NES/SNES top-loader build quality vs. original fat models

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steamflogger Boss

Re: NES/SNES top-loader build quality vs. original fat model

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I'd get a top loader and depending on your budget for this, I'd get a Sharp Twin Famicom. Ultimately it's not going to be that much more than a top loader. Actually cheaper if you are willing to replace the fdd belt.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Theres not much of a difference, but the cart slot on the toploader is much better. The toploader has almost all of the same components inside that the frontloader does, except the changes to make it a top loader.

It uses all the exact same chips and everything. they didnt even redesign and combine most components like they did with the 1-chip snes.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm a stickler for the original. In the United States the top loader was bargain bin junk I only saw at Toys'r'Us like a full 2 years AFTER the SNES came out! Thus nobody I ever knew owned a top loading NES...so they're kinda fake to me. This is also why I don't own a SNES mini/Jr. - keep it original.

The toaster-style NES can have a BlinkingLightWin installed if yours has problems with the pins. Not quite 100% original at that point (and no pushing down on the cartridge anymore, but it'll load any game you want at least.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

mvsfan wrote:Theres not much of a difference, but the cart slot on the toploader is much better. The toploader has almost all of the same components inside that the frontloader does, except the changes to make it a top loader.

It uses all the exact same chips and everything. they didnt even redesign and combine most components like they did with the 1-chip snes.
The NES Top Loader and AV Famicom do not have the lockout chip built in, so they have much higher reliability and can play unlicensed games right out of the box.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm a stickler for the original. In the United States the top loader was bargain bin junk I only saw at Toys'r'Us like a full 2 years AFTER the SNES came out! Thus nobody I ever knew owned a top loading NES...so they're kinda fake to me. This is also why I don't own a SNES mini/Jr. - keep it original.

The toaster-style NES can have a BlinkingLightWin installed if yours has problems with the pins. Not quite 100% original at that point (and no pushing down on the cartridge anymore, but it'll load any game you want at least.
For anyone that wants to play games on a toaster disabling the lock out chip and installing blw is a must. I just hate the aesthetic of the original US NES, but that's just completely a personal preference thing.

Also some more on my previous recommendation: so the Twin Famicom would be my first choice, otherwise an AV Famicom. Composite out of the box is a huge advantage over the US top loader and odds are you will want to play carts from both regions anyway (which will require an adapter either way).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have both the US top loader and the AV Famicom, and have been playing exclusively on the Top Loader for the past 15+ years, and I absolutely love it - I would never go back.

The only issue with it of course, is that the US model only has RF video output, which is horrible. Fortunately though, it's very easy to mod composite video output on it - and of course you also have the option to go all the way with an NESRGB.
FBX

Post by FBX »

If we're talking stock, I hated the US top-loader. No composite video, and jail bars galore. I felt it was one of the worst PoS's I burned money on at the time. These days though, I just use my front-loaders with BLW kits. Keeps the nostalgia of the original, whilst having the reliability of a top-loader.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Arcadeworks is the only company ive dealt with who wouldnt do a volume discount on a product like the BLW. i tried to buy 10 of them a while back.

with that said, its a great product, and does what its supposed to.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I've had hundreds of front loader and top loader go through my door. Here's my take on it.

1) The biggest difference is the reliability of the 72 pin connector. In terms of reliability (from best to worst) I would rate:

Top loader -> BLW in Front -> Refurbished connector in Front -> Stock Front -> 3rd party Front

As one can see, there are so many options that try and correct the worst part about the NES Front loader. BLW is also not perfect. I'm aware of at least 2 cases where it stopped working after a couple of months and was replaced by the company.

2) PCB design

No doubt, the front loader is superior. It has composite stock (instead of jailbar rich top loader). Even the copper traces used are better. If you need to remove the CPU/PPU, it's very easy to damage the top loader's pin hole copper (being so flimsy and thin) while with top loader, you need to do something silly to damage it!

3) Long term reliability

They are about the same. But I do find that the capacitors inside the RF block of the front loader are starting to leak. No matter what you choose, I think these consoles would outlive any PS3/XBOX One console. :)
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I figured out that i can pick those capacitors out of the rf block with locking tweezers, and replace them if i remove the big capacitor First.
leonk

Post by leonk »

mvsfan wrote:I figured out that i can pick those capacitors out of the rf block with locking tweezers, and replace them if i remove the big capacitor First.
Yeah. But not all of them need to be done. I find in most cases it's the 10uF 6.3V caps leak more than any other.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

For me there's no contest : I would never even consider anything else than a front-loader. I have my childhood front-loader here in front of me on the AV rack, I got that baby RGB-modded and that system is so precious to me, I've got the feels whenever I'm using it, lol.

Granted my take is rooted in nostalgia but hey, it's not as if the top loader/av famicom was better built of anything
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar »

I would pick the AV Famicom, personally. This is because if you use an EverDrive like I do, the NES models aren't compatible with the extra sound channels on some games, whereas the Famicom has full compatibility. Plus, all NES games work just fine on a Famicom with a pin adapter.