Re: Is the N64 RGB mod worth it?

Post by Xyga »

Nice! Thank you. :D
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

CobraKing wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:I have another question. Can the RGB Mod to solve the Sync Issues the N64 has with the Framemeister. Some N64 changing resolutions during Game are not playable on the FM including one my favourite Games RE 2.

Can a RGB mod help to erase that problem or is there nothing that can be done against it, I need to plug in the N64 directly into the TV to play some certain N64 games.
Nope that delay is inherent to the Framemeister. Marq's OSSC is significantly quicker in that regard but only accepts RGB inputs presently.
Not 100% correct; or at least it is not correct with a certain probability. It depends how picky the FM is with regards to one line difference between two frames.

With my N64Advanced mod you can use line doubling for 240p and 480i content. The resulting output is constant 480p even if the game switches between 240p and 480i and back. At least if the game does not produces a sync dropout while switching, i.e. the switch appears exactly between two frames, which is true for RE2, Killer Instinct Gold and V-Rally 99 at least. At the line doubled output you will get 525 lines (480i: 262,5 x 2) and 526 (240p: 263 x 2).

I don't own a Framemeister, but on my TV...
... I won't have a sync dropout when connecting the N64 via component
... I unfortunately have a small 1s or so sync dropout when connecting my N64 via the OSSC (passthrough) to my TV
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

nmalinoski wrote:Oh, I misread. In that case, thefoo.83 has the cable for you right now.

I bought one of those "best S-Video" cables, but from a US seller, and they're okay. They look a bit thin to me, and I'm not convinced that they're well-shielded.
Glad to know that non-expensive, very well-made s-video nintendo cables are available in Europe! That's great news!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've ordered his last one in stock! not confirmed yet hope it'll be alright.

Off-topic but: can I use an euro PSU and ram-pack with my US N64 ? as well as controllers 'n other accessories ?
I doubt anything beyond the console itself is US localized but you never know.
Basically once I have it working for what will be peanuts compared to a RGB solution, I'll shove an everdrive in it and done.
I was given that bare US N64 for free and I have several S-Video NTSC compatible CRT TVs around, I like the console but not to the point of spending much more than that on it.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

FinalBaton wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Oh, I misread. In that case, thefoo.83 has the cable for you right now.

I bought one of those "best S-Video" cables, but from a US seller, and they're okay. They look a bit thin to me, and I'm not convinced that they're well-shielded.
Glad to know that non-expensive, very well-made s-video nintendo cables are available in Europe! That's great news!

Yes thats great news indeed. I need to get one of these too . I hope they will be available soon again.

borti4938 Thanks for the reply. Then there is maybe a chance that these picky games could run on the FM after all. But if not i just connect the N64 directly to the TV that would ok as well.

Xyga Should be problem to use the PSU and other hardware on the N64. A buddy of mine ordered a japanese N64 and he never mentioned any problems when using his pal equipment on it.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Xyga wrote:Off-topic but: can I use an euro PSU and ram-pack with my US N64 ? as well as controllers 'n other accessories ?
Yeah I use a Japanese N64 that I bought unit only and just swapped everything in from my PAL stuff.
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

Kez wrote:
Xyga wrote:Off-topic but: can I use an euro PSU and ram-pack with my US N64 ? as well as controllers 'n other accessories ?
Yeah I use a Japanese N64 that I bought unit only and just swapped everything in from my PAL stuff.
Could you also change the expansion pack without any problems? The above mentioned buddy of mine never had an expansion pack, so in not sure that would work.

The japanese N64 are cheap indeed and I am thinking of getting one two for the planned RGB mod.