RGB-pi scart driving Ikegami monitor crazy - query and help!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Acer

RGB-pi scart driving Ikegami monitor crazy - query and help!

Post by Acer »

I hooked up my RGB-pi scart to my jvc 1400 pro monitor and it worked great; changed resolutions (from pal to ntsc) with no issues etc. Pvm 20l4 is the same (but with a bit of afc wobble). Can the afc be changed on a 20l4?

Now over to the my Ikegami tm 20-20. Boots up no problem but when a rom is selected the screen starts to roll violently as well as wavy diagonal lines and the brightness increases?... All other consoles work fine on it. Ext sync enabled is enabled

Any ideas - really stumped with this one
Dochartaigh

Re: RGB-pi scart driving Ikegami monitor crazy - query and h

Post by Dochartaigh »

There's a multipage topic here about "wonky" sync on the Ikegami's with certain video game consoles.

If it's like the Sony BVM's with their own sync problems on consoles which output non-standard sync signals (Sega Master System, one of the Neo Geo's, and the Raspberry Pi 3's with RGB boards all fall into that category - maybe a few others), it has something to do with (and I don't pretend I know what this means) those signals not having "horizontal slices in the vertical sync block" (you can read more about that here if you want to). And since I know my own multiple RP3's with multiple RetroTink and Pi2SCART rgb outputting boards ALL have that problem on some monitors like these, my educated guess if this is what you're experiencing as well.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Get an Extron 160xi or 201rxi, connect your pi's output to it, turn on the SERR dipswitch and hope for the best. Other Extron units might work as well but so far I only know of those two. It's another thing that adds cable clutter but in my scenario (PCE with JVC PVM) the 160xi did the job well :)

Relevant threads here and this one too.
Acer

Post by Acer »

werk91 wrote:Get an Extron 160xi or 201rxi, connect your pi's output to it, turn on the SERR dipswitch and hope for the best. Other Extron units might work as well but so far I only know of those two. It's another thing that adds cable clutter but in my scenario (PCE with JVC PVM) the 160xi did the job well :)

Relevant threads here and this one too.

thanks for that

just wondering about connectivity? - the pi outs via the GPIO connentor by RGB scart and the input of those devices is VGA?

I feed this into a scart splitter, which then feeds the signal via BVC to the monitor
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Sounds a lot like the setup I run at home currently. I use a SyncStrike from Arcade forge for input to Extron then the output is connected to BNC to Scart cable (wired for output) from RGC which goes to my Scart switcher and then to PVM. It's a lot of cables and things to get at once and will be pricey too.. luckily I had it all accumulated from a few years. Good luck!
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

There's a multipage topic here about "wonky" sync on the Ikegami's with certain video game consoles.

If it's like the Sony BVM's with their own sync problems on consoles which output non-standard sync signals (Sega Master System, one of the Neo Geo's, and the Raspberry Pi 3's with RGB boards all fall into that category - maybe a few others), it has something to do with (and I don't pretend I know what this means) those signals not having "horizontal slices in the vertical sync block" (you can read more about that here if you want to). And since I know my own multiple RP3's with multiple RetroTink and Pi2SCART rgb outputting boards ALL have that problem on some monitors like these, my educated guess if this is what you're experiencing as well.
Hey Jesse - the new design inserts the correct slices and doesn't mess up the horizontal sync phase like the older logic gate based combiners do.
https://youtu.be/zA4Hn9WzFQ4?t=2m57s
Shoot me an email.