Which monitor to buy?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FlyingFinn

Re: Which monitor to buy?

Post by FlyingFinn »

Ok, I couldn't resist and I bought Dell u2419h although there are very few reviews yet.

Image and colors are phenomenal, really outstanding. 1:1 pixel mapping is nice to have but it does not work correctly in every mode. I played a few minutes in 480i bob x2 mode, and there was no visible burn-in, I was afraid to continue further, as this was my first test with this mode.

I have some questions wrt. negative issues I have observed (store has 32 day return policy), any advice appreciated:
- My monitor does not show line x5 (from psx ntsc/jap rgb scart). Is this normal in other Dell U24 models as well?
- There is clearly IPS glow, especially in bottom-right corner, around 10cm x 5cm, like hazy cloud. Is this more like backlight bleeding?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

If the glow stays visible if you look directly at at (not at an angle) it is backlight bleeding.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Good examples of glow here, more or less pronounced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eA2IjlotJU

Backlight bleed is more like bright stains you can indeed see even facing the monitor properly, they're always here no matter the angle, it's a defect.
Spoiler
FlyingFinn wrote:- My monitor does not show line x5
Many (most?) displays unfortunately can't, or it shows but it's re-scaled even if your monitor is 1080p or 1200p.
Few 1080p and 1200p displays will show the OSSC's x5 mode as 1:1 pixel perfect.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I still use my Sony PS3 monitor for HD games. The image quality and response times are considerably better than I would have expected.

It has several features that make it nice as an all round flatscreen gaming monitor. It has two HDMI and a one component video input. In addition to HD sources, you can connect (directly) 15khz consoles through component. I haven't tried 240p but 480i definately works.

Consoles like the Wii and PS2 with no HDMI output can be displayed properly in their native 15khz and look good. PS2 games that switch between 15khz and 31khz are also no problem.

With it being a native 1080p panel, HD games look very nice too.

The only downside is that is uses active 3d glasses which need charging. The upside is that you don't lose resolution on 3d games. Plus it takes advantage of that two player full screen (for both players) thing using 3d glasses to make each player see their own screen.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Thanks Xyga and Thomago for your advise!
Thomago wrote:If the glow stays visible if you look directly at at (not at an angle) it is backlight bleeding.
Strange is, that it is visible from direct ahead but when looking from one angle, it is less visible, guess other things come to play.

It does not disappear when I look directly at it, so it is bleedimg then. Dang, I could have lived with other more minor bleeds but this one in bottom right bothers me. Disapppointed since I really liked the display.

I guess I will have to buy another unit or try older U2414h next, it is also available from local store.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Bleed is unfortunately very common from IPS displays, always make sure you can return it.

Some stores like on amazon play on the confusion between glow and bleed to refuse all returns, making it all pass for glow, so beware and don't get fooled by whichever store's policy, whether they're online or local retail.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Well, this is now my second return in short time. I don’t know how many they tolerate...

First one was with Asus VG245H. I expexted you guys to exaggerate pivot issue with TN panels but I found out you weren’t. :D

Colors in Dell were magnificent, I just hope I find one with less background bleeding.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Sorry for the necropost, but I think I heard a loud pop coming from my BenQ XL2411 (27", TN, 144Hz). It's still working for now but I'm on the lookout for a more shmup-friendly replacement.

I'm thinking of getting something IPS, 60Hz, and either 24" or 27". I don't need speakers and would prefer DisplayPort + 1 HDMI. Downgrading from the 144Hz since I only really made use of it for CSGO, Rocket League and on the desktop. Fortunately I can reuse the 100x100 stand for pivot if need be. I've narrowed it down to either a BenQ GW2780 (available locally for ~$240 CAD after taxes) and a VP2468 (~$350 CAD from Amazon after taxes+shipping). Do you guys have any strong opinions either for or against these? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

KaizaCorp wrote:Sorry for the necropost, but I think I heard a loud pop coming from my BenQ XL2411 (27", TN, 144Hz). It's still working for now but I'm on the lookout for a more shmup-friendly replacement.

I'm thinking of getting something IPS, 60Hz, and either 24" or 27". I don't need speakers and would prefer DisplayPort + 1 HDMI. Downgrading from the 144Hz since I only really made use of it for CSGO, Rocket League and on the desktop. Fortunately I can reuse the 100x100 stand for pivot if need be. I've narrowed it down to either a BenQ GW2780 (available locally for ~$240 CAD after taxes) and a VP2468 (~$350 CAD from Amazon after taxes+shipping). Do you guys have any strong opinions either for or against these? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
I have a similar BenQ (RL2755HM), and I would personally never buy anything 60hz again, screen tearing on PC gaming is pretty noticeable, and you really dont want to use V-Sync to add more input delay.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

I could see that for games I can get > 60 fps for, but would it matter for most shmups that run at 60Hz?

