Classic Xbox on Lcd

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Revolver Ocelot

Classic Xbox on Lcd

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

I want to reactivate my classic Xbox again and use it on on my modern TV.

I am looking now for good ways to hook it up to the TV either directly or with the Framemeister.

As far as I know there are some ways to do this. I could either get a classic RGB Scart cable. In conjuniction with the Framemeister, this should be a decent solution. I could also try to get a Component cable which would be a bit more expension solution. I could also try to get a HDMI cord, but as far as I know this cord would not work with the pal xbox in it's original condition.

Which of the above mentioned Solutions would you guys recommend for the best possible Picture?
Kez

Re: Classic Xbox on Lcd

Post by Kez »

Assuming you will be using 480p, your best bet is just connecting via component to your TV. Even if you go through the FM you'll want to use component.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Component. Make sure to get a decent one, there are significant differences between say a Monster and a 5$ no-name cable. The HDMI cables are just component with a component->HDMI converter. Your FM will do a much better job. Since you mention PAL, you need to do a softmod. A PAL xbox will only do 576i, while the NTSC BIOS will do 480p on virtually every game and even 720p/1080i on some. Your PAL hardware and games are perfectly capable of playing in 480p, it's just disabled in the stock PAL BIOS.
Revolver Ocelot

Ok thans for teh advice. I will go with a good component cable then.

ASDR Yeah I have already heard that the higher resolutions are deactived in the pal xbox. I will do the softmod for sure to achieve higher resolutions.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Forgot to recommend one of those:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Neu-Optisch-Tos ... 1251526206

Some component cables only output stereo or you need proprietary breakout cable that might not be included when you buy one on eBay. These dirt cheap adapters ensure you can still get digital / 5.1 from the xbox.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Kez wrote:Assuming you will be using 480p, your best bet is just connecting via component to your TV.
Not only is it his best bet, it's his only option; the Xbox will refuse to output 480p over anything else unless the system is hard-modded for something like VGA, and, even then, I've read that VGA mods tend to be flaky.
ASDR wrote:Forgot to recommend one of those:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Neu-Optisch-Tos ... 1251526206

Some component cables only output stereo or you need proprietary breakout cable that might not be included when you buy one on eBay. These dirt cheap adapters ensure you can still get digital / 5.1 from the xbox.
Those look really neat! Unfortunately, that seller doesn't appear to ship outside the EU.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

nmalinoski wrote: Those look really neat! Unfortunately, that seller doesn't appear to ship outside the EU.
Got those recommended on the xbox reddit, was suprised myself but they work 100%. I assume you can probably find those on AliExpress for 1$ including shipping to the US if you search a bit.
Revolver Ocelot

ASDR Thanks a lot. That is really nice recommendation.

Concering the cable itself would you recommend the cables from monster or are the Original MS component cables a better choice?

The Monster cables are quite expensive but I do not mind. It is never good to be stingy with cables.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Concering the cable itself would you recommend the cables from monster or are the Original MS component cables a better choice?

The Monster cables are quite expensive but I do not mind. It is never good to be stingy with cables.
They both have the same capability, so it's really just up to your personal preference and budget, whether you would prefer a single cable (the Monster cable) or a breakout box (Microsoft's solution), and which you'd rather spend money on. Either will get you digital audio via TOSLINK if that matters to you.

I went with the official breakout box; got it at a relatively decent price (compared to other eBay listings) with the original RCA cables, and I've been very satisfied with it. Just don't buy any that appear to have corrosion on the metal connectors (though that should go without saying).