PC to broadcast monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sefirosu789

PC to broadcast monitor

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Hello all,

I’m looking to connect my PC to BVM for movies and perhaps a few games. My options (as far as I know) are:

1. Extron RXI
2. HDMI to HDSDI converter

As far as I know, the differences are that the HDSDI option won’t be able to display anything under 480i. I’ve heard that the Extron runs SD resolutions perfectly but I’m not so sure about higher resolutions, maybe someone has tried it? I believe both of them have zero lag so that’s not much of a problem.

I’m currently leaning towards the HDSDI route as mainly will be used for movies or maybe some steam games as all my SD games are on the Wii already.
BazookaBen

Re: PC to broadcast monitor

Post by BazookaBen »

You can hook up a PC directly to a BVM with a VGA>BNC cable
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

BazookaBen wrote:You can hook up a PC directly to a BVM with a VGA>BNC cable
not sure what the max resolution of his display is, but getting any windows > xp to output 640x480 is a huge pain
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
not sure what the max resolution of his display is, but getting any windows > xp to output 640x480 is a huge pain
Really? I would be surprised if this really worked! Most people seem to use option 1 or 2 from what I've seen.

I will do it with a Sony BVM-D24E1WE + JVC DT-V1910CG.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Use Custom Resolution Utility to override your EDID. You can use it to add and subtract any resolution you wish.

Also, you might need to grab QuickRes from ultimarc to make sure you can select 480p:

https://www.ultimarc.com/download_old.html
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

CRT_emudriver + an old Radeon like a R9 270 works like a charm.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

AndehX wrote:CRT_emudriver + an old Radeon like a R9 270 works like a charm.
He said he's trying to play Steam games though, so a more full-featured, up to date driver would be better.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

BazookaBen wrote:
AndehX wrote:CRT_emudriver + an old Radeon like a R9 270 works like a charm.
He said he's trying to play Steam games though, so a more full-featured, up to date driver would be better.
You are correct, I'm not really looking to play older games. Actually, I do have a 270x.

How does these softwares you mentioned + VGA>BNC cables compare to HD SDI? Is there much difference aside from using HD SDI board on BVM instead of R G B S board?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

from memory: 720p HD SDI on the BVMs are limited to 4:2:2 video and while there are 4:4:4 SDI solutions almost all the affordable HDMI to HDSDI converters are doing 4:2:2 only anyway. If you don't need the analogue connections for anything else, use RGBHV instead, since this way you get your full 4:4:4 color resolution.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Sefirosu789 wrote:You are correct, I'm not really looking to play older games. Actually, I do have a 270x.

How does these softwares you mentioned + VGA>BNC cables compare to HD SDI? Is there much difference aside from using HD SDI board on BVM instead of R G B S board?
Why convert signals when you don't have to? Conversions run the risk of adding lag, artifacts, and noise.

So yeah, just run with the analog out of your card and create the resolutions you want to use. Actually, with CRU you can even add a 2560x1440 interlaced signal, since that has the same horizontal scan rate as 720p. Might look good on a BVM

You may even be able to add different vertical scan rates as long as you keep the horizontal the same. Like on my Hi-Scan Sony CRT, I was able to run up to 72hz by reducing resolution to keep the horizontal scan rate at 1080i/540p's 33.75 kHz
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Fudoh wrote:from memory: 720p HD SDI on the BVMs are limited to 4:2:2 video and while there are 4:4:4 SDI solutions almost all the affordable HDMI to HDSDI converters are doing 4:2:2 only anyway. If you don't need the analogue connections for anything else, use RGBHV instead, since this way you get your full 4:4:4 color resolution.
Will all input boards on the BVM give me 4:4:4 if I use RGBHV? I was told the 'best' is the BKM-20D because it gives 4:2:2 video and others don't. But I think all RGB gives 4:4:4, right? Sorry, hopefully you can correct me on this.

BazookaBen wrote:Why convert signals when you don't have to? Conversions run the risk of adding lag, artifacts, and noise.

So yeah, just run with the analog out of your card and create the resolutions you want to use. Actually, with CRU you can even add a 2560x1440 interlaced signal, since that has the same horizontal scan rate as 720p. Might look good on a BVM

You may even be able to add different vertical scan rates as long as you keep the horizontal the same. Like on my Hi-Scan Sony CRT, I was able to run up to 72hz by reducing resolution to keep the horizontal scan rate at 1080i/540p's 33.75 kHz
Ok, yeah you have a good point there tbh! I will hook up one of my RGB boards with RGBHV (via VGA>BNC cable). I will use one board for RGBs, one for Component and one for RGBHV with PC! I assume I will need to get a t connector or something to combine sync or will VGA to x4 BNC work?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Sefirosu789 wrote:Ok, yeah you have a good point there tbh! I will hook up one of my RGB boards with RGBHV (via VGA>BNC cable). I will use one board for RGBs, one for Component and one for RGBHV with PC! I assume I will need to get a t connector or something to combine sync or will VGA to x4 BNC work?
I've used a T-connector on my PVM and it worked well, but I think Fudoh said in another thread that BVM's can be finnicky about that. So you might need an extron RGB to actively combine them

VGA>4 BNC would only work if your graphics card was already outputting composite sync. I'm not sure that's possible on modern cards.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

4:2:2 is a digital compression thing. As long as you use analogue connections, even YPbPr instead of RGB, you have your full 4:4:4 color resolution. Wether you're using YPbPr, RGsB or RGBS is up to you. If you're using an active sync converter like an Extron RGB interface you get to choose between RGsB and RGBS coming from a RGBHV source. You shouldn't see a difference between the two. RGBS requires you to use the stock RGB board with the external sync input, but RGsB allows you you to use the add-on boards as well.

This said, I think that the dedicated SD add-on boards like the 20D or 21D won't support anything higher than 15khz.