Sony PVM 2043-MD -- manual / service menu?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
djsheep

Sony PVM 2043-MD -- manual / service menu?

Post by djsheep »

Hey there, I acquired this monitor recently and was wondering if anyone has a PDF of the manual?

Tried google and the regular places but turned up nothing. Trying to get into the menu if there is one (there's no Menu button, so the "regular" method won't work). Wanted to know how many hours this unit has on it basically and any other relevant stuff.

Cheers.
Dochartaigh

Re: Sony PVM 2043-MD -- manual / service menu?

Post by Dochartaigh »

djsheep wrote:Hey there, I acquired this monitor recently and was wondering if anyone has a PDF of the manual?

Tried google and the regular places but turned up nothing. Trying to get into the menu if there is one (there's no Menu button, so the "regular" method won't work). Wanted to know how many hours this unit has on it basically and any other relevant stuff.

Cheers.

The 14" manual for the 1343MD is up on the CRT Wiki here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/wiki/speclist

It'll give you the basics in operation which should be identical to your 20" version, but the schematics for the inside of it can/will be a little different. Your monitor has no "menu" button so of course there's no on-screen menu like the later/newer PVM models. Simple adjustments for things like geometry (making the screen taller, wider, up/down/left/right) are all done via pots you have to open up the case of the monitor in order to access.

PVM's don't log hours, only BVM's do (and even if yours did there's no on-screen menu to give you a number).
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Legend, thanks for that... exactly what I wanted to know / needed.

Also, my last PVM (not BVM) actually did show how many hours was used, I am unsure the model number though!

Cheers.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

djsheep wrote:Also, my last PVM (not BVM) actually did show how many hours was used, I am unsure the model number though
If by "PVM", you mean a Sony PVM, I'm unaware of any of those which keeps hour logs (and I've owned about 25 different PVM models - not counting the MD variants). If you mean a professional monitor by another company like JVC, Panasonic, Ikegami, etc, yes some of those keep track of the hours, and others will even have an hour count in the service menu which you can change at will to whatever you want and doesn't actually count up weirdly enough ;)
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Does anybody here have the service manual for this unit? The 1343MD manual is not completely useless, but there seem to be quite some differences to the rather complex web of like a dozen circuit boards inside the 2043 and a proper manual would be real helpful.

Seems like there's one for purchase here:
https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/s ... anual.html
I'd rather not give money to some shady website for a manual they don't even own, though :/
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Retro Tech has a full video series about tearing down, re-capping and geometry adjusting this monitor:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ech+1943md