Re: consolized neo geo

Post by Fudoh »

component is safe out of the box.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Thanks Fudoh

So is it just RGB that isn't?

Oh man... this is pretty amazing. Having those two Saturn controller ports really sweeten things up.
I can't contain my excitement!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

plan in a little modding (stereo, battery, attenuation of the sync line) and you have a very nice machine.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Is there a guide for that at the moment?

My soldering skills are okay. :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

for stereo and battery there are videos on youtube. For the sync line you simply add a resistor to the sync output pin. You can it in the cable instead of the system if you like.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Ahh sort of like those cheap PS2 RGB Scart Cables with 220 caps soldered on.

I recently discovered cheap superguns on aliexpress and I'm trying to decide if I should just buy the Supergun and buy a slot 1 MVS. This option not only allows me to play Neo Geo games but also other PCBs too.

But this CMVS looks soo nice though. The implementation of Saturn control ports are awesome. The Supergun has this option as well.

decisions decisions.
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

I'm kind of new to the world of consolized MVS systems and I am wondering about the RGBs connection on the back of the Aliexpress CBOX MVS. I use a gscart lite and an OSSC in a very basic RGB switching setup between my handful of consoles. I have ordered one of these CBOX MVS systems in the hopes of being able to play Neo Geo stuff within this easily switchable setup.

I want to take advantage of the stereo sound (even if I have to mod) over the RGBs connection. I know that I will have to mod the sync so that it is not eating the OSSC alive. Assuming I can do the stereo mod and the sync attenuation would this cable(with NO RCA breakout) work:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/neo ... nc-on-luma

I want to avoid having to have the audio broken out. Basically I just want to maintain a very easily switchable setup. I hope this makes sense. Thanks all!

--Ray
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Its easy to get stereo sound. you cut the center pin on the RCA audio jacks on the back of the cbox and wire them to the audio amp IC, left and right to center pin of each jack.

I believe its pin 1 and pin 7 on the 9480F ic.

another thing you could do is look up a pinout for whatever multi out your cbox has on the back of it (either neo geo or sega saturn)

and connect from the 9480f to the audio pins there to get stereo on the multiout. or you could do both.

As far as the RGB is concerned, I never fixed it. im converting to component anyway with my setup because all my RGB consoles are output to a crt with component, and the component on the Cbox is fine.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Never mind.
Last edited by orange808 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For the stereo mod you could check if it's been hand-modded (added wires) of or the actual PCB has been revised.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I was under the impression you can only get mono from the Jamma end and for stereo on a 1c you need to tap from the audio amplifier? If that's the case they can't really do it with a PCB revision no?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Timeharvest is selling them on Amazon Now also.

no need to order from aliexpress and wait a month on it anymore.

I got mine on ebay though. I bought the only slightly used one. got a good deal too. Its the newer one with component and the sega saturn av connector.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no need to order from aliexpress and wait a month on it anymore.
still shipped from China though. And considerably more expensive than through AliExpress, so not really an advantage, is it ?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

My bad. Should have followed this thread more closely. I didn't test the SCART. Using RCA outs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

why? The RCAs on my units (and Retrocore's unit and all others) just delivered the same mono signel through both RCAs, so if yours does output stereo through the very same connector, then maybe this has been fixed indeed. After all. Mine doesn't have a battery holder either, so if he fixed the one, he might have fixed the other as well.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh wrote:why? The RCAs on my units (and Retrocore's unit and all others) just delivered the same mono signel through both RCAs, so if yours does output stereo through the very same connector, then maybe this has been fixed indeed. After all. Mine doesn't have a battery holder either, so if he fixed the one, he might have fixed the other as well.
Yep. I've got stereo using the RCA audio outs.

I'll open it up next week and see what's been done.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Fudoh wrote:For the stereo mod you could check if it's been hand-modded (added wires) of or the actual PCB has been revised.
Mine rca's are hand modded for stereo, must be something they starting do in later iterations.
bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 »

I just bought a used one,should be here friday. The previous owner used component but I want to use scart with my switcher.

Assuming the one I'm getting uses Saturn RGB,will this be the correct cable? I see she has the resistors and capacitors in the cable but I was just double checking.

https://retro-access.com/collections/se ... -lead-cord
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

did anyone order one or more of the cboxes from Timeharvest on Aliexpress? are they reliable? did you get it in a reasonable amount of time?

