TVOne Corio2 Downscaler Novice/Advice/Review(?)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: TVOne Corio2 Downscaler Novice/Advice/Review(?)

Post by orange808 »

Just for reference, you have to start out with an output timing that is very close to the final refresh rate you will need after adjustment. For console purposes, 60Hz is good starting point.

There's still times that making a fresh custom resolution makes sense.

For instance, if you are planning to drive an arcade monitor, using the native refresh of your game, from a PC MAME setup: you might create a custom resolution for that with the refresh rate set to match the game's known output timing. After that, you would do a little fine adjustment.

This can also apply to emulating computers.
Dochartaigh wrote:
I'm hoping that if I can't find the settings to change H/V Size/Centering on the Corio2 on-screen menu's that i can tweak these numbers in the resolution and shift it a little bit...but I haven't had time to jump into this lately.
You can adjust the vertical and horizontal backporch settings to center the image--and save the custom output timings (when you are done).

------
@retrorgb
Tried it through the Crosspoint. Works fine.

Also, the checkerboard and line patterns should be coming out clean. I don't have an Emotia or Genius 2 for comparison, but the test pattern anomalies you reference on the website (with other devices) shouldn't be there on the C2.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:You can adjust the vertical and horizontal backporch settings to center the image--and save the custom output timings (when you are done).
My problem is usually not centering which I can mostly figure out, but it's scaling the image, which in my setup needs to be less tall only, side to side is fine. I still need to try some of the things you and Xer Xian told me to try.

orange808 wrote: the checkerboard and line patterns should be coming out clean. I don't have an Emotia or Genius 2 for comparison, but the test pattern anomalies you reference on the website (with other devices) shouldn't be there on the C2.
I'll post the small amount of screenshots I took from the 240p test suite on a Dreamcast below (downscaled through a Corio2), but I didn't take any of the test screens. If you guys want me to take any of a certain test let me know (and how you want them: full screen and full size, blow-ups of certain areas or what). These below photos are crappy, and are also from my PVM-3230 which isn't a crazy sharp monitor or anything (just a HUGE pvm so I can't help but love it ;)

I also wanted to double check: I know the Dreamcast can output 240p natively for some arcade ports and games like Bangai-O and such, but when I have the Toro set to 480p mode, and my multiformat BVM-D20 is telling me it's in 480p, this really is outputting in 480p despite me running the 240p test suite program, correct? Just wanted to make sure these are proper examples of downscaling 480p on the Dreamcast to 240p on my 15khz PVM monitor.
Spoiler

Video of the face with the little bee on it with it's shadow (which the shadow properly shows up as transparent): https://youtu.be/cTUsYfazGQE

I'll also add this: 2 frames of lag with the Corio2 (vs a 480p signal straight to a multiformat monitor). The 14L5 is actually a frame behind the BVM-D20F1U --both running in 480p-- which I thought to be interesting (same exact length cables and everything).
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Dochartaigh wrote: My problem is usually not centering which I can mostly figure out, but it's scaling the image, which in my setup needs to be less tall only, side to side is fine.
Not much you can do there on the video processor side. The amount of vertical overscan you get depends on your display's settings. Using the video processor to merge any of the 240 output scanlines would destroy the image. Adjusting the horizontal size/zoom/overscan is easy, but the vertical resolution is discrete.
Dochartaigh wrote:Note that the 14L5 (top right) is actually a frame behind the BVM-D20F1U (bottom right) --both running in 480p-- which I thought to be interesting (same exact length cables and everything).
That's probably the rolling shutter on your camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/vi ... al-shutter
We apologise for the inconvenience
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

*Update: Got the Startech serial adapter from work. I was able to factory firmware reset proving my previous cable was a POS.

But, sadly now I am confirming what Xer Xian already did on its little brother model - the 2105A 'down scaler' does not output 240p..

Like I mentioned in my first posts, this thing skips over like over half of the factory resolutions... There seems to be no way to 'force' the thing to just use the custom resolution timings that Orange shared. I tried with the Corio Suite under Basic > Output Resolution > selecting the Orange timings only to be hung up on a 'Reading' prompt for eternity https://imgur.com/niJmi5d

I am greeted by the default #1 resolution of 'NTSC 59.94' or whatever its called, so its basically just a heavy paperweight pass-thru. It was exciting for awhile, thought I lucked out with a DVDO equivalent. I'll keep my eyes out for these models others are claiming is working for them.

