TVOne Corio2 Downscaler Novice/Advice/Review(?)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
korpse413

TVOne Corio2 Downscaler Novice/Advice/Review(?)

Post by korpse413 »

Hello, I recently picked up a downscaler for ~$40 to play around with. It is the TVOne Corio2 C2-2105.

The purpose of this thread is to share information on it, and learn from those who know way more than I do. Disclosure: though it will become obvious by my lack of knowledge explaining things - This is my first experience with a downscaler. I would like to know if most of these timings and settings that I will share are a 'standard' across other downscalers (first that comes to mind is something like a DVDO)?

I noticed that in the menu tree the option of toggling 'Advanced Menu's' [On/Off] - of course this is set to Off by default, but that is boring right :) Toggling this option to On reveals the submenu... [Adjust Resolutions 'WARNING Adjust with Care!'] - will do TVOne... will do... Within Adjust Resolutions are the following:

- Image to adjust [1 of 122]: This appears to be '122' either previously saved profiles, or just factory default commonly used resolutions in the field to choose from
- Interlaced [On/Off]
- H.Freq.crsc [_ _ _._ _ _]kHz: This allows you to increase/decrease kHz by 0.100 at a time
- H.Freq.fine " ": Same as above but allows you to 'fine tune' increase/decrease by 0.001 at a time
- Clks/l [_ _ _] = _ _._ _ MHz: Whatever value you toggle in the brackets affects the MHz
- Lines/f [_ _ _] = _ _._ _ Hz: " " affects the Hz
- H/V active [_ _ _]x[_ _ _]: ?
- H/V start [_ _] [_ _]: ?
- H/V sync [_ _] [_ _]: ?
- Sync Polarity *can be set to* [+H+V] or [-H+V] or [+H-V] or [-H-V]: ??

The purpose of my purchase is in laymen's terms play games that are 480p or possibly higher(? unlikely?) in 240p with scanlines (Xbox360 Cave shooters; MM9/10; 2D fighters that might not have a 240p mode; *suggest another game here*; etc etc). Consider me a fan of what Fudoh has shown off on his site

During my very quick trial run I used an OEM Xbox360 cable into the TVOnes VGA input, with BNC male-to-male out of the scalers Y/Pb/Pr (also listed as Y/Cb/Cr) output. The Xbox was simply on its home main menu in 640x480p. When selecting the different outputs in the menu of the TVOne I noticed YUV would leave me with the Xbox main menu with a deep green tint. FYI - I can go into greater detail on these other menus in the future. I selected another output and eventually got a passthru image of the Xbox main menu, this then lead me to discover the Advanced menus I mention above and the eventual confusion and need of studying..

My testing monitor is a D20F1U, so it can hopefully handle wonky signals I toss at it while I learn timings of this thing. My goal is to hopefully allow me to bring the scaler anywhere, like a buddies house who might own a decent consumer CRT for downconverted 240p content.

Hopefully those of you with more knowledge in A/V can teach me a thing or two. I can compile pictures of each menu showing them in greater detail, the unit itself, etc. if there is interest. I appreciate all of you for taking the time to listen
orange808

Re: TVOne Corio2 Downscaler Novice/Advice/Review(?)

Post by orange808 »

I have no experience with that device. It may or may not work. Please share your results.

Here's how 480p to 240p works on a Corio2 upscaler:

Feed 480p into the Corio2.

You need to download the Corio2 Suite from the TVOne website. Do that now. You need a DB9 pin cable to USB adapter. Find one.

When you get the scaler, plug it into your computer and use the Corio software to add a custom resolution. This will be your base 60Hz 240p output resolution. You will want to make copies of this custom saved 240p resolution for each of your consoles, but never edit this one.

240p timings:
Pixel clock: 13.539 MHz (Don't worry if it's a little off)
Scan rate: 15.780 KHz
Frame rate: 60 (Don't worry if it says 59.999 or 60.001)

Horizonal Active: 720
Hor Front Porch: 41
Hor Sync Width: 64
Hor Back Porch: 33
Hor Total: 858
Hor Polarity: Negative

Vertical Actve: 240
Ver Front Porch: 9
Ver Sync Width: 3
Ver Back Porch: 11
Ver Total: 263
Ver Polarity: Negative

Make sure the interlaced box is not checked.
Name your custom output 240p 60Hz.
Save it.
That will be your base standard output.
Make a copy of the 240p 60Hz and name it 240p (console name) example: 240p PS2

Make sure the output is set to YUV for component output.

