PAL FAT PS2 best model?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sefirosu789

PAL FAT PS2 best model?

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Hi all,

Could anyone explain the difference in models of the fat pal ps2s, and which one is best?

I've found a SCPH-50003 but unsure if it's a good one to get. I will be using a 1TB HDD with it to play my 60hz backup games.

Thanks all !!
Xer Xian

Re: PAL FAT PS2 best model?

Post by Xer Xian »

PAL or NTSC doesn't matter, starting from the SCPH-3000x we got the same hardware revisions as in Japan. There was one guy claiming that earlier PAL revisions couldn't run NTSC software at the correct speed, but I've got an SCPH-35004 model (V4, second revision to hit Europe) and I can say that it runs NTSC properly. The SCPH-5000x model is quieter but also feels cheaper than the previous ones - not that it matters really. It lacks the communication port to link multiple PS2's but only a handful of games support it.

The 'best' model in terms of what? Build quality, features, operating noise, reliability, ease of modding? There's not a universally 'best' model - in fact, you can't even get a specific revision basing just on the SCPH- label since the model number of a PS2 does not uniquely identify its hardware revision (scroll down for the list). It's a mess, and finding a detailed breakdown of the changes introduced by each revision is NOT easy. Here's the wiki page on PS2 models and here's an informative post by a guy who used to repair PS2's.

I'd say this - instead of looking for the best model, just look for a unit that is in good shape. Once you run games from the HDD, the model number hardly matters imho.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Xer Xian wrote:PAL or NTSC doesn't matter, starting from the SCPH-3000x we got the same hardware revisions as in Japan. There was one guy claiming that earlier PAL revisions couldn't run NTSC software at the correct speed, but I've got an SCPH-35004 model (V4, second revision to hit Europe) and I can say that it runs NTSC properly. The SCPH-5000x model is quieter but also feels cheaper than the previous ones - not that it matters really. It lacks the communication port to link multiple PS2's but only a handful of games support it.

The 'best' model in terms of what? Build quality, features, operating noise, reliability, ease of modding? There's not a universally 'best' model - in fact, you can't even get a specific revision basing just on the SCPH- label since the model number of a PS2 does not uniquely identify its hardware revision (scroll down for the list). It's a mess, and finding a detailed breakdown of the changes introduced by each revision is NOT easy. Here's the wiki page on PS2 models and here's an informative post by a guy who used to repair PS2's.

I'd say this - instead of looking for the best model, just look for a unit that is in good shape. Once you run games from the HDD, the model number hardly matters imho.
Yeah, I was more worried about things like certain revisions being not able to run NTSC at the correct speed etc. Seems like that won't be any problem then. How is the 5000x quieter? Just the discs spinning? Or just overall?

I see now that there is no universal 'best' PS2 model, I didn't realise it was so complex! Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, it helped cleared things up. Hopefully it'll help others too.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

3000x model imo because its the only model that can turn off sync on green by soldering a jumper.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

IMO best would mean most reliable while still maintaining true hardware ps1 support, and secondarily best dvd drive
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Syntax wrote:3000x model imo because its the only model that can turn off sync on green by soldering a jumper.
Wow. That's a huge feature for the 3000x models then.
maxtherabbit wrote:IMO best would mean most reliable while still maintaining true hardware ps1 support, and secondarily best dvd drive
I thought all of them have true ps1 support?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I personally don't rate the PS1 emulation on a PS2. But if thats your thing then make sure you get a fat.
The fats have proper hardware but emulate some of the graphics I think. Both use Popstarter.

Starting from the slim 7000x series compatability took a nose dive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:3000x model imo because its the only model that can turn off sync on green by soldering a jumper.
v5/v6 3000X models are nice as well for having the Firewire port. You can always replace the fan and laser assembly, and, if you really want IR, you can buy the module that fits in the controller port.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I went to change the fan on mine but the 2tb HDD is almost as loud lol.

Wasnt sure if it was a different fan between fat models.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Syntax wrote:I personally don't rate the PS1 emulation on a PS2. But if thats your thing then make sure you get a fat.
The fats have proper hardware but emulate some of the graphics I think. Both use Popstarter.

Starting from the slim 7000x series compatability took a nose dive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
my understanding was that some/all fats had full hardware no emulation but idk
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It's a super biased opinion of mine but playing ps1 titles on a ps2 just feels wrong. Side by side I can pick the difference everytime.

Unless you need to consolidate your consoles a PS1 is dirt cheap and probably has better RGB out than a ps2.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Syntax wrote:It's a super biased opinion of mine but playing ps1 titles on a ps2 just feels wrong. Side by side I can pick the difference everytime.

Unless you need to consolidate your consoles a PS1 is dirt cheap and probably has better RGB out than a ps2.
My setup is based around YPbPr so the PS2 is my jam, and yeah space for consoles is getting to be premium at this point. You can use OG ps1 mem cards and controllers directly so it feels pretty authentic to me. I can't speak to rgb on the ps1 as the best I had for that was s video :(

That thread posted earlier on psx scene is a goldmine of info, I had no idea there was so much going on with the lasers in the ps2s
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

But you cant play PS1 titles over component cables on a PS2 though right?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:But you cant play PS1 titles over component cables on a PS2 though right?
You can, no problem; and it outputs in the native resolution. You may wish to [re]watch MLiG's RGB 206.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The ps1 titles will output in either 240p or 480i.

