Gaming Table

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Tigershark

Gaming Table

Post by Tigershark »

Please move to hardware if this post should be there.

I need to sort out the way I game to make it easier for me so I don't have to get on my knees to connect cables and generally faff around. It's actually stopping me playing some games on my older consoles.

I have the following:

PC
PS1
PS2
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Xbox 360
Xbox One

What I want is a table solution where I can put all the consoles in an accessible space so gaming on the different formats becomes easier. Searching on Google doesn't bring up any solutions as they all look very traditional and would be fine if all you have is a PC and one console. I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Ta.
neorichieb1971

Re: Gaming Table

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds like a custom job to me.

I'd envisage a pigeon hole system up the left and right hand side with the TV/monitor in the middle.

Is that the sort of thing you want?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Thanks. My woodwork skills are not up to much I'm afraid. I was hoping that there might be a niche company out there that did this stuff. Perhaps there isn't.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

In my retro room tvs are at couch head height. And I have four 8ft shelves that go across the top. All my consoles are lined up on these shelves. With cables and power supplies behind them. No consoles are hooked up. But all I have to do is pull them down, and plug them in. I have power and video hookups easily accessible. I stopped trying to keep at my consoles hooked up. Just wasn't worth it.

All newer consoles (ie native HDMI out) are in my main living room.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

My setup involves two TV stands side-by-side (the living room is very wide and thin). The one on the right has my LCD, home theater system, newer consoles, and turntable, while the one on the right has my CRT, older consoles, and all the power and video processors (Extron Crosspoints, Kramer FC-4044, OSSC, component switch).

My biggest problem with any kind of TV setup is accessibility to the rear for maintenance. The TV stands are about a foot away from the wall, so I have some room to work, but it's still a PITA to get back there, and I still need to kneel (or in some cases lay down) on the floor to make adjustments. (It would be a lot easier if I had a nice rack or two, but money.)

That said, I tried my best to make the consoles and equipment accessible from the front, so while adding a new console takes a little time, removing one takes less, and getting everything turned on is quick and simple.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

yeah i just use one of them ikea units
https://imgur.com/a/fifWS
need to get a curtain made for the front still to hide all this crap
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The technical term you should be googling is "TV bench".
gray117

Post by gray117 »

What kind of context is this? Study or living room or bedroom? Need desk space for anything else?

Personally for my study I have to have a 180x80cm desk for pc stuff + wacom + drawing/painting + soldering or whatever. And on top have a high desk shelf to raise monitors but also make it possible to shuffle around a crt or two - which you can't do with monitor arms... otherwise can't recommend monitor arms enough to keep that desk surface free :)

Equipment is just shelved my under desk on one side.

What I am looking at doing specifically for consoles + video stuff is having a castored under desk height 'data cabinet' or two with doors and airflow to keep things flexible, and everything super tidy, so if I ever needed to get round the back to clean (actually more of a concern than plugging things in) wheel it out so that I'm not bumping under a desk, trying to not to pull over a bunch of shelves, or deconstructing a tower of power. Tidy for office/study, not really front room or partner approved though ;)

General advice: velcro cable ties and usb extenders.

Sliding door cabinets are best for front rooms + partner approval... flexible on the airflow/cable access, keeps it all out of sight when not in use. Can have a clean side (door open + airflow - consoles and controllers) and a messy side (door slide closed side - storage and cable holes out the back/side/top/bottom) and if a door is open it's not poking out into your room....