Eon, though, was that the multiout isn't actually used, it's just connected for support. Audio is still taken from the digital out AFAIK, making it functionally identical to the ZeldaXPro unit. I could be wrong, though.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Dan's the man if you go the mod route, I installed a GCDual in my own cube and I prefer it a lot over the old Pluto board+collingall mount that replaced the digital port. If you visit his website he prioritizes installs over kits so you wouldn't have to wait nearly as long. If you do go GCDual and would like a component cable let me know as I'm planning on making a few with Dan's multiout PCB plus HDRetrovision connector (I'm going to try to use HDRetrovision cables too but they might be too thicc)
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
Revolver Ocelot

thebigcheese wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:Thanks for the replies. did not know that the zelda guy ha a bad reputation here in the community. Due to the price the Zelda Pro was my first choice. But I am willing to pay more if I get better quality.

In fairness, the bad rep comes from the previous versions of his product. The pins were not properly isolated from one another and jiggling it around could short two pins together and fry the GameCube. Not great. But I think he learned a really hard lesson and is making good on it by replacing all the old units with new ones for free, which is actually some really great customer service. And a lot of money out of his own pocket to make good on his own failings. Given that he has fixed the problem and that it's based on the same GCVideo as everything else, I feel like there's not much reason to choose one over another.

Having said that, citrus is the man for GCVideo stuff (finally nearing the top of the wait list, very excited to get my Dual). My understanding of the Eon, though, was that the multiout isn't actually used, it's just connected for support. Audio is still taken from the digital out AFAIK, making it functionally identical to the ZeldaXPro unit. I could be wrong, though.

Thanks for the infos. I did some more research about the Zeldapro and also saw the Video from Metal Jesus Rocks on youtube about the dangers of the version 2.0 of the Zeldapro. But version 3.0 seems alright now.

I still decided to the Dual route. I already pro ordered one of them.

Thanks again to everybody for advice. You guys were really helpful.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

Does anyone know how much time the HDMI converterters take to convert the GameCube Digital-Out signal? Kind of curious how much of a delay the devices introduce to one's gameplay.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

None. They don't do any scaling.
strayan

Post by strayan »

thebigcheese wrote:I think he learned a really hard lesson and is making good on it by replacing all the old units with new ones for free, which is actually some really great customer service.
Did not know this and have not received any replacement.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

strayan wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:I think he learned a really hard lesson and is making good on it by replacing all the old units with new ones for free, which is actually some really great customer service.
Did not know this and have not received any replacement.
Probably have to ask for one.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Roboplodicus wrote:Does anyone know how much time the HDMI converterters take to convert the GameCube Digital-Out signal?
I haven't bothered figuring out the exact numbers, but for 240p/288p/480i/576i content it is below 0.003 milliseconds and for 480p it isbelow 0.0015 milliseconds. If you turn on the linedoubler to convert 240p/288p/480i/576i to 480p/576p, the delay increases, but it will still be less than 0.07 milliseconds.
Kind of curious how much of a delay the devices introduce to one's gameplay.
Effectively nothing since the delay added by your TV/monitor is a few orders of magnitude larger.