SuperFX is partially working on the SD2NES

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
citrus3000psi

SuperFX is partially working on the SD2NES

Post by citrus3000psi »

orange808

Re: SuperFX is partially working on the SD2NES

Post by orange808 »

Redguy's post was a bit of a bombshell. :) Should be interesting to see what happens with the "other" WIP.

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7403.30
We apologise for the inconvenience
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So awesome! :D
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

That is pretty cool indeed!
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Nice! Maybe I won't have to invest in that StarFox 2 repro after all.
James-F

Post by James-F »

I didn't want to reply there, but I think it is not a good idea to pressure the single developer by asking for SA-1 or test builds or posting comments like "Mama miaaa ! SuperFX comingggggg ! OMMMMG !", that might put him off from developing.
It would be better for him to keep the development in privet and release a finished version.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

James-F wrote:I didn't want to reply there, but I think it is not a good idea to pressure the single developer by asking for SA-1 or test builds or posting comments like "Mama miaaa ! SuperFX comingggggg ! OMMMMG !", that might put him off from developing.
It would be better for him to keep the development in privet and release a finished version.
Nobody did that here.

I doubt that excitement will scare away the new devs. Also, there is now more than one dev involved, because the open source nature of the project is paying off.

What's more likely to delay or stop a release is the nature of the project itself. As I understand it, the SuperFX has some curious design decisions that make replicating the timing very tricky. Also, the FPGA doesn't have enough memory to fully emulate the SFX. So, there's going to be some hacks. The emulation will have to be "good enough" to meet expectations--and that's a tall order. The SFX will be pushing the FPGA hard.

Over time, I've noticed multiple appeals to the community to jump in and help with the SFX, but the offical dev has appeared more open to trying the SA1. We'll see what happens.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Why can't a better FPGA be used. It'll mean SD2SNES v2.0, but that's how things go.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Seems like a lot of work for the 3 maybe 4 good SNES titles that use the SuperFX chip (that are still very affordable).
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Same RedGuy who made an OSSC FW with scaling filters. Very promising indeed.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

opt2not wrote:Seems like a lot of work for the 3 maybe 4 good SNES titles that use the SuperFX chip (that are still very affordable).
I own all those games and I’d still love them on my sd2snes.. not for piracy, but to have them on tap without digging out my carts :) so best of luck to redguy.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I thought this would never happen, just assumed that ikari of SD2SNES fame got busy with live or other projects, and that the SD2SNES would mostly see small bug fixes or menu updates etc. from here on out. I was very happy with my purchase already. This is a nice gift, guess sometime in the future I can actually play Star Fox and Yoshi's island on my SFC without swapping in the JP carts (at least those are super cheap). Neat.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

I'm definitely going to have to check this out.

I picked up one of these on RetroRGB's recommendation a few months back and have been quite happy with it:

https://www.retrocircuits.com/product/s ... ll-in-one/
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Works like a charm for me. Yoshi's Island is flawless, pretty much. Starfox has a bit of slowdown (more than usual, lol)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Great news fo Yoshi's Island ! (the others idgaf)

this boosts my motivation to get done with my snes setup resurrection/salvaging mission
though I'll probably go with the old 2-switches mod, because both super-cic and supposed sd2snes compatibility seems like a ton of unnecessary fluff
I mean the in-game hooks already create trouble and that's just more combinations and stuff to to add on top, and I like just flipping switches :p
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"