Purchased a Master System, shows no picture or audio

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Royal

Purchased a Master System, shows no picture or audio

Post by Royal »

I recently bought a Master System on ebay with 2 games, one controller, and phaser. It was one of the better deals on ebay, but I should've been more skeptical.

It came with a chinese power supply and an "av cable" that I couldn't use with the master system because it had a 3.5mm jack on one end and the composite/stereo rca cords on the other.

So I used a spare Genesis model 1 av cable I still had, plugged everything in, and tried to test Alex Kidd. It turns on, but it shows a full black screen with some interference. I couldn't even get audio.

If anyone can recommend any repair services for my Master system, I will highly appreciate it.
cr4zymanz0r

Re: Purchased a Master System, shows no picture or audio

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

Is the Genesis 1 AV cable you're using tested and working with a Genesis? I bought a cable being advertised as a SMS AV cable once, but for some reason the audio and video plugs were swapped. I had to plug in white for video and yellow for audio.

Also, I believe every SMS will turn on and display something without a game inserted. Some have built in games, and some just show a screen with something like "please turn off the power and insert a game cartridge". That could help you rule out if it's a dirty cart or cart slot.
Royal

Post by Royal »

After doing a little research, the power supply shipped with everything might be the main culprit.

Below is a picture of the OEM Sega Master System Model 1 power supply:
http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/How_wh ... SUpply.jpg

Now, here is a picture of a power supply that is nearly the exact same as the one shipped to me:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

Mine is made in china, produced Jan-Mar 2002, and has an output of 12V AC 600mA rather than the 500mA shown.

The OEM converts the 120V AC power into 9V DC power, but the power supply I have continues to output AC.

I'm hoping my console is permanently fried...
Royal

Post by Royal »

So I just had the idea of plugging the power supply I'm already using for my Genesis into the Master System...and it works! The Master System boots, the Genesis av cable works, and the game cartridges and the built in games work as well. The only thing that doesn't work is the light gun. Other than that, everything's resolved.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Your using an LCD?
Royal

Post by Royal »

Syntax wrote:Your using an LCD?
Nope, a 36 inch CRT. My NES zapper works fairly well on it (the last time I checked), so I know the gun is defective.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

newer 3rd party power supplys are junk for old systems. they cause video interference and sometimes they dont work at all. I always use an original power supply, that has had its capacitor inside replaced, and my consoles work great.