JVS power input CN7 +5V

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
pixelcorps

JVS power input CN7 +5V

Post by pixelcorps »

Hi, I am doing a little software R&D on controller I/O.

I am wondering if I can power a JVS without resorting to an arcade power supply so I can make a compact desktop setup for my experiments without using my arcade cabinet.

I`m not using jamma boards at all - the set up would be like this.

PC -> JVS -> JAMMA-> REWIRED CONSOLE JOYSTICK

the only thing needing external power in this setup, after the PC of course, would be the JVS, so I am assuming I could wire up a mains adaptor to the JVS via the jamma harness or CN7 or CN6 +5V, although I am unsure if this is IN or OUT

So I wanted to know how much power Sega and Taito JVS units use, and would this idea be safe?
Xer Xian

Re: JVS power input CN7 +5V

Post by Xer Xian »

pixelcorps wrote:So I wanted to know how much power Sega and Taito JVS units use, and would this idea be safe?
Apparently, not much (second table, last row). At least when you don't use them for audio/video.

According to this source, CN7 is IN while CN8 is OUT for that specific Sega I/O.

I'd like to be able to buy a little DSub to JVS adapter to input controls to a Naomi while fooling it into believing it's hooked up to a standard I/O board :P
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

Thanks, thats interesting.. So I am now thinking I could probably power it from a USB cable instead of a mains adapter?

Can anyone advise on this idea?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I'm no expert, but I don't see what could go wrong? Especially if you check that the voltage coming from the PSU is reasonably close to 5v. I/O boards may not even be as picky as other arcade gear in terms of accepted/safe voltage range..
MKL

Post by MKL »

The I/O board will not be recognized by the PC as a USB device because it isn't one. It just uses the same connector as USB.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

That part I also understand, hence the note I was doing R&D..

I just need to know how I can power the JVS in the most compact and low voltage manner.