Controller Storage

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Controller Storage

Post by Syntax »

Like many of us I own quite a few controllers and i cannot come up with a convenient storage solution.

I can not stand controllers with the cable wrapped around them, it twists the internal wires up and eventually pulls the cable insulation from the controller or port.

Coiling cables the correct way (pinch and twist) is a pain in the butt and takes up space.

I was thinking of a wall mount solution where the controllers sit upside down and the cables dangle so they are always straight when I go to use them.

Dust is a big issue for me with wall mounted stuff though.

Any pics or ideas are greatly welcomed :)
Dochartaigh

Re: Controller Storage

Post by Dochartaigh »

I like the hanging on the wall idea. A duster (electric - LOVE the one I just got, feather duster, or expensive canned air) can get rid of dust quickly. When I redo my gameroom I might make an indent into the wall so all the wires literally fall down into the drywall and can't be seen (with a large grate or something which will catch a controller if it falls).

Other than that, right now I wrap properly with velcro ties permanently attached to the end of the cable, then set in a drawer with the controller sitting on top of the coiled cable. Oh, and WIRELESS controllers are a godsend. I'm trying to get at least 1 of each for all my systems (ideally 2). This is mainly for display since I like showing each console with it's period-correct controller, and for casual gaming it's good too - although I usually bring out the wired controller for extended or more serious gaming sessions.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I like My Life in Gaming's solution the most. Just put the controllers in individual plastic zip-lock baggies and store them inside a drawer to prevent dust accumulation and fading from sunlight. No cord or wire bending either. Very clean and tangle free too.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:I like My Life in Gaming's solution the most. Just put the controllers in individual plastic zip-lock baggies and store them inside a drawer to prevent dust accumulation and fading from sunlight. No cord or wire bending either. Very clean and tangle free too.
I do something to this effect. I have Ziploc gallon freezer bags labeled for each of my consoles, and I keep controllers and accessories in them, and then I keep the bags in a plastic storage tub (which is now overflowing because it's way too small).
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I've been wrapping mine for nearly 30 years with no broken controllers so ?? I do extend the cord out an inch or two before wrapping so there's a tiny loop on top. This helps keep the joint from damaging (important on Sega's lazy design).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Einzelherz wrote:I've been wrapping mine for nearly 30 years with no broken controllers so ?? I do extend the cord out an inch or two before wrapping so there's a tiny loop on top. This helps keep the joint from damaging (important on Sega's lazy design).
I think it might depend on how gently you wrap the cabling. If you forcibly wrap the cable so it twists against its natural inclination, and likely also if you wrap it tightly around a smaller controller, like those of the NES, SNES, Genesis; yes, you're going to damage the cable.

If you wrap it gently around your hand, or a larger controller, like the Dreamcast's, and you make sure to untwist the cable so it wraps naturally and doesn't bind, you'll be fine. (I hope that makes sense; it'd be easier for me to demonstrate than describe.)
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

That's fine, but again, I've been wrapping nes controllers tight for the decades.
Gara

Post by Gara »

It doesn't really solve your dislike of coiling cables but velcro based ties combined with an over the door shoe organizer make things pretty convenient. You can even use a little bit of velcro tape to seal the tops so dust doesn't get in.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6457
Velcro ties.

https://www.amazon.com/Aotuno-Over-Door ... B01MG4SAXZ
Make sure you get an organizer with clear plastic rather than mesh.

Big controllers don't fit in the standard 24 slot ones. For things like the N64, Dreamcast, Saturn 3D, etc one of the bigger ones should work
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSTVPKB

There are also some elegant looking hook solutions like this one
https://www.laboratory424.com/project/wall-clip
It would require quite a bit of dusting over time.

Another option are pocket organizers that also fit right over a door.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074B1LNH1
gray117

Post by gray117 »

squash them all into a couple of storage boxes, and everytime you need one; empty box onto floor, and spend half your day untangling/tidying up

... I feel like a right dumbo, and think I need some zip lock baggies...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I like to take care of my stuff but man, it really doesn't seem as complicated as some of the posts above.

I sometimes coil my wires but I do it carefully and it's pretty clear from the build quality of most first-party items that it isn't going to cause any damage.

I have had controllers loaded in mass quantities into simple storage boxes, in full contact with one another, that all came out looking the same as they did going in. Just put them in with care, stack them intelligently, and make sure they're not going to be bounced around wherever it is you're leaving the box.

Most of my stuff would be described as mint condition by the average person taking a glance, and lots of it is ~25 years old. Bottom line: treat your things well, don't do anything that seems stupid.. but other than that, much of the above sounds like self-induced stress.