NESRGB mod installation small issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mendion

NESRGB mod installation small issue

Post by Mendion »

Hi everybody.

Today I finished installing my first NESRGB mod to a Front Loader NES.

I believe I've done fairly well considering I don't have too much expertise with the soldering iron. It was ALMOST a success on the first try!
But I'm having a small issue and I can't find where is the problem.

The image changes when I move or touch the board from normal to a strange colorless and glitchy image. I'm attaching 2 videos to show what is exactly doing.
It surely is some bad connection on a solder joint, but I can't quite found where the issue is. I spent more than an hour with the multimeter checking continuity on everything and according to that, all is fine.

Can someone guide me to where to look after seeing the behavior of the fault on the videos?

Here are the videos:

Super Mario Bros 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9MW0ODpdZQ

Life Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Aix5zKHzY

Thanks!
Syntax

Re: NESRGB mod installation small issue

Post by Syntax »

Recheck/reflow all ppu pins. One of them is either loose or bad solder joint.
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

Syntax wrote:Recheck/reflow all ppu pins. One of them is either loose or bad solder joint.
Thanks, Syntax.

It was a bad solder joint between the PPU and the NESRGB board. It is working fine now!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

That's a shame, those ghosts looked kinda cool :D

Glad it was a fast easy fix for you.
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

Ok, I have 2 more things to tackle about this mod:

I've used a scavenged SNES multiout port for the output.
RGB is working using a SNES SCART cable. Also tried a SNES Composite cable and a SNES S-Video cable. All is working.

But I have to fiddle a little bit more with these 2 issues:

- I tried a HD Retrovision Component cable I already have for my SNES that is working fine on a consumer Philips CRT. It did not worked. Black screen, no signal. Audio works fine.
- Original composite output gives me a weird image. It's all white and grey, with no other colors. I've uploaded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignUZZ7YCyM

Here is a pic of the work I've done on the NESRGB board:

Last edited by Mendion on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

you didnt say wether you are trying to use the hd retrovision cable with a flatscreen or not.

it doesnt work with many flatscreens because they dont support 240p over component.

if you get lucky, your flatscreen still has an s-video port which does support 240p.

or you can use RGB and convert it to VGA.
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

mvsfan wrote:you didnt say wether you are trying to use the hd retrovision cable with a flatscreen or not.

it doesnt work with many flatscreens because they dont support 240p over component.

if you get lucky, your flatscreen still has an s-video port which does support 240p.

or you can use RGB and convert it to VGA.
Forgot to mention that.

I'm already using the HD Retrovision cable with a SNES on a consumer Philips CRT. It's working without issues. Not interested on using it on a flat modern TV.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Mendion wrote:Original composite output gives me a weird image. It's all white and grey, with no other colors. I've uploaded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignUZZ7YCyM
That’s what it should do with the NESRGB enabled. You have to either leave the palette switch pads disconnected or have your palette switch wired appropriately in order for the original composite video to work.
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

ApolloBoy wrote:
Mendion wrote:Original composite output gives me a weird image. It's all white and grey, with no other colors. I've uploaded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignUZZ7YCyM
That’s what it should do with the NESRGB enabled. You have to either leave the palette switch pads disconnected or have your palette switch wired appropriately in order for the original composite video to work.
Ok, didn't know that. So, palette switch off should give normal image over original composite...

What about the HD Retrovision cable not working? Does somebody know what is happening there?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Do you have 5V and ground connected to your multiout connector? If you don’t, the transcoder in the cable won’t be able to power on.
Kagigod

Post by Kagigod »

Mendion wrote:Ok, I have 2 more things to tackle about this mod:

I've used a scavenged SNES multiout port for the output.
RGB is working using a SNES SCART cable. Also tried a SNES Composite cable and a SNES S-Video cable. All is working.

But I have to fiddle a little bit more with these 2 issues:

- I tried a HD Retrovision Component cable I already have for my SNES that is working fine on a consumer Philips CRT. It did not worked. Black screen, no signal. Audio works fine.
- Original composite output gives me a weird image. It's all white and grey, with no other colors. I've uploaded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignUZZ7YCyM

Here is a pic of the work I've done on the NESRGB board:

Where are you getting the audio from?
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

Kagigod wrote: Where are you getting the audio from?
From the mono audio pad that is near the RF box. Here is a picture: