Best VGA capture card for DOS gaming?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ramunegaming

Best VGA capture card for DOS gaming?

Post by ramunegaming »

I'm currently using the XCapture-1 for all my capturing needs however I've run into a problem when I try to capture DOS games over VGA. I either lose signal or on one of the Xcapture-1 driver set I get a super zoomed in image. I've been on this forum trying to fix this problem but with no success though I am grateful for anyone that did help.

Anyways the post isn't about the problem I'm having it's more about finding a solution. I am on the hunt for a capture card that can capture VGA perfectly while playing DOS games on my vintage pc. Capture cards are expensive however so people only recommend what you know should work. I've had a look around myself and struggled finding anything so hopefully you guys can help me :)
Fudoh

Re: Best VGA capture card for DOS gaming?

Post by Fudoh »

If you can use an internal capture card, the Datapath Vision RGB E1S is your choice. $100-150 on ebay.com.

If you need an external capture box, I can recommend the Epiphan DVI2USB 3.0. You get 70Hz along with full 4:4:4 RGB capture (only higher resolution like 1080p are capped at around 35fps for RGB capture, but will capture in 60Hz for 4:2:2). You're looking at about $200 here.
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Have you used either of these cards for DOS games?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Why don’t you use the capture feature built into Dosbox?

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Recording_Video
Copyright 1987
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Trying to capture my vintage pc with original games. I don't do emulation.