If your screen has trouble with 240p over component then no picture.

I've had this issue with cheap LCD monitors at hotels ECT.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

There was one guy claiming that earlier PAL revisions couldn't run NTSC software at the correct speed, but I've got an SCPH-35004 model (V4, second revision to hit Europe) and I can say that it runs NTSC properly.
PS2 games run at the correct/on spec refresh regardless of the region of the console.

60hz PS1 games run off-spec refresh if run on a PAL PS2 (and vice versa).
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
60hz PS1 games run off-spec refresh if run on a PAL PS2 (and vice versa).
Even if the PS1 games are being played with the software mods instead of original disc, it will still run off spec refresh rate on other region PS2?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

just as an aside: using popstarter absolutely sucks
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Even if the PS1 games are being played with the software mods instead of original disc, it will still run off spec refresh rate on other region PS2?
Probably using something like Popstarter would fix it, but there are about a dozen better ways to play PS1 games than that.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Probably using something like Popstarter would fix it, but there are about a dozen better ways to play PS1 games than that.
Thanks, I am sure you are right. But all I know of atm is burning PS1 discs which I don't want to do and PSIO is too much for me currently (and not readily available).. I will probably just use Popstarter for a little while until I find something better (I heard wii ps1 emulation isn't good too).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
Thanks, I am sure you are right. But all I know of atm is burning PS1 discs which I don't want to do and PSIO is too much for me currently (and not readily available).. I will probably just use Popstarter for a little while until I find something better (I heard wii ps1 emulation isn't good too).
Its a headache getting everything to work with popstarter just to have it run like crap or crash.

Modchips are pretty cheap for a PS2, just a pain to install.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Syntax wrote:Modchips are pretty cheap for a PS2, just a pain to install.
Second that, they can also cause compatibility issues with softmods, particularly FHDB. If it does come down to burning discs, getting a PS1 and just modding that is 100% the way to go - I found this out the hard way.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I have FHDB installed but only really use it as a backup because loading times on my 2tb with over 200 games sucks.

If I use FMCB then it boots near instantly and I don't have to worry about disabling the modchip.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Sefirosu789 wrote:PSIO is too much for me currently (and not readily available).
PSIO is currently available to pre-order - http://ps-io.com/store/psio-cartridge/

It's also going into mass production to be sold at stone age gamer so it won't be rare or super expensive for long.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Second that, they can also cause compatibility issues with softmods
I had this issue for over a year with my O2mod but in the latest FMCB/Open PS2 loader seems to have fixed it
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I bought a silver SCPH-50004 PS2 a few months ago on ebay. Yesterday I fitted my IDE HDD into it to launch FMCB and it would just not boot. Since I use FMCB on my stock (and older) PS2 no problem I immediately thought it may have been hardmodded - sure enough, I popped in an NTSC disc and the PAL PS2 read it just fine. There was no indication of it being hardmodded on the listing, but I guess I should have paid attention to the fact that the warranty seal on the back was missing. Should also have tested it with FMCB right when I bought it, deh.

Anyway, I disassembled it and took a couple of photos:
Image Image

At least the install doesn't look too bad. So this should be a Matrix Infinity modchip from what I gathered. I think it's in stealth mode since the PS2 boots to the regular menu. Does anyone know if this modchip has a menu from which it can be switched off? Any clue how do I access it?

Edit: Nevermind, found the info I was looking for, apparently it's just pressing triangle+circle during boot-up.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You're very lucky, I have a 50004 hard modded too but with a shitty chip that lacks what they call dev-olution mode (pressing buttons to boot directly into launch software), and I can't go around using a shitty cd that skips 'n all.
Yeah that chip even forces 480i on PS1 games and makes all CDs spin much too fast and skip like crazy.
Nothing I've tried ever got around it. A fat 5000* or more with a matrix infinity is the best possible setup.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Xyga wrote:You're very lucky, I have a 50004 hard modded too but with a shitty chip that lacks what they call dev-olution mode (pressing buttons to boot directly into launch software), and I can't go around using a shitty cd that skips 'n all.
Yeah that chip even forces 480i on PS1 games and makes all CDs spin much too fast and skip like crazy.
Nothing I've tried ever got around it. A fat 5000* or more with a matrix infinity is the best possible setup.
according to the link that xer xian posted earlier, the 5000* and newer are the worst choice for using burned discs because they are the most likely to cook the laser

after reading all of l_olivera's posts on psx-scene I've decided to look for a v4 or earlier (3000x pre-R)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah but once you have your hdd running the laser doesn't matter!
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Xyga wrote:Yeah but once you have your hdd running the laser doesn't matter!
it does if you want to play ps1 games without dealing with the nightmare of popstarter