(You may need an HD15 adapter cable to plug consoles into the Corio2.)

Now, you need to create a profile. Set the scaler to 240p. Save the settings as Profile 1. Now, when you plug the machine into a television, it should default to 240p at boot.

Plug the scaler into the display.
Plug the game console in and get 480p.
Go into the Corio2 menu and turn on Advanced Menus

Select the input on the Corio2.
You should see the game on screen.

Change the output resolution to the 240p PS2 you created.
Use the Corio "autoset" feature.
After it finishes, find Windows into the menu.
Change the aspect change from Simple to Advanced.
If necessary, use the horizontal zoom to adjust the horizontal size.
Don't worry about centering the picture just yet.
Don't touch anything with vertical settings here.

Go to Sources
Use the TL (Top Left) menu to adjust the vertical position and make the scanlines look right.
Also use this menu to center the picture horizontally.
Don't touch the bottom right sampling controls!

Now, you need to adjust the output refresh rate to match the source. There's no quick and easy way. You'll want to do this for every console.

Go to Adjust Resolutions and edit 240p PS2.
Find H.frq.fine
**H.frq.fine is the only thing you ever want to change here.**

Find Lines/f[ 263]= 60.000Hz
You'll look at this (but never edit or change the amount of lines!) to check what the refresh rate is.

You will need a test pattern.
Find a game that scrolls the screen smoothly at a fixed speed.

Watch closely. You should see occasional "skips" and studders.
Adjust the H.frq.fine until the output runs smoothly.

5. Exit the editor and the refresh rate settings are automatically saved.

PS2 should be set up. Repeat the refresh rate setup with each console. (It's easier on Dreamcast because it has the 240p Test Suite Green Hill Zone scroll test pattern.)

Good luck.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Above is the most elegant way to do it, but you can also simply select one of those 122 presets and customize that one through the scaler's menu - just use one that you know you will never need as either input or output (like 640x480@67Hz). Here's a video that shows the settings I used. They are not better or worse than those used by orange808, the only things you want to keep strictly fixed are the vertical active lines (240) and the refresh rate (which as already explained can only be changed via the H.Freq. value).
orange808 wrote:Now, you need to adjust the output refresh rate to match the source. There's no quick and easy way. You'll want to do this for every console.
I think that all the consoles you'd want to downscale (from the DC and PS2 onwards) output at 59.94Hz :)
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Thank you guys so so much! This was a ton to take in and I've finally had time to implement. However the fall from this rabbit hole hurts a bit more than others, but I love the journey and am dreaming of the end goal. So let me tell you where I am so far, and I am praying you might be able to help me further:

orange808: I took your advice and have my Corio2 hooked up via serial-to-USB to the 'CORIOtools Suite' (latest build v1.2.13.25519). Main Menu shows the following options just so we are all on the same page: Configure, Preset, Sources, Resolution, Basic, Multiviewer (unselectable/blacked out), EdgeBlend, Video Wall, SIS and Logo (unselectable/blacked out), Protocol, 3D Tools (unselectable/blacked out), Event manager (unselectable/blacked out), Cloning

Now, I followed your timings to a tee by going to Resolution>Advanced Create&Edit Resolution> and just changed literally the first two factory 'resolutions' to your timings and naming the first resolution '240p 60Hz'; second '240p Xbox360'. There are a total of 123 resolutions stored currently on this Corio.

Now here is the confusing thing. Since '240p 60Hz' is the first resolution I was able to save it as the first 'Preset'. Now, when I navigate on the actual scalers face buttons > With Advanced menus On, I then go to Sub Menu... Adjust Outputs> first screen is 'Not Valid' Lock [Off, Genlock, or Frm.Lock] I keep it [Off] because I do not know what it does. Next screen shows our current named resolution '240p 60Hz' Output res. [1]. When toggling the stored resolutions from this area I am not able to select many many resolutions... When I press the button it skips immediately to preset resolution [40] which is

Code: Select all

1280 x 720 24Hz         	1280	720	18000	4125	750	40	5	260	20	NN
The device prevents me from going back and selecting any resolution 1-39, even our previous [1] '240p 60Hz'... I'm stumped. Out of the 123 total resolutions the device only allows me to select 23 of them. I'm trying to notice trends between these 23 resolutions, like maybe their timings are all similar and not wonky or something, but I am not an A/V guru. I have these 23 resolutions jotted down, and I can share them with anyone if they wanted to take a look and try to solve this mystery with me... Do I just need to somehow factory reset this thing and/or toss a new FW on it?

