Wii on a crt monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
karmeck

Wii on a crt monitor

Post by karmeck »

Gash darn it. My Dell ultrascan p991 only has vga in. That can be solved with female<->female but how to get the wii to output to vga?

I read a few old threads on wii to vga. But I feel I should ask here.

Oh, maybe wii hdmi and then hdmi to vga like I do now with my raspberry pi.
nmalinoski

Re: Wii on a crt monitor

Post by nmalinoski »

karmeck wrote:My Dell ultrascan p991 only has vga out.
Wait, those things have a VGA loop-out? I thought it only had inputs.
karmeck wrote:...how to get the wii to output to vga?
Without modding, you can't do it directly; you'd need some kind of video processor that can take the output from the Wii, do format conversion and/or scaling, and be able to output RGBHV. There are quite a few ways you can do this.

If you have an NTSC Wii or care about progressive-scan gaming (480p), you can probably use one of those TVOne CORIO2 scalers to convert the YPbPr component video to RGBHV and perform line-doubling (assuming the P991 doesn't support 15kHz video) and then use a 5xBNC to VGA adapter to connect to your CRT.

If you have a PAL Wii, you can use RGB, but only for SD (so no 480p/576p), so you'll definitely need a line-doubler (again, assuming the P991 doesn't do 15kHz), and then an RGB interface (like the ones made by Extron, and a SCART to 4xBNC adapter) to convert the RGBS signal to RGBHV.

If, by chance, you already have an OSSC lying around, you can use that to take either YPbPr or RGBS from your Wii, adjust it however you like (line-double, passthrough, bob deinterlace, whatever), and then use one of those cheap HDMI to VGA converters to connect the OSSC to your monitor.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

There are some pretty cheap component to VGA converters out there. I got this Mayflash one after someone on here recommended it (was it bobrocks? or Gunstar? one of the two) and it performs pretty good to my eyes (note that I haven't performed rigourous tests on it! so take what I say with a grain of salt). I'm also not sure if it passes through 240p. I've only tested mine with psp

There's also the Garo from BeharBros, but it's out of stock at the moment
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

The reply that I got from the Bross was that the Goro will be back in stock in a couple of months.. I got a components to VGA box recommended by the members here which works ok but it has a huge issue, the picture bends on the edges off all four corners,,.. you can adjust this on your monitor if your monitor has those settings but it will mess up the monitor settings for normal console used. I confirmed with a member that the Garo does not do that. My recommendation is to wait for the Garo.
The Future Is Now
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

I used a Mayflash VGA cable a few years back and recall it working without major issues on my Sony GDM-500. I'm sure someone else can chime in in case it's not ideal. It used to be only $15 but it looks like the prices are a bit higher now.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Wii-PS3 ... B0015MISAG
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If we're being absolute perfectionists for both image quality and processing delay, I don't know of an ultimate solution.

There's some video processors that can do it, but the best of the 4:4:4 machines still add just over a frame of lag.

The OSSC handles component to RGB over HDMI very well, but we haven't found a perfect DAC to get analog RGB from HDMI.

Garo has some issues. Will the new batch be a new design?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61472&p=1302213&hilit=Garo#p1302213

I haven't had good experiences with the Extron CVC units, but other people seem to like them.

I have a Garo and it looks okay for RGBHV, but I prefer using the OSSC and an HDFury Nano for Wii on PC CRT's.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

FinalBaton wrote:There are some pretty cheap component to VGA converters out there. I got this Mayflash one after someone on here recommended it (was it bobrocks? or Gunstar? one of the two) and it performs pretty good to my eyes (note that I haven't performed rigourous tests on it! so take what I say with a grain of salt). I'm also not sure if it passes through 240p. I've only tested mine with psp

There's also the Garo from BeharBros, but it's out of stock at the moment
The Mayflash (box design) has problems holding sync with the Wii and shows the occasional purple/magenta colour band iirc. Strangely enough, it's fine (from my rather limited testing) with the X-box, I couldn't get it to de-sync on bright white screens. I've also tested with the ps2 as well but my poor memory can't recall if it had issues. More info here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59613

Interesting that the Mayflash (cable design) works great for some people, you can see all those happy reviews from Wii owners on the amazon page, could it be a different Wii models? or maybe it doesn't play nice with PAL?

I agree with the others in that the Garo and OSSC are the best options.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^
Ha! didn't know it gave the purple tint with the Wii. OP, forget about the mayflash adapter.

But doesn't the Garo give purple tint with the Wii also?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

FinalBaton wrote:^^^^^^^
Ha! didn't know it gave the purple tint with the Wii. OP, forget about the mayflash adapter.

