Recommendations for a VGA matrix switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Recommendations for a VGA matrix switch

Post by Syntax »

I'm in the market for a VGA matrix to use between my PS2, Dreamcast, HAS and a Dos PC.
I want to send the signal to an OSSC and PC CRT.

After looking around the shinybow 4x8 caught my eye.
https://www.selby.com.au/shinybow-4x8-v ... b4148.html

Those front buttons look a little sketchy though.

Whats everyone using?
FinalBaton

Re: Recommendations for a VGA matrix switch

Post by FinalBaton »

Extron MVX series has to be at the top of your list IMO. or at te very least, near the top

Flawless video passthrough, adjustable gain for audio, and they pass RGBS but also RGsB. And the manual mention that they pass along component video through special cables.

And they can be picked up for a reasonable price.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Oh wow, don't know how I missed those, super quality units.
Can get an 88 for fairly cheap and know ill never run out of space.

You just made up my mind and saved me a heap of $, Thanks :)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

key digital also makes nice units, if you prefer RGBHV with BNC plugs - kd-msw8x3 or 8x4
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

+1 for the MVX. I use the 12x8 model to switch all of my consoles. I love it! Just remember that it does output TTL sync so you'll need to attenuate the sync signal if you're using it with a consumer TV or a Framemeister/OSSC.
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Another recommendation for the MVX. I got a 8x8 model for $40 off ebay recently. I use it for RGBHV, Component, and RGBS. Is highly configurable and compliments the OSSC nicely. Works great with everything and whats even better is the 8x8 is fairly compact coming in at 1RU in height.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

What else are you running? And if it's other systems and other connection and/or signal types, I would highly suggest getting an Extron Crosspoint. No point in having more than one switcher if you don't have to – especially since the Crosspoint can switch pretty much every type of signal before HDMI (Composite, S-Video, YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, RGBHV/VGA, etc. + audio).
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

yeah the MVX is Great. I have a 128. it has enough Inputs for all of my consoles plus i have 2 extra input. I Actually wanted the 168 but this one showed up first.

And it uses a vga connector. no Bncs to mess with.

It also takes just about any signal. RGBS RGBHV, etc.

Im only using 2 outputs though.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I have most of my consoles going to a gscart switch.
One output to a crt tv the other to the ossc.

My vga systems use either the ossc or crt pc monitor (or bypassing ossc to lcd) so this is where the matrix is needed.

Regarding previous comments about attenuating the TTL sync, I'll be feeding the MVX to the Vga port on the OSSC so it will be fine with no attenuation.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

I have an Extron Crosspoint purchased strictly for the intent of a component and vga switcher. My gscart will handle all consoles that are 240p since ive already invested in both the cables and switch. At the moment the crosspoint works great for my few component sources; vga on the other hand is still in the works.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for this attenuated TTL jargon? Simply tell me what one needs to accomplish on the output(s) of the Crosspoint so I never have to fear about plugging it into my OSSC, my consumer tube, my buddies framemeister, a downscaler, a capture card, a (insert expensive thing that isnt meant for this type of sync here), etc.

I feel like Ive heard it said for a few months now either from mentions on a forum or a retro roundtable and/or MLiG live Sundy stream convo. If a mod exists Im all ears, just share me the knowledge bomb links of some sources.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

VGA HV sync should be close to 5v TTL. Lower it and you will have sync issues with LCD and CRT alike.
I would assume the OSSC VGA input would be able to handle such signals.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

korpse413 wrote:Simply tell me what one needs to accomplish on the output(s) of the Crosspoint so I never have to fear about plugging it into my OSSC, my consumer tube, my buddies framemeister, a downscaler, a capture card, a (insert expensive thing that isnt meant for this type of sync here), etc.
Syntax wrote:VGA HV sync should be close to 5v TTL. Lower it and you will have sync issues with LCD and CRT alike.
I would assume the OSSC VGA input would be able to handle such signals.
My understanding is that the Extron Crosspoints put out 5V TTL on the H/C and V sync lines. This means that you can safely run RGBHV and RGBS into AV3 on the OSSC and directly into native VGA devices like 10-year-old-plus TVs and PC monitors with VGA inputs.

However, if you intend to use RGBS directly out of the Crosspoint for SCART applications, such as AV1 on the OSSC, the gscartsw/Hydra switches, or directly into the SCART port on a TV, you will need to attenuate sync to 75Ohm, as TTL is way out of spec, and you risk damaging your equipment.

