Capacitors for pcb?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mvsfan

Capacitors for pcb?

Post by mvsfan »

I just bought a combatribes pcb, and it is missing the capacitor at C1. does anyone know what value c1 is supposed to be?
shmupsman

Re: Capacitors for pcb?

Post by shmupsman »

it should be the same as on the left side of CN1.

it is C56 or C66 (hard to read from photo)
http://i.imgur.com/Kv2313F.jpg
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Hey, thanks. hopefully this board will boot after I put that cap in and replace the other one thats broken.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

This board did start working after I installed the missing caps. Sort of.

there are no charachter sprites. the background and game info on screen work fine.

what else should i be looking for? I already tried re-seating all the socketed chips.
caius

Post by caius »

It's very unlikely that the board booted after fitting that missing capacitor.The capacitors in the corners of the PCB are simple "smoothing" ones, they are not vital (for example part of a RESET circuit)

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com ... -capacitor

As for the lack of sprites, check the surface mounted custom ASIC sprites generator.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Well, im telling you it did. thats the only thing i did was replace those two caps and it started playing but without sprites. I did the obvious first.

the next thing i was going to try was re-seating all the chips to try to get the sprites back.

I dont know how to check that Asic i think thats beyond my skill.

im not very good at troubleshooting these things beyond looking for stuff thats broken and re seating chips.