Yeah, the Mayflash seems only worth it if your requirements are X-box and, thanks to you testing it on a PSP, PSP. I'm sure something can be done to sort out the Sync but I'm not smart enough to figure that out. Is it even available anymore? I checked a few weeks ago and there were none on eBay.

I saw the purple issue pop up when I had the Garo hooked up through an Extron 203 otherwise direct (Console>Garo>CRT) it was fine. I believe Bucko had the problem come up when he had the Framemeister in the chain alongside the Garo.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FinalBaton wrote:^^^^^^^

AFAIK, the purple tint issue is exclusive to the Garo RGBS SCART output.

On the Garo, the Wii doesn't lose sync or have issues with the Wii's all white screens over RGBHV. The slight blooming artifact is present on both RGBS and RGBHV, however.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

orange808 wrote:If we're being absolute perfectionists for both image quality and processing delay, I don't know of an ultimate solution.

There's some video processors that can do it, but the best of the 4:4:4 machines still add just over a frame of lag.

The OSSC handles component to RGB over HDMI very well, but we haven't found a perfect DAC to get analog RGB from HDMI.

Garo has some issues. Will the new batch be a new design?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61472&p=1302213&hilit=Garo#p1302213

I haven't had good experiences with the Extron CVC units, but other people seem to like them.

I have a Garo and it looks okay for RGBHV, but I prefer using the OSSC and an HDFury Nano for Wii on PC CRT's.
I second using the OSSC to DAC option. I use a Tendak for DAC and am still searching for more DAC options.

There are few games on the Wii like Contra Rebirth and Castlevania Rebirth that look amazing with 480P scanlines enabled on a CRT display. And the OSSC does a great job.

Its expensive though
Copyright 1987
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

What about a GBS?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

karmeck wrote:Gash darn it. My Dell ultrascan p991 only has vga in. That can be solved with female<->female but how to get the wii to output to vga?
I currently have a Wii hooked up to a Dell P992 CRT with a Audio Authority 9A65 YPbPr>RGB converter. I also have an RTC 2200. Both of these converters are completely analog, so they have zero input lag.

There's quite a bit of questionable advice in this thread. All you need is a simple colorspace converter like what I mentioned above
nmalinoski wrote: ...to convert the RGBS signal to RGBHV...
Sony monitors (Dell P991 is a Trinitron) accept composite sync and sync on green, so you don't need any modifications there.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Thanks for the info on the Goro, I was not aware of those issues.

The 9A65 is what I have as well.. on my NEC 29 plus, I get bending as it reaches each corner of the monitor..
The Future Is Now
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

Huge chunk of information as always :D

For now I'm trying the wii hdmi adapter. I shall return when I have tested this.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

BazookaBen wrote:
karmeck wrote:Gash darn it. My Dell ultrascan p991 only has vga in. That can be solved with female<->female but how to get the wii to output to vga?
I currently have a Wii hooked up to a Dell P992 CRT with a Audio Authority 9A65 YPbPr>RGB converter. I also have an RTC 2200. Both of these converters are completely analog, so they have zero input lag.

There's quite a bit of questionable advice in this thread. All you need is a simple colorspace converter like what I mentioned above
nmalinoski wrote: ...to convert the RGBS signal to RGBHV...
Sony monitors (Dell P991 is a Trinitron) accept composite sync and sync on green, so you don't need any modifications there.
Appreciated, however, as usual the equipment suggested are in the 150$+ range. Explain this to the me, why are the above mentioned devices better than this https://m.banggood.com/3-RCA-RGB-Video- ... 88265.html

???

It's just analog, other then fancy wireing I can't understand or justify the 140$ price difference.

Enlighten me.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

If your Dell ultrascan p991 doesn't do sync on Green that passive adapter you linked won't work, at all.

YpBpR is rarely interchangeable with RGBHV, some multisync PVMs is the only example I can think. First has the sync on the green signal, second has separate horizontal and vertical sync. And then you still need to convert the colour space to RGB...

EDIT: As the tube is a Trinitron, sync on green should work
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

karmeck wrote: Appreciated, however, as usual the equipment suggested are in the 150$+ range. Explain this to the me, why are the above mentioned devices better than this https://m.banggood.com/3-RCA-RGB-Video- ... 88265.html

???

It's just analog, other then fancy wireing I can't understand or justify the 140$ price difference.

Enlighten me.
You need to understand the difference between passive and active adapters.

You linked a passive adapter. It doesn't do any signal conversion, it just changes the plug type, sort of like those Y-cables you use to hook up your phone to a stereo.

What I linked is an active adapter. It coverts the signal from YPbPr (aka component) to RGB (which is what your monitor needs).