That is what I am trying to figure out right now. When I force the first resolution, I can see the Xbox360 main menu, but it is a smushed (VGA in > RGB BNC out to monitor) resolution on Corio2 is set to RGsB. I am waiting on adjustments right now because I wanted to keep a default like orange808 suggested:
Spoiler
Xer Xian, you mention 59.94Hz, is that radically different than 59.99/60Hz? If so, I wonder if that is what is causing the Corio to ignore wonky timings? Total shot in the dark, please school me if needed.

Thanks all again for your patience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I am also stumped.

It's possible the machine is preventing you from using some of output resolutions because it's branded as a "down converter".

I'm somewhat surprised it allows anything besides 480i. I assumed it was just a scan converter.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

korpse413 wrote:Now, I followed your timings to a tee by going to Resolution>Advanced Create&Edit Resolution> and just changed literally the first two factory 'resolutions' to your timings and naming the first resolution '240p 60Hz'; second '240p Xbox360'. There are a total of 123 resolutions stored currently on this Corio.
First things first: these units are confusing as shit. Like I own 4 of them (fell onto some good cheap deals) and I can still barely work them...the software is likewise nearly impossible to understand so most of what I've done has been painful trial and error...

So that being said (and maybe, some day, this software will 'click' in my brain and I'll actually be able to use it correctly and wonder what the problem ever was when I first got these...), the very first thing you want to do is a factory firmware reset. This removes any possibility you changed a setting you shouldn't of, and removes any old settings the original owners might have put on it.

After that you do NOT want to change the first two resolutions – on my couple units those are listed as something like NTSC and PAL if my memory serves. I'm hoping when you said "first two factory resolutions" you means the ones which started with numbers like 1024 or 640 (which would technically be the 3rd and 4th down in the list). I'm just mentioning this because for some reason when I changed those first two NTSC/PAL presets it bricked my unit (or at least I couldn't get an image displayed anymore no matter what I did) and I had to reinstall the firmware again to make it work properly.

Anyway, after the reset follow Orange808's directions again (my biggest problem here is unless I put the values in a certain specific order - of which I forget which order half the time, when I change one value it changes another so it takes a LOT longer to get the numbers to be what Orange listed), after you get it though, make sure you write the resolutions to the unit. Once it's plugged into your BVM you want to use arrow keys/joystick on the Corio2's front panel to load the 240p preset you made and it should work (will probably have to change the output type too so it's RGsB or YPbPr or whatnot).

If it doesn't work I would look into some more settings on your Xbox 360 - I'm just not familiar with this (I bought VGA cables for mine but haven't even plugged them in yet).

orange808 wrote:It's possible the machine is preventing you from using some of output resolutions because it's branded as a "down converter".

I'm somewhat surprised it allows anything besides 480i. I assumed it was just a scan converter.
You could very well be onto the reason why it doesn't work. All mine are listed as either a "Video Scaler", "Video Switcher/Scaler", or "Switcher/Scaler".