I got mine used off ebay. im thinking about buying another one.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Syntax wrote:What do guys think a Neo-geo memory card actually saves??
That's what you'd think but they don't. Just game positions and only on compatible games. The idea was that you could start a game at home and then pick up where you left off in the arcade. I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to do that though. I certainly had no intention of paying to play Neo Geo games I had at home when I had my AES.

I only tried it on Viewpoint though.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Does anyone know if those Cbox MVS consoles can also play regular Jamma PCBs?

If not, it's harder to see the benefit over simply buying one of the cheap 1-slot motherboards off eBay for $80 and a $60 Supergun with the desired output (I've seen ones with RGB, component and SVideo).

With either option, you still need to buy or build your own joysticks. It would look just as nice (and neat) with the 1-slot and supergun packed inside a double joystick control panel box (painted Neo Geo red).

Still.... those Cbox consoles are a lot cheaper than any of the US made variants. It seems to have been inscribed into legend that they break upscalers but, as far as I can tell, that happened once. There is no evidence that it was the Cbox that broke it except that it happened to be connect to it at the time.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Nah, the cbox is neo geo mvs only.

but the same company offers something for playing jamma boards on your tv. it has a nice transparent case just like the cbox. also support saturn controllers.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

mvsfan wrote:Nah, the cbox is neo geo mvs only.

but the same company offers something for playing jamma boards on your tv. it has a nice transparent case just like the cbox. also support saturn controllers.

I guess a lot depends on how a person plans to use it, how good their diy skills are and how much spare cash they have to spend....

In this case though, for a person with fairly modest diy skills, it seems like the cheapest and best solution is to buy a supergun and a cheap 1-slot (over buying two seperate consoles).

There are numerous YouTube clips showing how easy it is to wire up arcade buttons and joysticks. No soldering required. It is just connecting wires to numbered screw terminals.

To make it look neat and console-like, you just need to be able to make a 10" x 24" rectangle box and stick a Neo Geo control panel sticker on the top.

Still, the premade console will definately appeal more to people with no time or inclination for any sort of diy.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Classicgamer wrote:
mvsfan wrote:Nah, the cbox is neo geo mvs only.

I guess a lot depends on how a person plans to use it, how good their diy skills are and how much spare cash they have to spend....

In this case though, for a person with fairly modest diy skills, it seems like the cheapest and best solution is to buy a supergun and a cheap 1-slot (over buying two seperate consoles).

There are numerous YouTube clips showing how easy it is to wire up arcade buttons and joysticks. No soldering required. It is just connecting wires to numbered screw terminals.

To make it look neat and console-like, you just need to be able to make a 10" x 24" rectangle box and stick a Neo Geo control panel sticker on the top.

Still, the premade console will definately appeal more to people with no time or inclination for any sort of diy.
Personally I feel the cheapest DIY method would be buy a Cbox and use it as a supergun. Lets you use Saturn controllers too.
NuAgeHeat

Post by NuAgeHeat »

jd213 wrote:Hooked up the AliExpress supergun last night. Only tried the RGBS output to a PVM but it looks pretty good, although I'm getting a small bit of curving toward the right at the top of the screen with my only non-CPS II board (T.M.N.T), I assume it's not a problem with the board since the curving didn't appear in the screen pictures taken by the seller on his setup. The board might not have been seated in the JAMMA connector correctly, I had a bit of trouble getting it in all the way.

Unfortunately Saturn controllers aren't a very good choice for Capcom fighters (at least CPS II) due to how Capcom implemented 6-button input and how the supergun maps the Saturn controller buttons: the punch buttons are the standard Shot 1-2-3 buttons while the kick buttons obviously use separate kick harness wiring, and the Saturn A-B-C buttons are mapped to Shot 1-2-3 (which makes sense for standard 1-2-3 button games because it would be awkward to use X-Y-Z), so the punch buttons end up on the bottom and the kick buttons are on the top. So you'll need to wire a separate controller (or two) for Capcom fighters. I'm more interested in shmups and belt scrollers so no big deal to me, personally.
I got a CBOX just recently and am kind of curious about the supergun they offer, which it sounds like you have. On the Neo Geo CBOX, you can hold a button combination to change how the Saturn buttons are mapped to the controller. Wondering if this carries over to the generic supergun. What happens when you hold L + R + Start + B?
Simply hold L + R + Start + <input> (this will also cause the debug screen to open in-game.) Hit your desired input mapping and the mapping layout will change instantly (for both controllers from what I can tell.)