All of this is moot when you're using composite, S-Video (YC), or component (YPbPr, RGsB), as none of these formats utilize the sync inputs, and the video signals will be to-spec.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

mvsfan wrote:yeah the MVX is Great. I have a 128. it has enough Inputs for all of my consoles plus i have 2 extra input. I Actually wanted the 168 but this one showed up first.

And it uses a vga connector. no Bncs to mess with.

It also takes just about any signal. RGBS RGBHV, etc.

Im only using 2 outputs though.
Is the ADSP feature worth the extra footprint, $ for my setup?
Last edited by Syntax on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parodius

Post by parodius »

nmalinoski wrote: My understanding is that the Extron Crosspoints put out 5V TTL on the H/C and V sync lines. This means that you can safely run RGBHV and RGBS into AV3 on the OSSC and directly into native VGA devices like 10-year-old-plus TVs and PC monitors with VGA inputs.

However, if you intend to use RGBS directly out of the Crosspoint for SCART applications, such as AV1 on the OSSC, the gscartsw/Hydra switches, or directly into the SCART port on a TV, you will need to attenuate sync to 75Ohm, as TTL is way out of spec, and you risk damaging your equipment.

All of this is moot when you're using composite, S-Video (YC), or component (YPbPr, RGsB), as none of these formats utilize the sync inputs, and the video signals will be to-spec.
Very clear explanation.
Sorry if starts being OT, but does the SyncStrike output TTL level H/V sync or 75ohm attenuated ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Does anyone know if you can route 5v to the VGA key pin 9 of an MVX matrix and have it output 5v?

I want to use it for blanking a crt.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:Does anyone know if you can route 5v to the VGA key pin 9 of an MVX matrix and have it output 5v?

I want to use it for blanking a crt.
There's no mention of 5V power nor blanking in the manual for the MVX 44/48/84/88 Series switchers, so it sounds to me like you won't be able to do this with an MVX. :(
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

ill dedicate an out for CRT and mod a blanking button in.

This way I can switch from composite and RGB with 1 button :)

Next question, Can the sync processing on the mvx 128/168 be switched off independently per output?? or switched off at all??
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work??

My only concern is the Extron 8x8 will screw with composite video going down the H sync line. I'm hoping I can just put an inline resistor on the Hsync output going to the CRT TV.
https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 1-01_A.pdf

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work??

My only concern is the Extron 8x8 will screw with composite video going down the H sync line. I'm hoping I can just put an inline resistor on the Hsync output going to the CRT TV.
https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 1-01_A.pdf
Regarding composite video, just put it on the Green line per the diagram in the PDF you linked; you should not be connecting composite video to any of the sync I/O.

Regarding your diagram, yes, if you are sending composite sync to your CRT TV, you will need to add an inline resistor to bring the voltage down. The same will need to be done for the RGB connections to the OSSC if you will be using AV1 (AV3 can take TTL sync just fine), and you will want to verify whether the GBS can take TTL as well.

Speaking of the GBS, you will need to route its output back to an input; it's routed to an output in this version of the diagram.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The gbs is routed back to an input, your probably looking at the 2 gbs inputs.

I have to run comp video down the H sync line because I use that for sync. The Exton should buffer it from 1vpp to 5vpp and all I should have to do is add enough inline resistance to bring it back to 1vpp.

As long as there is no stripping circuit and they just use buffers it should be fine.

If I ever need csync I'll just flick the sync regeneration switch on the gscart.
I'll route 5v to my crt scart on a switch to turn blanking on and off so I can choose between composite or RGB.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:The gbs is routed back to an input, your probably looking at the 2 gbs inputs.
No, I was skimming the diagram and ended up connecting the GBS output to the OSSC RGB input. :P
Syntax wrote:I have to run comp video down the H sync line because I use that for sync. The Exton should buffer it from 1vpp to 5vpp and all I should have to do is add enough inline resistance to bring it back to 1vpp.
From what I've read, Extron devices need a clean sync signal. Now, I've not verified this myself, and I may be conflating this with the sync restrictions for BVMs and PVMs, but you may want to look into a sync stripper between the devices you need sync-on-composite and the MVX, just in case the MVX doesn't support composite video (or luma) as sync.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I think its more a matter of most if not all VGA devices cannot use composite video, the Extron MVX series shouldn't really care.

Its the ADSP that scares me, that sharpens the waveform and id assume would mess up a composite video signal.

Seems like the MVX series only buffer it. About to take the plunge and find out :)