BUT, his C2-2105's sole purpose is still lowering the resolution from higher to lower, right? I would be curious what some of the 122 presets he has are - if some are right around 640x480 interlaced, I see no reason why it couldn't also do 240p...but who knows with these things. The C2-2XXX series manual won't even break-out which model in the 2000 line has what specific features (you're kinda left to guess, or read between the lines of the spec sheets) so it's not like we can see which unit has what exact limitations easily or anything. TVOne's technical support has been EXCELLENT though - especially for a discontinued unit like these. If you have the correct vocabulary to ask them the right questions (which I certainly do not), I'm sure they could tell you what the limitations (if any) of the 2105 are.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Has anyone tried to deinterlace PS2 with the corio2? Just wondering how well it does perform compared to the framemeister
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Phew, thanks guys for the quick responses. Now that it is a new day, my mind is a bit more clear.
Dochartaigh wrote:After that you do NOT want to change the first two resolutions – on my couple units those are listed as something like NTSC and PAL if my memory serves. I'm hoping when you said "first two factory resolutions" you means the ones which started with numbers like 1024 or 640 (which would technically be the 3rd and 4th down in the list). I'm just mentioning this because for some reason when I changed those first two NTSC/PAL presets it bricked my unit (or at least I couldn't get an image displayed anymore no matter what I did) and I had to reinstall the firmware again to make it work properly.
You are correct - I did change those first two, NTSC 59.94 / and PAL 50Hz... shit... My next plan was just to factory reset the thing as you suggest, but I was put off because the device does not offer one natively in the menus..
Dochartaigh wrote:the very first thing you want to do is a factory firmware reset. This removes any possibility you changed a setting you shouldn't of, and removes any old settings the original owners might have put on it.
When you mention this, is there a specific route I need to follow, or is installing any firmware going to wipe everything away? I agree, Corio/TV One support seems great taken at face value. They continue to host legacy downloads which is always a plus. I've yet to have to contact them myself, but if push comes to shove its great to know thats an option. *EDIT: Found the answer, further proof Corio support seems great. I am wondering if my model can still use a C2-2000A firmware on a non A unit. All 2000 series either non A or A are listed in devices supported.. so I guess I will try the latest firmware when I have the chance

Since it seems like there was some interest, before I attempt to factory this thing I will share those '123' resolutions that may/may not have been created by the previous owner. I figure the easiest way is just to post a public Google Doc Sheet showing them all, and highlighting the ones that the Corio actually 'accepts' the link will be Here. Someone more intelligent than me might be able to follow the trends on why most of these work and others don't.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Just format the unit (install new firmware) and start from there (your link says that firmware is good for the 2105 and 2105A so it's good to go). I'd say 99.9% of those 123 resolutions are the default ones the unit came with from the factory - all mine are just like that. Still have no clue why you can't select most of them though (but as long as you can select the 240p ones that really doesn't matter).
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Bumping this because I got a C2-2100 and can confirm that it does not downscale to 240p, neither by using the CorioTools Suite nor the OSD. The 'Adjust Resolution' sub-menu is still available, but any 'sizeable' adjustment will cause the resolution to disappear on the 'Adjust Output' sub-menu. I have not bothered to determine to what extent you can change the timings and still retain the profile, but it is never enough to achieve 240p (not even when starting from the NTSC or PAL profile).

So yeah, a 'Down Converter' Corio2 unit is unable to output 240p.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Xer Xian wrote:Bumping this because I got a C2-2100 and can confirm that it does not downscale to 240p, neither by using the CorioTools Suite nor the OSD. The 'Adjust Resolution' sub-menu is still available, but any 'sizeable' adjustment will cause the resolution to disappear on the 'Adjust Output' sub-menu. I have not bothered to determine to what extent you can change the timings and still retain the profile, but it is never enough to achieve 240p (not even when starting from the NTSC or PAL profile).

that is strange. I do have the C2-2205 (Still on SW270), which seems to be from the same era, and this one does output 240p.
Still i do have a problem with it. It seems that the HD15 Computer Input is only passthrough and can not be used for scaling which is a big bummer for me.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

svensonson wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:Bumping this because I got a C2-2100 and can confirm that it does not downscale to 240p, neither by using the CorioTools Suite nor the OSD. The 'Adjust Resolution' sub-menu is still available, but any 'sizeable' adjustment will cause the resolution to disappear on the 'Adjust Output' sub-menu. I have not bothered to determine to what extent you can change the timings and still retain the profile, but it is never enough to achieve 240p (not even when starting from the NTSC or PAL profile).

that is strange. I do have the C2-2205 (Still on SW270), which seems to be from the same era, and this one does output 240p.
Still i do have a problem with it. It seems that the HD15 Computer Input is only passthrough and can not be used for scaling which is a big bummer for me.

The 2200 series is different than the 2100 series. The 2200's are listed as "Video Switcher/Scalers", whereas the 2100's are listed as "Down Converters". Even though it's counter-intuitive (as we are downscaling technically), it seems like only the 'scalers' are able to do 240p. Xer Xian is also the second person who couldn't get a 2100 to work for 240p, so if we were to guess I don't think any "down converters" from the ~1000 and 2000 line will do 240p.

