Garo Component to SCART / VGA???

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SNK-NEO-GEO

Garo Component to SCART / VGA???

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Hello.. I am looking to connect an original Xbox/Wii/Gamecube and maybe a PS2 component to an NEC XM29 plus..

-requirements
Xbox component 480p to NEC RGB VGA input
Wii component 480i/480p to NEC RGB VGA input
USA Gamecube component 240p/480p to NEC RGB VGA input.
Maybe a PS2 component - to NEC RGB VGA input

I was watching the Garo review and it seems that, the Garo meets my requirements.. The only down side that I see is that there is only one component input on the Garo and I would need 3 or more and would like to avoid adding an external component switch to the chain.

question - What is the best solution/device out there that would meet the requirements and that has more than one component input and how does it compared to the Garo performance wise, no lag?

thanks for the feedback..
The Future Is Now
SavagePencil

Re: Garo Component to SCART / VGA???

Post by SavagePencil »

Buy a component switch here:

http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gcompsw-v1-0

...make sure the TV will accept 240p over VGA first. Mine doesn’t.

The Garo will do the component to VGA.

Alternative: convert component to SCART.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Chances are you're not going to find an RGB decoder with multiple component inputs. You're going to need a component switch and a discrete RGB decoder.

My recommendation is that you pick up:
  • A gcompsw (as SavagePencil recommended), or an Audio Authority 1154A or 1154B on eBay if you can't wait for the next gcompsw batch; and
  • An Extron CVC 200 or CVC 300, with some RCA->BNC adapters for the YPbPr input (assuming RCA) and a few BNC cables to hook to the XM29; OR
  • A YPbPr to VGA converter like this one from Monoprice (mainly since you won't be able to easily find something like a functional Kramer FC-4040) with a VGA to 5x BNC cable (assuming you don't already have one).

Side note: I find it a little odd that going from YPbPr to RGB is so convoluted, when it's comparatively easy to go the other way; all I'd need for my RGBS sources would be a gscartsw (or some Hydra variant), a ShinyBow SB-2840, and some cables, all of which are reasonably available; but devices for converting YPbPr to RGBS are quite difficult to find these days. :/
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

There is an Audio Authority ypbpr to vga. 9A65, I got one on eBay some years back for like $10 shipped. Works great when I've used it.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:Hello.. I am looking to connect an original Xbox/Wii/Gamecube and maybe a PS2 component to an NEC XM29 plus..

-requirements
Xbox component 480p to NEC RGB VGA input
Wii component 480i/480p to NEC RGB VGA input
USA Gamecube component 240p/480p to NEC RGB VGA input.
Maybe a PS2 component - to NEC RGB VGA input

I was watching the Garo review and it seems that, the Garo meets my requirements.. The only down side that I see is that there is only one component input on the Garo and I would need 3 or more and would like to avoid adding an external component switch to the chain.

question - What is the best solution/device out there that would meet the requirements and that has more than one component input and how does it compared to the Garo performance wise, no lag?

thanks for the feedback..
I use an OSSC to a DAC (Tendak) for all inputs. (Hdmi > DAC > Dsub 15 vga cable > dsub to BNC RGBHV)

I like it for 480p scale x2 and the OSSC scanline intensities.

I am not sure if you could use 480p x2 as your max res is XGA.

As a bonus you could play your 15khz games in 480p and not be forced to use the line blanking built into the xm29. (No scanlines)

And no lag so you can pull off your SHIN SHUN GOKU SATSU special move.

And I would recommend a component switcher as well.
Copyright 1987
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

,"My recommendation is that you pick up:
A gcompsw (as SavagePencil recommended), or an Audio Authority 1154A or 1154B on eBay if you can't wait for the next gcompsw batch; and
An Extron CVC 200 or CVC 300, with some RCA->BNC adapters for the YPbPr input (assuming RCA) and a few BNC cables to hook to the XM29; OR
A YPbPr to VGA converter like this one from Monoprice (mainly since you won't be able to easily find something like a functional Kramer FC-4040) with a VGA to 5x BNC cable (assuming you don't already have one).

Thanks for the feedback all..

The Extron or the one linked from monoprice how are they in regards to lag and how does it compare to the garo? The review in the Garo mentioned no lag..

I have an emotia SVC 500 does that work? How about a DVDO 50? Does it do pass the video signal without updcaling? It has 2 components input and a BNC input and a BNC out put with YPbPr..
The Future Is Now
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Extron was long available for very little money. Don't spend too much on it. It performs very well, but you have a selector on the front which you have to (?) adjust for various signals. The Extron is lag free.

The Monoprice isn't lag free, since the signal runs through a scaling engine.

The VSC500 is a scan converter and can't be used for that.
The VP50 be used for this conversion, but technically it's not a straight transcoder, even if you set the output res to your input res. Also the image gets converted to 4:2:2 color resolution (to strong reds lose a little of resolution). The VP50 adds 7ms of lag for converting from one progressive singnal to another.

The Audio Authority transcoders and the ones easiest to get. They perform well and have no lag.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

@Fudoh - thanks for the feedback.. which one do you recommend? the 9A65 as suggested by SteamFlogger Boss?
The Future Is Now
Steamflogger Boss

The 9A65 I was going to link you to on eBay sold, did you end up with it?

There is an older model (9A62) but I don't have any experience with that one. I believe it also supports less resolutions whereas the 9A65 goes up to 1080i.

Considering it's cheaper (by a fair bit) and probably about identical in function (for your purposes anyway) compared to those Extrons, it's what I'd go with.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Yes.. I grabbed a 9A65:)
The Future Is Now
Steamflogger Boss

Ah good, good. I was worried maybe someone else snagged it.

As for a switch I would recommend the AA 1154A. Someone else mentioned it earlier. I have two and have experienced no issues with them, and it auto-switches like the gcompsw. I'm sure the gcompsw is very nice, but it's also a lot more money. I haven't used one of those myself, if anyone here has used both maybe they could comment if it's noticeably better.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Thanks for the heads up and recommendations..
If anyone has use a Garo and the Audio Authority 9A65 I would like to hear the comparisons.. also, do they still make the Garo? Showing out of stock.
The Future Is Now
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Your sources all are 31khz only (480p). Output quality on the AA will be indistinguishable from the input.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

@Fudoh -- thank you!:)
The Future Is Now