(Sorry if this is a silly question!)
KevinThompson

Post by KevinThompson »

Hello, There are many good monitors with high quality and pretty price for selection. Your requirements are not high. So you can choose the 144 hz monitor, 240 hz monitor or common monitor. If you need a good monitor with good price and quality. you can visit here: https://gecey.com/transparent-monitor/. And , you can also use a small tv as a monitor when it is necessary, the resolution is 1920 x 1080.https://gecey.com/15-inch-tv/
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Sorry for reviving this thread but its perfect location for the questions I have. I'm looking to get a new monitor to use for PC gaming ( mainly Steam shmups and indies ) and Switch as well.
I've decided I'm either going with IPS or VA panel and 22/24" screen size. I've recently bought a new 4K TV ( Sony X900F ) which doesn't look like it'll be great for playing Switch on ( no flicker at 60hz ), hence why I would be playing the Switch at home on this monitor mainly. What I can't decide is whether its worth to get a 75hz/144hz display or to stick with good old 60hz. I don't my current GPU will do G-Sync so that's irrelevant for the time being... Will all shmups on steam play nicely with higher refresh rates? And what about any downsides when playing 60hz games ( Switch ) on a 144hz monitor? Otherwise so far for 60hz displays I've set my eyes on either the Dell U2419H or Iiyama XUB2492HSU. The Dell definitely looks nicer in terms of aesthetics :roll:. My budget maxes at £250 I'd say.

P.S. Even if the 4K Sony TV turns out to be alright for playing Switch games I'd still like to have a decent monitor for it as the Switch is getting more and more decent TATE titles and nothing beats sitting up close to a vertical screen with a nice arcade stuck underneath it on the desk. The reason why I have no idea if I'll like the Sony's motion at 60hz is because its still in a box waiting to be set up when I move into a new apartment two weeks from now :D
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

werk91 wrote:Sorry for reviving this thread but its perfect location for the questions I have. I'm looking to get a new monitor to use for PC gaming ( mainly Steam shmups and indies ) and Switch as well.
I've decided I'm either going with IPS or VA panel and 22/24" screen size. I've recently bought a new 4K TV ( Sony X900F ) which doesn't look like it'll be great for playing Switch on ( no flicker at 60hz ), hence why I would be playing the Switch at home on this monitor mainly. What I can't decide is whether its worth to get a 75hz/144hz display or to stick with good old 60hz. I don't my current GPU will do G-Sync so that's irrelevant for the time being... Will all shmups on steam play nicely with higher refresh rates? And what about any downsides when playing 60hz games ( Switch ) on a 144hz monitor? Otherwise so far for 60hz displays I've set my eyes on either the Dell U2419H or Iiyama XUB2492HSU. The Dell definitely looks nicer in terms of aesthetics :roll:. My budget maxes at £250 I'd say.

P.S. Even if the 4K Sony TV turns out to be alright for playing Switch games I'd still like to have a decent monitor for it as the Switch is getting more and more decent TATE titles and nothing beats sitting up close to a vertical screen with a nice arcade stuck underneath it on the desk. The reason why I have no idea if I'll like the Sony's motion at 60hz is because its still in a box waiting to be set up when I move into a new apartment two weeks from now :D
Let me know what you think of the Sony once it's setup. I've been curious about the mid-tier Sonys of the last couple years (X900E, X900F and X950G)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
rs732

Post by rs732 »

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question,so here it goes. I just picked up a Dell U2715H (it was cheap), the stand looks like an after market stand, and only rotates 90 degrees clockwise. Most of my games are in the opposite orientation. I'm clueless with these sorts of things so can some recommend a stand that will rotate both ways?

Here are the specs

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ct ... ell-u2715h
werk91

Post by werk91 »

FinalBaton wrote:
werk91 wrote:Sorry for reviving this thread but its perfect location for the questions I have. I'm looking to get a new monitor to use for PC gaming ( mainly Steam shmups and indies ) and Switch as well.

Let me know what you think of the Sony once it's setup. I've been curious about the mid-tier Sonys of the last couple years (X900E, X900F and X950G)
The Sony X900F has been great honestly! Barely had to do any settings modification out of the box to get everything to how it should be. I'll give it a go with 1080p signal soon but so far for PS4 Pro usage and the internal apps available its been a beautiful display. I could've spent an extra 300£ for an LG C8 but to be honest I don't see how OLED would've looked that much better than it. Also having to worry about screen burn in seems annoying.