I have a couple C2-2200A's which are near identical to your 2205 (think yours just has HD-SDI added) and the VGA input works for mine – I go from RGBS BNC's into the VGA input with a little breakout dongle. Are you using the DVI input only then (which can easily go to VGA or BNC)? Might be a setting which is off on your unit.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Dochartaigh wrote:
svensonson wrote:

The 2200 series is different than the 2100 series. The 2200's are listed as "Video Switcher/Scalers", whereas the 2100's are listed as "Down Converters". Even though it's counter-intuitive (as we are downscaling technically), it seems like only the 'scalers' are able to do 240p. Xer Xian is also the second person who couldn't get a 2100 to work for 240p, so if we were to guess I don't think any "down converters" from the ~1000 and 2000 line will do 240p.

I have a couple C2-2200A's which are near identical to your 2205 (think yours just has HD-SDI added) and the VGA input works for mine – I go from RGBS BNC's into the VGA input with a little breakout dongle. Are you using the DVI input only then (which can easily go to VGA or BNC)? Might be a setting which is off on your unit.
This is the part in the manuel that I found that let me think the "video scalers"-machines do just have a loop input.
"
Computer & Video inputs
PC/HD inputs can accept:
Analog RGBHV
RGsB (sync on
green)
RGBS (separate sync at TTL levels)
YUV/YPbPr (including tri
-level)
In most cases, the particular input being used will be auto
-detected. See ‘Adjust
sources’ for more information on manually selecting an input type. On some units
such as Video Scalers, the RGB input is there just to loop the PC image through to
the PC monitor in ‘bypass’ mode"

I have tried both RGBs (console>sync strike>Corio2 VGA Input) and RGBHV (Xbox360 VGA cable>corio2 VGA input). no luck with both so far.
Unfortunatelly I can`t use the DVI Input. Its a DVI-I socket but only accepts DVI-D (digital signal) only. The only Input I was able to test so far is the component one with both PS2 and Xbox360.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I'm pretty sure that quote only applies to when the unit is in standby. If you think about it, having an input that just loops through to the output makes no sense. Did you try setting the input to RGB under the Source sub-menu?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Xer Xian wrote:I'm pretty sure that quote only applies to when the unit is in standby. If you think about it, having an input that just loops through to the output makes no sense. Did you try setting the input to RGB under the Source sub-menu?
I can change the RGB Input into Auto, D-RGB, A-RGB, D-YUV and A-Yuv (whatever this all means) while other Corio2 machines can clearly be set to Auto, RGBHV,RGBS, RGSB etc.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Yeah but that's not the setting you want to change (leave it to Auto and it will auto-sense if the signal is analog or digital RGB/YUV - actually shouldn't such a setting only make sense when the connector is DVI-I ? Maybe it will unlock different Source settings basing on that? Not important anyway). You need to change the Input Source setting or whatever it's called. I think it's the first one to show up under the Source sub-menu. Maybe check under the Window sub-menu too (Corio2 menu system is unintuitive).
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Yes, the source is set to RGB1 and set to Auto. I can also adjust the source audio,noise reduction,de-interlace type etc. within this sub menu.
But maybe the RGB1 refers to the component Input when using RGsB.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

When you go under the Window sub-menu while feeding the RGB source to the unit (and the Source type is set to RGB 1), what's the first line displayed on the front LCD? Do you read the source resolution (such as 640x480 60Hz) or 'Not valid'?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I'm having trouble getting my 1T-C2-400 set up. It keeps failing when I try to access it via the configuration software and it also fails after I try flashing the firmware. I have it hooked up via a USB to Serial adapter and it seems to read the device. It "resets" and asks to power off the scaler. I tried both holding down the standby button and actually unplugging it, but every time the same thing happens: I power off, hit "ok" and power back on, but then get a "Unit did not reply with S id" error:

Config Software Fail: https://i.imgur.com/8hv0T1A.jpg
Reset Sucessful: https://i.imgur.com/Iwzd3B5.jpg
Firmware Fail: https://i.imgur.com/WvRK2uq.jpg

Has anyone else run into this?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

retrorgb wrote:I'm having trouble getting my 1T-C2-400 set up. It keeps failing when I try to access it via the configuration software and it also fails after I try flashing the firmware. I have it hooked up via a USB to Serial adapter and it seems to read the device. It "resets" and asks to power off the scaler. I tried both holding down the standby button and actually unplugging it, but every time the same thing happens: I power off, hit "ok" and power back on, but then get a "Unit did not reply with S id" error:

