Sony PVM-2950 S-Video Out Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
chromium

Sony PVM-2950 S-Video Out Issue

Post by chromium »

Hi,

I'm using my C64 with S-Video on this monitor, it looks amazing.

I am trying to use the S-Video out to connect to my Framemeister so I don't have to keep swapping cables when I switch between the two.

When I plug an S-Video cable into the output on the PVM the picture on the PVM goes really bright. When I connect to other end to the Framemeister the picture on the PVM goes darker again, but doesn't quite look as good as it does with no cable connected to the output.

Is this expected behaviour?

Cheers.
Kez

Re: Sony PVM-2950 S-Video Out Issue

Post by Kez »

This is because your PVM has auto 75-ohm termination. When you connect a cable to the output, it disables the termination (as its name implies, termination happens at the end of the run). The FM is also 75-ohm terminated which is why the picture goes darker again once the cable is hooked up.

Not sure why it would look worse this way though, do you mean it is darker or lighter than without the daisy chain, or something else? You could try using different cables, or shorter cables if possible to see if that makes any difference.
chromium

Re: Sony PVM-2950 S-Video Out Issue

Post by chromium »

Kez wrote:This is because your PVM has auto 75-ohm termination. When you connect a cable to the output, it disables the termination (as its name implies, termination happens at the end of the run). The FM is also 75-ohm terminated which is why the picture goes darker again once the cable is hooked up.

Not sure why it would look worse this way though, do you mean it is darker or lighter than without the daisy chain, or something else? You could try using different cables, or shorter cables if possible to see if that makes any difference.
Ah thanks. I thought it must be something to do with termination.

I was using a really long cable, it's all I had. I got a shorter one and now I can't tell the difference when it's plugged in or not. Happy days :)