Looking for a new PC monitor, might need some advice

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ji-L87

Looking for a new PC monitor, might need some advice

Post by Ji-L87 »

I've decided to replace my main 27" display.
Currently I run a 23" and a 27", both are your standard 16:9 1080p sets.

My basic requirements are a higher resolution, VESA-support and big enough to use without applying resolution scaling in windows.

However I am very unsure if I want to go 1440p or 4K, and 16:9 or ultra-wide. And by extension if ultra-wide, curved or non curved?
High refresh-rates and variable sync technologies I can take or leave, they are not important to me in this case.

I can't seem to find any non-curved ultra-wide monitors in stores, I guess they died out? I don't mind picking something from the second hand markets either.
And before anyone mentions it, No - The Massdrop Vast monitor is not shipping here.

My main reservation about curved displays are if they will get annoying when working in Photoshop/Clip Studio/similar software.

Thankful for all advice in this matter m(_ _)m
CHECKPOINT!
Fudoh

Re: Looking for a new PC monitor, might need some advice

Post by Fudoh »

Curved ultra-wides are great. You're getting used to it on no time and it really just replicates the angle you'd be setting two monitors next to each other if you're using a double monitor setup anyway.

If you can't stand it, you can pick one of those 4K 43" monitors (Philips, Dell and others). These are great too, but they're a bit too high for me. The 38" ultra wides with 1600px vertical resolutions are my favorites (Dell and LG). A bit more on the pricey end though.

If you don't mind the low ppi count of your 27" 1080p display, the 32:9 3840x1080p one by Samsung is nice too. It's really just two 27" 1080p displays in one. There's a 1440p version of it in the works (for later this year), but it certainly will be much more expensive. With a 32:9 display you - of course - also get the perfect Darius Burst display.
Xyga

Re: Looking for a new PC monitor, might need some advice

Post by Xyga »

The usual recommendations for reviews: tftcentral.co.uk, pcmonitors.info, prad.de, etc

I don't often check ultrawides and curved, but it seems those are a little bit less popular now aren't they? there aren't that many fresh reviews.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"