I had to factory reset my device before I was able to perform the firmware update. not sure what has changed but it worked straight away using same settings like before resetting the corio2
orange808

Post by orange808 »

retrorgb wrote:I'm having trouble getting my 1T-C2-400 set up. It keeps failing when I try to access it via the configuration software and it also fails after I try flashing the firmware. I have it hooked up via a USB to Serial adapter and it seems to read the device. It "resets" and asks to power off the scaler. I tried both holding down the standby button and actually unplugging it, but every time the same thing happens: I power off, hit "ok" and power back on, but then get a "Unit did not reply with S id" error:

I've had two of those units and they both worked right out of the box with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The only possiblity I can think of is to temporarily disable your firewall.

Do you get anything when you plug the device into a display?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

retrorgb wrote:I'm having trouble getting my 1T-C2-400 set up. It keeps failing when I try to access it via the configuration software and it also fails after I try flashing the firmware.
I've flashed several C2-400's (several times each). I would re-download the software/firmware just in case. Also try another programmer cable (I assume you're using serial to USB). This cable is very nice (and the screws are the correct ones to screw into the C2's:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A ... UTF8&psc=1

Other than that, was the C2-400 new(old stock) when you bought it, or used? Could just be messed-up/broke to be honest. Think these are going on what? 8 years old at this point? My 2000 series have some crazy hour counts (like 65k I think).
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

You are describing almost verbatim what I have been dealing with since my last post. I actually reached out to Corio support about it, and they replyed within 24hours. As someone mentioned above they have fantastic customer support, even with EOL devices such as these.

I am at work at the moment and am limited to mobile but here is the response I received: https://imgur.com/77Uf1Ku

When I return home later on I can try and find the questions I asked them. For whatever reason the ticket eliminated my portion.. basically, I was having your same issues when attempting a firmware 'update'. The FW upgrade software like you mention prompts for a power cycle, only to fail saying it cant find cert or similar. I was under the impression that my failures were because my Corio was already at latest FW, but as you can see tech support busted that hunch, and that downgrading is possible.

I triple checked that the correct COM port my usb to serial adapter was selected, and even manually tried different COM ports. I have yet to attempt the techs suggestions, if I get time tonight ill let everyone know.

Fyi - I am able to use the software, just having trouble with FW
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Dochartaigh wrote:Think these are going on what? 8 years old at this point? My 2000 series have some crazy hour counts (like 65k I think).
I think I've read that firmware updates can mess up the hour count on Corio2 units. Happened to me once.

One thing I've not seen anyone suggest yet - don't run the Coriotools suite and the FW update software at the same time. One can get in the way of the other.

Yet another thing is - you don't really need the Coriotool software for downscaling. You can set a 240p profile manually by using the the OSD or front LCD panel. Only thing you'd miss is the ability to give a new label to the profile.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

It appears that my serial to USB device was the problem with the firmware update. I borrowed one from a friend and it worked fine, so I'll buy the one linked here.

I couldn't get it to work with the Dreamcast though! I'll try again tomorrow with 640x480 out of my laptop and see what happens. Has anyone here tried using the Dreamcast?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

retrorgb wrote:I couldn't get it to work with the Dreamcast though! I'll try again tomorrow with 640x480 out of my laptop and see what happens. Has anyone here tried using the Dreamcast?
Dreamcast via Toro works fine for me - that's been my main test system I've been running. Are you not getting a picture or is the picture messed up in some way? Xbox works great as well, and I think I tried Wii (for GameCube 480p games) too.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
retrorgb wrote:I couldn't get it to work with the Dreamcast though! I'll try again tomorrow with 640x480 out of my laptop and see what happens. Has anyone here tried using the Dreamcast?
Dreamcast via Toro works fine for me - that's been my main test system I've been running. Are you not getting a picture or is the picture messed up in some way? Xbox works great as well, and I think I tried Wii (for GameCube 480p games) too.
Please share timings :)

I am still having issues with my firmware update, This is what I see now and back before I contacted tvOne support: https://imgur.com/Fof3eaZ

I'm guessing its this clone usb-to-serial cable I'm using considering it needs a weird driver. COM port and baud rate match in both Device Manager and what the Corio is set at. I have a Startech serial cable at work I'll snag it tmrw and give that one a whirl.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Yes.

