Tvone Corio2 Scalers/Switchers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xodaraP

Tvone Corio2 Scalers/Switchers

Post by xodaraP »

Hi guys,
I've recently had the opportunity to pick up a pair of Tvone products, an RGB scaler and a seamless switcher. Has anyone had any experience with these or the brand in general? The RGB scaler has a fault condition and won't boot, but I'm hoping this will be an easy fix, if not the switcher will still have a good home and is working well.

Very interested to know if these are any good for gaming on and if anyone has any experience repairing them.
Xer Xian

Re: Tvone Corio2 Scalers/Switchers

Post by Xer Xian »

Corio2 scalers are great but the user interface is a pain to deal with.

They are also an absolute pain to open up, I couldn't figure out how to do it with mine and had to pry it open with brute force (the case now looks abused). Then simply re-flashing the firmware brought mine back to life, so you might want to try that first.
xodaraP

Post by xodaraP »

Good to know. I did see there's a firmware flash option but wasn't sure if it would accept it while under a fault condition. The error is giving is 256 (CPLD not started) so I thought a firmware flash might help or possibly there's a loose solder joint. There's very little information around on three though.

Also good to know opening it is a fight, I won't feel bad if I damage the case :P
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

xodaraP wrote:Good to know. I did see there's a firmware flash option but wasn't sure if it would accept it while under a fault condition. The error is giving is 256 (CPLD not started) so I thought a firmware flash might help or possibly there's a loose solder joint.
I can't say any of this rings a bell to me, what RGB scaler is it that you have exactly?

In any case it may be worth getting in touch with TvOne's support, I found they are very responsive and helpful.
xodaraP

Post by xodaraP »

It's a C2-4000 series, looking at the manual it seems to be a C2-4100 specifically

I might try emailing their support but I'd guess it's something they'll say it has to be looked at by one of their service people - I'll try flashing the firmware and see if that does anything for me and go from there

Like most of this kind of equipment it's been used and abused its entire life so hopefully it's something simple :)
xodaraP

Post by xodaraP »

Had a better look at this tonight - it starts up then after about 5 seconds starts screaming and throws a fault condition, then after about another 5 seconds goes into a standby/low power state but still shows the model number on the screen without the backlight. It doesn't shut off or anything, just stays in the low power state screaming.

I was going to try and flash firmware, but my USB-RS232 adapter ends in a male plug and there is a male socket on the device (the switcher I got at the same time has a female socket, love the consistency :P) so I will need to get a gender bender to see if I can reflash firmware.

There's an ISP port but without knowing the pinout it makes it difficult to make an adapter and flash the CPLD directly - but this may be what needs to happen.

I will also try emailing the company to see if they can help.