L + R + Start + <input> ABCD maps to <layout>
A ABCX
B XYZA
C ABXY
X BCYZ
Y ABC_ and XYZ_ (turbo)
Z ABCX (turbo)
Y & Z mappings are special in that they give certain buttons turbo mode. In the Y mode there is no D button but ABC and XYZ are mirrored with the XYZ providing turbo.
From https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comment ... rn_button/
jd213

Post by jd213 »

NuAgeHeat wrote: I got a CBOX just recently and am kind of curious about the supergun they offer, which it sounds like you have. On the Neo Geo CBOX, you can hold a button combination to change how the Saturn buttons are mapped to the controller. Wondering if this carries over to the generic supergun. What happens when you hold L + R + Start + B?
Pretty sure CBOX is just short for Control Box, which is what people in Japan (and maybe Singapore) use to refer to a supergun ("コントロールボックス"). This is the one that I have: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JAMMA-C ... 57003.html

Thanks for the tip on changing the button layout, hopefully it works on these CBOXes too. Will try and test it on my CBOX tonight. Wish the seller had put this info in the product description...
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Has anyone here with a Cbox Neo Geo console tried it with one of the 161 in 1 carts?

I had a frustrating time with a few different 1-slot models in terms of compatibility. You get a lot of graphical glitches and missing graphics if you have certain MVS models. Also, apparently...a universal bios mod causes problems for multi-carts with all models.

This is worth considering as the 161 in 1 is the only thing that makes an MVS 1-slot worth owning these days for some people. I'm no collector and I have no intention of going back to spending $40 - $1000 per game....

The other thing worth thinking about for those that also want to be able to use Jamma PCBs is how easy it is to use 6 button games like SF2. I got a SNES adapter for my supergun thinking I could use a SNES Capcom joystick but only 3 buttons worked. The other 3 still need a seperately wired kick harness. If you use a Neo Geo stick for other PCBs, only 3 of the 4 buttons can be used without additional wiring mods.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The CBox supergun has pins for two kick harnesses. The addtional buttons are handled by the Neo Geo or Saturn controller ports and the signal is forwarded to the pins. You wire the CBox supergun to the PCB using the kick harness.

You just plug in the controllers into the CBox supergun and use them as normal.

The CBox supergun is not standard JAMMA, by the way. Button four is wired directly to the PCB JAMMA edge connection. Neo Geo is plug and play.

I don't see anything difficult about plugging your kick harness in to the CBox supergun port. Works fine.

The multicarts are known to have dodgy quality. It many situations one multicart will have individual issues and another identical multicart will have entirely different problems with different games.

I also have a CBox Neo Geo. In my case, I have a couple multicarts and they work fine on the CBox Neo Geo console. I also have a Neo Geo one slot I used in a cabinet previously. I don't plug multicarts into my one slot PCB. First of all, I don't use it because I got rid of my cabinet and it's inconvenient. Second, if I'm going to fry a Neo Geo board with these dodgy multicarts, I don't want to fry my good one.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

jd213 wrote: Thanks for the tip on changing the button layout, hopefully it works on these CBOXes too. Will try and test it on my CBOX tonight. Wish the seller had put this info in the product description...
Late to the party again, but just wanted to confirm that L + R + Start + B does indeed switch the ABC/XYZ button mappings on my CBOX, so Saturn controllers can now be properly used for Capcom fighters.
NuAgeHeat

Post by NuAgeHeat »

jd213 wrote:
jd213 wrote: Thanks for the tip on changing the button layout, hopefully it works on these CBOXes too. Will try and test it on my CBOX tonight. Wish the seller had put this info in the product description...
Late to the party again, but just wanted to confirm that L + R + Start + B does indeed switch the ABC/XYZ button mappings on my CBOX, so Saturn controllers can now be properly used for Capcom fighters.
That's hot! Thanks for confirming