Official Dega Dreamcast VGA box -> C2-1T-400 -> Sony Trinitron Consumer TV 240p

I can't reproduce the issue. 480p -> 240p comes out fine. Dreamcast works great wired directly. Also works great chained through the OSSC (DTV and VESA) with HDFury Nano.

Do you have some Behar Bros stuff in your chain? That could be it. (Garo does have design flaws. Other products could also have hidden issues.)

Here's the Dreamcast wired directly through the C2:
The celly pics aren't great, but you get the idea.
Spoiler
Image[/url]
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

korpse413 wrote:I am still having issues with my firmware update, This is what I see now and back before I contacted tvOne support: https://imgur.com/Fof3eaZ
A different serial to USB cable fixed the issue for me. A new one should be arriving tomorrow and I'll confirm that's working.

I'll try everything again tomorrow when the cable arrives, including Dreamcast stuff. The chain was: DC > Toro > Extron Crosspoint > TVOne. Maybe the Crosspoint was messing it up? I tried the Toro in RGBs and RGBHV mode. Overall, using my laptop's VGA output in 640x480 might be an easier way to test anyway.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Xer Xian wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Think these are going on what? 8 years old at this point? My 2000 series have some crazy hour counts (like 65k I think).
I think I've read that firmware updates can mess up the hour count on Corio2 units. Happened to me once.
I don't even know which ones of mine keep track of hours to be honest. Know my 2200's and 6104A does (or pretty sure at least). Maybe the 1250's and 400's do too I'll have to double check if they changed - I don't think they do though because the very FIRST thing I do when I get one is to format it to factory - like before I even plug it in to a monitor for the first time, so when I checked hours it was AFTER a format.

korpse413 wrote:Please share timings :)
My timings are totally stock from Orange808's numbers. Orange808 says to adjust the "H.frq.fine" on a per-console basis...but whenever I mess with that I see no difference when I click it either/or direction quite a few clicks (and I'm sitting like ~18" away from a 900 TVL BVM when I mess with this so I would hope I would see some change). Think if I go too far the picture gets garbled so I just leave this and it's been looking beautiful.

Xer Xian can chime in as well - I think he doesn't really mess with these fine-tunings either if my memory serves.

The only 'timings'-type thing I do want to mess with some more is the scale/centering of the image. I need my image less tall (V SIZE) and don't feel like adjusting my monitor for this (which is what you would normally do - but I use these monitors for other/regular 240p shstems too where it's at a pretty good sweet-spot so I hope I can figure out how to do this though a menu on the TVOne Corio2, then save that preset on a per-console basis for easy retrieval.

Speaking of the timings, those 240p numbers from Orange808 are really close to the "HDMI Timings" I use for my RetroPie setups on a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm hoping that if I can't find the settings to change H/V Size/Centering on the Corio2 on-screen menu's that i can tweak these numbers in the resolution and shift it a little bit...but I haven't had time to jump into this lately.

retrorgb wrote:I'll try everything again tomorrow when the cable arrives, including Dreamcast stuff. The chain was: DC > Toro > Extron Crosspoint > TVOne. Maybe the Crosspoint was messing it up? I tried the Toro in RGBs and RGBHV mode. Overall, using my laptop's VGA output in 640x480 might be an easier way to test anyway.
Unless I missed it you still haven't told us how it's messed-up - that's kinda important for us to help diagnose what the problem might be, don't you think? Did you get no picture at all or what? And which profile did you edit to change it to the 240p values? (you can't touch the first two NTSC and PAL resolutions or it'll brick the unit I've found).

For the Crosspoint, that's definitely not a problem in my experience. I have 3x TVOne's hooked up to an Extron Crosspoint 3232, chain is: Dreamcast > Toro > Crosspoint > Extron RGB 203 Rxi > (back into) Crosspoint > BVM-20F1U or PVM-3230 (or loop it back into the Crosspoint again to convert to YPbPr for a consumer Wega/FV310 or whatever other monitor/TV I happen to be messing around with at the time). I only use the Extron RGB to get rid of the slight skew on the top of the image some BVM's and the like can get on Dreamcast (plus my Toro doesn't like to output RGBS cleanly so having the Extron RGB doing that H/V merge is better for me).