There are other brands of active YPbPr>RGB (also called component>vga) converters out there, but you'd have to do a little research because I never looked into them after I found the audio authority. I think Startech might make one, but you need to check reviews first to make sure they're decent quality

Here are two of the AA's avaiable in north america right now:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=a ... 9&_sacat=0

both are taking best offers. So you might get that one for $40 knocked down quite a bit. The guy other who wants $110 might be to stubborn to go a lot lower. I only paid $20 or $30 years ago for mine
werk91 wrote:If your Dell ultrascan p991 doesn't do sync on Green that passive adapter you linked won't work, at all.

But the Wii outputs YPbPr, not RGsB. Unless there's a homebrew program that makes Wii output RGB at 480p and with sync on green, that adapter won't work
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

BazookaBen wrote:
karmeck wrote: Appreciated, however, as usual the equipment suggested are in the 150$+ range. Explain this to the me, why are the above mentioned devices better than this https://m.banggood.com/3-RCA-RGB-Video- ... 88265.html

???

Enlighten me.
You need to understand the difference between passive and active adapters.

You linked a passive adapter. It doesn't do any signal conversion, it just changes the plug type, sort of like those Y-cables you use to hook up your phone to a stereo.

What I linked is an active adapter. It coverts the signal from YPbPr (aka component) to RGB (which is what your monitor needs).

There are other brands of active YPbPr>RGB (also called component>vga) converters out there, but you'd have to do a little research because I never looked into them after I found the audio authority. I think Startech might make one, but you need to check reviews first to make sure they're decent quality

Here are two of the AA's avaiable in north america right now:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=a ... 9&_sacat=0

both are taking best offers. So you might get that one for $40 knocked down quite a bit. The guy other who wants $110 might be to stubborn to go a lot lower. I only paid $20 or $30 years ago for mine
werk91 wrote:If your Dell ultrascan p991 doesn't do sync on Green that passive adapter you linked won't work, at all.

But the Wii outputs YPbPr, not RGsB. Unless there's a homebrew program that makes Wii output RGB at 480p and with sync on green, that adapter won't work
Offer made, thank you for all the knowledge shared.

I ordered several passive alternatives, I let you guys know if any of them works out. But if they do, remember I'm the guy who is fine with the passive hdmi2vga adapter for 5$ for ny raspberry pi.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Color space describes the format that the display uses to decode the input video signal and display the picture.

If the display expects the message in one "language" (RGB), it will struggle to properly read a message that is written in another language (component). The color space has to be translated--and that will require an active translator to perform the task.

So, you can change the wiring all day long. It won't matter.

If I can't speak Chinese, changing the way you deliver a Chinese message to me won't help me read the message any better. You can snail mail it, email it, or send me a telegram: it's still Chinese and I can't read it. It has to be translated.

That's why it costs more than $5.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

karmeck wrote:remember I'm the guy who is fine with the passive hdmi2vga adapter for 5$ for ny raspberry pi.
If it requires power, it's not passive. Turning HDMI into VGA requires you to take a digital signal and make it analog. That is very much an active process.

And that's why you don't want to bother with WiiHDMI. It turns analog into digital. But you're trying to go to an analog display (P991). So why turn analog to digital, only to turn it back to analog? That's why I recommend the YPbPr>RGB transcoders, they keep it in the analog domain, and do it in real time so there's no lag.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

The wii hdmi + my hdmi2vga worked fine
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

karmeck wrote:The wii hdmi + my hdmi2vga worked fine
It "works" but this is a silly solution as BazookaBen has already described.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

karmeck wrote:The wii hdmi + my hdmi2vga worked fine
So you went analog to digital, then digital back to analog. And who knows one of those two devices unknowingly compressed things into 16-235 RGB
werk91

Post by werk91 »

The Wii2HDMI dongle I have has a really shoddy output, pretty sure it's just composite video quality...
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

On my 19 inch monitor it looks fine.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

so...yeah. tested thees two, that I for some reason bough, even though they are the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Component-RGB- ... 1136745094

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-To-RCA-Ada ... 2533518819

and, we have picture. But it is all green-ish. Same issue on both, also pulling the red and blue connector dose nothing.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

karmeck wrote:and, we have picture. But it is all green-ish. Same issue on both, also pulling the red and blue connector dose nothing.
Generally this is what happens when you feed YPbPr into a device expecting RGsB.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

karmeck wrote:so...yeah. tested thees two, that I for some reason bough, even though they are the same.

and, we have picture. But it is all green-ish. Same issue on both, also pulling the red and blue connector dose nothing.
You understand why those don't work... right? I tried to explain it to you earlier in the thread