If anyone has some secret menu hint that will make this thing wake up let me know

Lets keep this thread open for other TvOne products, I can change the title if need be (feel free to suggest a new title)
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Bumping my own thread, I ordered a c2-2200. It will be coming in a few days.

I just wanted to confirm, the outputs listed on the site mention RGBHV, RGsB, RGBS and YPbPr, with the only outputting hardware being a VGA HD-15, would something like this work for YPbPr if I wanted to output to something that only has component, maybe like a high consumer grade CRT? Edit: would help if I left the link of the thing I am asking about Sorry if its a basic question, I'd rather just be sure before I place an order from Monoprice (or somewhere else if the quality is shit)

Hopefully the c2 2200 will be a good investment :)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm assuming that cable will work, but I would rather get one of the 5x BNC ones (the little dongle type with 3-4" female BNC's on it) by Extron or Liberty or Kramer or Polycom or whatever (those are all commonly found on eBay - only tried Extron myself which I have a dozen of). That way you have the option to do everything and not just YPbPr or RGsB.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm assuming that cable will work, but I would rather get one of the 5x BNC ones (the little dongle type with 3-4" female BNC's on it) by Extron or Liberty or Kramer or Polycom or whatever (those are all commonly found on eBay - only tried Extron myself which I have a dozen of). That way you have the option to do everything and not just YPbPr or RGsB.
Thats a great point.. I already own one of those cables, I can just get some of these if I ever wanted to bring it to a friends house that doesn't have a monitor with BNC: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4127
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

As long as your dongle ends in male BNC's (the majority end in female I think), then yes, those would work.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

c2-2200A success:
Spoiler
As usual, the picture above isn't the greatest, its from an s6 as I do not own a $$$ camera.

orange808 thank you for sharing those timings, along with great instructions. I owe you a beer or three.

The image so far is pretty offset on the sides. Missing area on the sides, but my guess that is the settings on my D20 end. I will create a profile for each console that I use the with the Corio2 on the BVM. I did try adjusting the TopLeft / Panning, but its no use if the stock settings on the BVM are shit. My next step is to do the numbered steps #1-5 from orange808

Next up, time to try out Dreamcast! 8)

Anyone recommend any games on 360 for me to pickup to enjoy the sweet sweet scanlines? :D
rvdriessen

Post by rvdriessen »

Hi all,
Ive just purchased a Corio2 C2-1250 via Ebay (will arrive in about 2 weeks:) )

My goal is to use my modded PS3 to play for example PS1-games in 240p resolution on my CRT (B&O MX7000)
Also im looking forward to use the PS3 to watch retro movies via PLEX (plugin from Movian) in 240p on the CRT :)

Hookup will be:
Input> SCART cable PS3 --> 3xBNC Corio2 or
PS3 HDMI to VGA --> VGA input on the Corio

Output> 5xBNC to Scart --> CRT

Now for my Noob question:
Does the corio do this already out of the box or do I absolutely need to configure it with the PC?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
JBC

Post by JBC »

Hey guys, is it possible to play light gun games using a Corio2? I have my Dreamcast running into one through VGA outputting component to my CRT with a GDEmu running House Of The Dead 2 Jap version. I'm using the official Sega Dreamcast Gun. Unfortunately the reticle flies all over the screen in the calibration menu. This also occurs on Virtua Cop 2. Not sure if it's the gun I bought from eBay or an issue with digital processing. Thanks
Godzilla was an inside job
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

8BA wrote:Hey guys, is it possible to play light gun games using a Corio2? I have my Dreamcast running into one through VGA outputting component to my CRT with a GDEmu running House Of The Dead 2 Jap version. I'm using the official Sega Dreamcast Gun. Unfortunately the reticle flies all over the screen in the calibration menu. This also occurs on Virtua Cop 2. Not sure if it's the gun I bought from eBay or an issue with digital processing. Thanks
There could be a few things at play. First, if you're using a third-party light gun, this thread suggests that there are accuracy problems with some of them.

Secondly, I expect the Corio2 is going to add about a frame of lag, even if you're just transcoding from RGB to YPbPr (and getting 480p out), and it absolutely would be if you're also downscaling to 480i. You should look into using a straight transcoder, like those from Shinybow (SB-2840), Retrotek (VGACTV2), or Mike Chi (not yet released at time of writing), which won't add any lag.

Lastly, if your CRT is recent enough to have any kind of digital inputs (DVI, HDMI), then it's possible your CRT is adding input lag on its own, and enough to cause incompatibility with light gun games.